DO I need to turn in my CCW and FOID cards if I move to another state?

gmk

Am moving. Do I need to turn in or send in my Ill. FOID and CCW cards after I establish residency in another state? If so where and to whom?

Once you are 'established' in another state, (change of address forms sent out, new driver's licence, etc.) you xerox copy your foid and CCL for your own records, (for just in case reference).

Then, deliver your FOID, with a letter explaining that you have moved and need to cancel the FOID directly to the State Police in Springfield. Your CCL is delivered directly to your (Present) local Chief Law Enforcement Agency with that same letter. Get the receipt for the CCL. The local police agency will deliver the CCL to Springfield.

IF the move is long distance, you would of course want to do all this before the move. IF you are moving just across the state line, then a 20 minute drive back to IL after the move wouldn't be that hard.

I don't believe that you have to turn in your FOID card if you move and become ineligible to possess one.

But under 430 ILCS 66/70 (g) you are required to turn in your FCCL.

I wonder if they were really considering "revoked" in the sense of someone moving out of state when they wrote this...(like an LE in MO or ID is going to jump right on sending that back to ISP)

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=043000660K70

(g) A licensee whose license is revoked, suspended, or denied shall, within 48 hours of receiving notice of the revocation, suspension, or denial, surrender his or her concealed carry license to the local law enforcement agency where the person resides. The local law enforcement agency shall provide the licensee a receipt and transmit the concealed carry license to the Department of State Police. If the licensee whose concealed carry license has been revoked, suspended, or denied fails to comply with the requirements of this subsection, the law enforcement agency where the person resides may petition the circuit court to issue a warrant to search for and seize the concealed carry license in the possession and under the custody or control of the licensee whose concealed carry license has been revoked, suspended, or denied. The observation of a concealed carry license in the possession of a person whose license has been revoked, suspended, or denied constitutes a sufficient basis for the arrest of that person for violation of this subsection. A violation of this subsection is a Class A misdemeanor.

Well, I am already in my new state and is it a distance, so returning the FOID to the State Police is going to have to be by mail, Can I hand them both over to my local Agency and they forward they to the ILSP?

Well, I am already in my new state and is it a distance, so returning the FOID to the State Police is going to have to be by mail, Can I hand them both over to my local Agency and they forward they to the ILSP?

Could just wait for a letter from the ISP once your DL change is processed and see what they tell you to do.

As suggested I would wait for the ISP to contact you about the revocation of your cards. Would you please let us know if they want both cards back or just the FCCL.

Why is it so hard to just grab an envelope and place a stamp or two on it and mail it to the ISP?

The whole hassle of making comments about f'em, come and get it, warrants and such makes the community in Illinois at large look bad. We're the good guys right?

Just turn it in and be done, it's not like it serves any purpose to complain for all the years that illinois has had the FOID.

Why is it so hard to just grab an envelope and place a stamp or two on it and mail it to the ISP?

The whole hassle of making comments about f'em, come and get it, warrants and such makes the community in Illinois at large look bad. We're the good guys right?

Just turn it in and be done, it's not like it serves any purpose to complain for all the years that illinois has had the FOID.

To answer your question about just mailing the cards. Please read Post #9. Once you get revoked they require you to turn your FCCL into local law enforcement within a specified time frame. Plus you get a receipt to prove that your card was turned in within that time frame.

What happens if he just mails his FCCL and it gets lost in the mail. How does he prove that he mailed it in and within the allotted time frame.

The statute states that you have 48 hours to return the FCCL upon notification of revocation. What if they haven't received any such notice? Also, you don't find it a little odd that essentially the state of Illinois is taking the position that they are going to be imposing their laws on someone that is not 1) a resident of the state of Illinois 2) within the jurisdiction of the state of Illinois. I can see that if someone has lived in Illinois for some time, paid ridiculous taxes and been made to feel like they are one of the king's subjects, they might be reluctant to just give up the freedom they have gained in their new state of residence.

Also, Isn't this kind of like the state of New York telling you that you are subject to their AWB even though you aren't a resident of NY or in the state of NY? Are you going to comply if they tell you that you can't have a firearm that they consider forbidden?

"Because I said so." was a valid reason when I was a child. It is no longer a valid reason.

I just moved out of state in March. When Michigan issued me a driver's license, they had to void my Illinois DL and notifying Illinois authorities. I saved my foid and ccl cards in the remote event that litigation in Illinois ever provided for a situation that I might be able to use CCL at some time in the future. I know legislation will never happen to allow me to do so. I take those cards out and look at them occasionally and realize what a good move leaving Illinois was.

Archived