New IL GFZ Signs: Compliant?

sirflyguy

Have any of you been seeing these signs that have everything right except the gun silhouette being a different gun that a 92fs? I saw one at JoAnne Fabric in Carbondale a few months back that looked like a PX4 Storm, and one of my concealed carry students just sent this to me from the movie theater in Marion. The theater had the lower non-compliant sign up since the FCCA was passed. The one on top is a relatively new one.

Requirements for Concealed Carry Signage

Owners of any statutorily prohibited area or private property, excluding residences, where the owner prohibits the carrying of firearms must clearly and conspicuously post the Illinois State Police approved sign, in accordance with Firearm Concealed Carry Act, at the entrance of the building, premises or real property. Please refer to Section 65 (Prohibited Areas) of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act for more information on statutory requirements for signage as well as where concealed weapons are prohibited.

Pursuant to Section 65(d) of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act, signs must be of a uniform design and the Illinois State Police is responsible for adopting rules for standardized signs. The Illinois State Police has proposed rules which require a white background; no text (except the reference to the Illinois Code 430 ILCS 66/1) or marking within the one-inch area surrounding the graphic design; a depiction of a handgun in black ink with a circle around and diagonal slash across the firearm in red ink; and that the circle be 4 inches in diameter. The sign in its entirety will measure 4 inches x 6 inches.

signage.jpg Click on the image or use the link below to download a template of the approved sign.

NOTE: When printing the sign, please ensure the black borders surrounding the "no firearms" symbol measure 4 inches from top to bottom and 6 inches from left to right.

Concealed Carry Prohibited Area Sign (PDF)

https://ispfsb.com/Public/Signage.aspx

Owners of any statutorily prohibited area or private property, excluding residences, where the owner prohibits the carrying of firearms must clearly and conspicuously post the Illinois State Police approved sign, in accordance with Firearm Concealed Carry Act, at the entrance of the building, premises or real property. Please refer to Section 65 (Prohibited Areas) of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act for more information on statutory requirements for signage as well as where concealed weapons are prohibited.

Pursuant to Section 65(d) of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act, signs must be of a uniform design and the Illinois State Police is responsible for adopting rules for standardized signs. The Illinois State Police has proposed rules which require a white background; no text (except the reference to the Illinois Code 430 ILCS 66/1) or marking within the one-inch area surrounding the graphic design; a depiction of a handgun in black ink with a circle around and diagonal slash across the firearm in red ink; and that the circle be 4 inches in diameter. The sign in its entirety will measure 4 inches x 6 inches.

signage.jpg Click on the image or use the link below to download a template of the approved sign.

NOTE: When printing the sign, please ensure the black borders surrounding the "no firearms" symbol measure 4 inches from top to bottom and 6 inches from left to right.

I brought this to the attention of ISP a year or two ago but I see they haven't bothered to correct it. The text from their website quoted above is incorrect. It says, "...no text (except the reference to the Illinois Code 430 ILCS 66/1)..." But in actuality the Administrative Rules defining the no gun sign says no text except "Pursuant to 403 ILCS 66/65." Their sample sign attached above says "Pursuant to 430 ILCS 66/65.".

I've seen a couple (non-compliant) signs that say "Pursuant to 430 ILCS 66/1" instead of "Pursuant to 403 ILCS 66/65." Section 65 of the FCCA is the Prohibited Areas section of the law. Section 1 is just the list of definitions used the FCCA. I don't know why the Administrative Rules say 403 ILCS instead of 430 ILCS. Another typo, I'm assuming.

-- Frank

I have assumed it was legal, but since the law shows a specific sign design, my student was curious. Glad to have a student that noticed the difference in gun silhouettes!

The LAW does no such thing. The LAW has no pictures at all. The JCAR rules provide a sample sign, as does the ISP site (as posted above). No where in either does it say that you have to use that specific, exact sign, only that it has to be 4X6, white background with a black handgun silhouette and a red circle with a slash, and the words "Pursuant to 430 ILCS 66/65.

For your reading pleasure the below is the sum total of what the actual LAW says about the signs. Note: no pictures included...

Signs shall be of a uniform design as established by the Department and shall be 4 inches by 6 inches in size. The Department shall adopt rules for standardized signs to be used under this subsection.

I brought this to the attention of ISP a year or two ago but I see they haven't bothered to correct it. The text from their website quoted above is incorrect. It says, "...no text (except the reference to the Illinois Code 430 ILCS 66/1)..." But in actuality the Administrative Rules defining the no gun sign says no text except "Pursuant to 403 ILCS 66/65." Their sample sign attached above says "Pursuant to 430 ILCS 66/65.".

I've seen a couple (non-compliant) signs that say "Pursuant to 430 ILCS 66/1" instead of "Pursuant to 403 ILCS 66/65." Section 65 of the FCCA is the Prohibited Areas section of the law. Section 1 is just the list of definitions used the FCCA. I don't know why the Administrative Rules say 403 ILCS instead of 430 ILCS. Another typo, I'm assuming.

