Pepper Spray Question

RyansRights247

So I've tried searching Google, etc, and have conflicting answers regarding pepper spray.

My question is whether or not I can arm my under age daughters (age 15 & 17) with pepper spray?

I recently purchased 4 pepper sprays (1 for each of my daughters, age 15, 17, & 19, as well as one for my wife). But now I'm concerned that the younger 2 girls may get into trouble by carrying pepper spray. If they can't carry that, then how else can a teenage girl defend herself? (I'm actually asking for suggestions...)

My daughters' recently had a teammate on their school's cross country team attacked while practicing at the Rock Cut State Park near Rockford. Luckily she got away with some scratches & bruises, but it could have been WAY worse. It also could have happened to ANYONE, including one of my girls, who were there at the same time...

From what I've found, it appears you need to be 18 yrs. old, or possibly 16 if you have a parent's written note, but again, what I'm finding online is inconsistent.

Any input on the legalities would be greatly appreciated.

When my one of my daughters was the same age as your younger ones (6-8 yrs ago) it was considered UUW to carry or possess it under the age of 18 in IL.I discussed it with her and it was decided the benefits outweighed the risk of getting caught with it and I allowed it anyway,YMMV.

(a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:

(3) Carries on or about his person or in any vehicle, a tear gas gun projector or bomb or any object containing noxious liquid gas or substance, other than an object containing a non-lethal noxious liquid gas or substance designed solely for personal defense carried by a person 18 years of age or older

(b) Sentence. A person convicted of a violation of subsection 24-1(a)(1) through (5) ... commits a Class A misdemeanor....

So a person has to be at least 18 years old to carry a "noxious liquid" for personal defense in Illinois. Interestingly, there is no text to prohibit the defensive USE of oc spray by those under 18, just the possession.

I guess there's always a pocket knife, as long as the person under 18 doesn't "intend" to use it as a weapon. Otherwise, I'd say the choice is victim vs. misdemeanor.

My step son used pepper spray to defend himself against a bar bully in Dewitt county. He was in his 30’s. Turns out they have a law that you can’t use it in their county. He was charged by the county, not the man he was defending himself against. Convicted and put on probation for a year. My position is the same as others. Let your daughters carry the pepper spray. Better to have to defend themselves in court then to be found raped or dead.

Thanks for the input everyone. I guess it comes down to the fact that we will have to choose between protecting yourself, vs being legally compliant. In this day & age of civil unrest as well as the insane amount of human trafficking (and of course rapes and assaults), I'm most certainly going to lean towards teaching them everything I can to protect themselves, including using any available "weapons".

BTW, Euler, regarding the "security" at school events, their cross county team were simply using the "buddy system" when running in the forest preserve, but in this case (practice, not a meet), the victim stopped to walk for some physical issue, and so her partner ran ahead, and they were all going to catch up on the way back. Unfortunately, within minutes of being alone, she heard a noise, and was immediately attacked from behind. She was extremely lucky to escape mostly unharmed. Since then, they've changed several policies to prevent anyone from ever being alone.

Meanwhile, I'm mostly concerned with the rest of everyday life with all the vulnerable situations that teenage girls get into.

Thanks again for all of your help.

When I used to work in the loop area of Chicago (where most buildings are posted no-guns zones), I carried a Kimber Pepper Blaster in a belt holster.

It's very concealable and you can draw, aim and fire it like a handgun, which utilizes those skills we all practice.

It has a 13 foot range, is not an aerosol and has a longer shelf life than regular pepper spray. Only drawback is, you only get two shots.

https://www.kimberamerica.com/pepper-blaster

When I used to work in the loop area of Chicago (where most buildings are posted no-guns zones), I carried a Kimber Pepper Blaster in a belt holster.

It's very concealable and you can draw, aim and fire it like a handgun, which utilizes those skills we all practice.

It has a 13 foot range, is not an aerosol and has a longer shelf life than regular pepper spray. Only drawback is, you only get two shots.

https://www.kimberamerica.com/pepper-blaster

I guess something like this is better than nothing, but carrying it in addition to a defensive handgun would seem a bit much. I don't have enough pockets for everything I carry now, let alone adding another gun-sized defensive tool.

As to choosing between being able to defend oneself versus complying with the law, this was something I faced everyday before legal concealed carry became possible here in IL. And it is still true when I would travel to NY to see my aged mother, who has since passed on. I could legally carry from here in IL, through IN, OH and PA but passing into NJ and then on to NY, carrying a handgun would have been a serious felony infraction in those two states. Even just having an unloaded gun in my vehicle would have been a felony offense. So every trip I was faced with making a choice between traveling the entire trip unarmed, or being armed and taking my chances with getting caught when in NJ and NY. No citizen, with the protection of the 2nd Amendment, should ever be put into that situation, but it is a fact of life in the America of today with much of the country being controlled by the Left that just cannot stomach the idea of the People being armed.

Archived