My local Jewel - interesting sign

Gamma

Is this Jewel place a chain in northern IL? I haven't heard of it before. I'm down south near St. Louis.

Jewel-Osco is a supermarket chain headquartered in Itasca, Illinois, a Chicago suburb.[1] Jewel-Osco has 185 stores across northern, central, and western Illinois; eastern Iowa; and portions of northwest Indiana.[2] Jewel-Osco and Jewel are currently wholly owned subsidiaries of Boise, Idaho-based Albertsons.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewel_(supermarket)

• 2 weeks later...

The non-compliant sign that was posted at the Jewel in DeKalb is now down. Don't know if this is a trend in Jewel management policy, or if someone not authorized by Jewel took it down.

The Jewel by me took down the sign on one entrance but not the other. My guess it these signs fell down and they never bothered to fix it. Hopefully they will all fall down soon. :D

• 4 months later...

Holy necropost Batman.

Ok so I guess I had forgotten about the end result of the Jewel posted issue, even though it started right after I started the Walmart posted thread (yes I am to blame, but I never though it would take on a life of it's own).

I don't shop at Jewel much, only a couple of times in the last year or two.

But they had a killer deal on chuck steaks today, so I drove past my normal stores and headed on in.

While shopping I glanced over at an entrance door and saw that evil looking Beretta.

Crud I thinks to myself, these people have posted.

I almost left my cart and walked out, but I was almost done so I swallowed my morals (I couldn't do it for Doughnuts at the local Dunkin, but for red meat....), plus I justified it to myself that I would send in my receipt along with a letter of protest, and all future receipts from competitors.

On my way out I took a close look at the sign, had to stand in the road and shield my eyes, due to the shining sun and sign placement, to see that it was actually the employee only version.

I think that I had even seen this on another visit in the past, right after they started posting, but since I don't visit often I had forgotten.

Made for an unpleasant experience, weighing my morals against my need for red meat, while checking out.

Other than that I do like Jewel, just not their normal prices.

Clean store, friendly staff, used to shop at them a lot years ago.

Anyway they are running an online survey sweep stakes and I took the time to voice my displeasure with their choice of signs.

If anyone else shops at one, I recommend taking the survey and voicing your displeasure.

The Jewel on the edge of Oak Park and Berwyn has the employees only No Guns sign. The Jewel in River Forest however has no sign. Power shrug.

Most Jewels still have the "employees only" sign. Some have no sign. My guess is that in some places the sign fell down and they never bother to fix it. But I have never seen a Jewel with the actual "no guns" sign, just the employee only version. It's what gets Jewel labeled as "anti-gun lite". They're not actually restricting our rights, but they are confusing a lot of people.

Archived