-- Frank

If this is the case (I have never seen that before today), the administrative rules have a typo. The actual law in question IS 430 ILCS (Public Safety) 66 (Firearm Concealed Carry Act)/65 (Prohibited Places). I don't know that 403 ILCS even exists.

We are really doing this 5 plus years later?

I thought he was kidding

And the hand drawn picture was a sign it isn’t real

This whole sign legal or not thing has been beaten to death

Lighten up, dude.

Not everyone who carries is a member here, or were years ago when we had this discussion.

New people are carrying every day, and if they have questions, they should receive answers.

If you feel it's beating a dead horse, you're welcome to not participate.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

It is good to periodically go over old material for our new comrades, even when it seems annoying and all those who keep up on this stuff know it should have been covered in The Class and be easily accessible in the students notes or Official Class Handouts.

I think we should take turns being supportive in the quest for rules clarification or outraged at the battered equine carcasses littering this hallowed place...

As I recall... the sign must be the official sign available from ISP. All others are non-compliant and yet should probably be honored as compliant as they indicate the wishes of the establishment they are posted upon. One verified exception is the confusing non-compliant sign posted at (da) Jewel(s). It is a notice to on duty vendors and employees.

Having a standard sign posted in a specified standard location with no deviations allowed makes it easy for us to spot.

I imagine this was intentional.

We are really doing this 5 plus years later?

I thought he was kidding

And the hand drawn picture was a sign it isn’t real

This whole sign legal or not thing has been beaten to death

Lighten up, dude.

Not everyone who carries is a member here, or were years ago when we had this discussion.

New people are carrying every day, and if they have questions, they should receive answers.

If you feel it's beating a dead horse, you're welcome to not participate.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Sorry

I assumed the guy who posted (OP) with over 2700 posts and a member since ‘09 would know!

But I get it, he’s new to carry and hasn’t been here.

No beating a horse then, just carry on.........

As I recall... the sign must be the official sign available from ISP. All others are non-compliant

No. There is no official sign. The sign on the ISP site is just an example.

A compliant sign could have a black revolver, as long as all the requirements were met.

My local State's Attorney disagrees with you.

One of the folks from GSL, who shall not be mentioned here, carried in a location which was ostensibly "posted", but with a non-standard sign - I think it might have been the revolver one that you mention. He made no secret about it, and our State's Attorney said based on the language in the statute, it had to be the EXACT sign that the statute references. Down to the prescribed size, with the statute citation, and even including the black border.

Yes, this seems nit-picky and stupid, but as I say to people at work every day, when you are dealing with the law, words mean things, and you have to think about what they mean in order to interpret the law. This is a poorly drafted statute, and a direct result of the legislature not being able to leave well enough the *heck* alone, and feeling the need to micromanage every detail.

Would I expect this same result in Cook County? No. Thank God there are still parts of Illinois where there is some freedom.

When, and IF you carry past a sign, do you tell the manager inside?

Do you walk funny, adjust your belt every 5 seconds, ready as high as possible, stoop over for every item in the store?

Is you carry license on the back of you phone in one of these clear cases for credit cards, ( yes I saw the guys license ).

Based upon this, I would never advocate the breaking of any laws and to just ignore. But we all have been there and done that.

And can’t remember reading or hearing about a CONCEALED Carrier being busted for it without being a @$$clown prior to getting busted. Or actually being the smooth operator who draws his weapon to settle a dispute over the bar nuts with the guy at the end of the bar.

Many have advocated here before for years, strap it on and conceal it and go.

Those who have posted about worrying about printing and comfort and clothing etc. Have all been to to relax and Conceal it and go on out.

We cant post about it, CoC, but sit there and think about it, when and where have you made that stop and went in and came back out?

Nope, not flaunting the law, but as discomfortable as the signs are, we do our best to live our lives as we have decided and move on!

Here, we cant post about it, but right after you read this......raise you hand if any of it is true for you!

We've had this discussion in Texas ad infinitum. Like your ISP sign, our sign (prohibitng CC on the premises) is the 30.06, specifically described in that statute. Some want to argue that the letters are not exactly one-inch, or it's the wrong size, etc. I think if you want to be your own lawyer and walk past what you think is a non-compliant sign, you take your chances. You may beat the rap, but not the ride, so they say.

Personally, a business that goes to the trouble to try and post a 30.06 sign, even if non-compliant, is not going to get my money.

ETA: There are also a lot of places that post "gun-buster" signs, mostly I think to keep the ignorant happy, when they know they have no affect on a license holder.

My local McDonald’s has this sign on its door, I don’t know if it’s new or I just never noticed it before. The next-closest McDonald’s doesn’t have this sign.

I don’t know if it’s a franchise or a corporate thing. I can’t help but wonder if franchise owners or corporate managers are testing the waters to see if they get any feedback one way or the other before they decide to put the compliant 4x6 signs on their doors.5278e892e26a748bf40a40c80554c91b.jpga423ab70f8545d8d099e068d2df82e42.jpg

Archived