Photo

URGENT Legislative 12/31/12

Senate to Push Gun and Mag ba

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
195 replies to this topic

#31 Geneseo1911

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

FWIW, the link on the ISRA email gave me incorrect info. Bud's link above is the IL State Board of elections, which worked much better for me.

#32 oneshot

• Members
  • 6,969 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

Done.

Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave. - Andrew Fletcher 1698

#33 TyGuy

• Members
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

There is an IL Legislative app. I used it when helping at IGOLD last year.
ILSP Approved CCW Instructor
NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

My favorite post ----- Walmart Thread ----- Ammo Alert Thread ---- Daily Deals Thread

#34 Capt_Destro

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

I can't get any calls through to this guy... I keep getting machines... Gives me time to think of something .
When picking a firearm, you want one that is like a heavy chick. A gun that is reliable, doesn't mind getting rough, and one that goes bang every time. What's the point of having something pretty looking it isn't up for the task?

#35 sirflyguy

• Members
  • 2,735 posts

To Senator Forby via his contact page, since none of his phones were being answered:

Dear Senator Forby,
I just tried to call both of your offices and couldn't get anyone to answer. I am sure it is because of the holiday. It has come to my attention that Senate President Cullerton is planning to try and push through a Diane Feinstein-styled semi-automatic firearm and magazine ban when you all reconvene for the lame duck session on Wednesday, Jan. 2. You have been a supporter of 2A rights throughout your time in the senate, and I hope that you will vehemently oppose this dreadful and misguided attempt to punish law-abiding gun owners. A similar measure, when tried during the Clinton years, did nothing to curtail gun crimes. This is yet another knee-jerk reaction by politicians to appear to be doing something during an emotional time, yet never getting to the actual cause of the problem. Please encourage your colleagues to also vote against this. The time to act is now, and the gun owners of your district are counting on you to be the voice of truth and reason. Please: STOP THIS BILL.

United States Concealed Carry Association Certified Firearms Instructor

Defensive Firearms Coach (DFC) 

Fundamentals of Home Defense Handgun

Fundamentals of Concealed Carry
NRA-Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA-Certified Personal Protection In the Home Instructor
NRA-Certified Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor 
NRA-Certified Chief Range Safety Officer

IL FCCA Approved Instructor
http://www.mlftraining.com
https://www.facebook...ps/mlftraining/

#36 mauserme

Eliminating the element of surprise one bill at a time.

• Admin
  • 18,972 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

My Senator is Christine Johnson

here office phone in DeKalb has been disconnected.

Her email bounces as "no such addressee"

I suspect a conspiracy

I'm guessing some of the sitting Senators who will not continue into the 98th General Assembly have already closed their district offices. Maggie Crotty's district phone is also disconnected.

Have you tried Senator Johnson's Springfield number (217-782-1977)?

Link to ILGA House Audio/Video..........Link to ILGA Senate Audio/Video ..........Advanced Digital Media Link ..........Blue Room Stream Link

Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. (Ephesians 4:31)

On 5/25/2017, Superintendent Eddie Johnson predicted a 50% reduction is Chicago violence within 3 years of SB1722 becoming law.  The bill was signed into law on 6/23/2017. The clock is now ticking.

#37 KarlJ

• Members
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

Called both my reps and Kirk. Durbin is experiencing "high call volumes"
Spoke to my one rep who also opposes a semi auto ban and favors concealed carry. Everyone else I had to talk to a machine :(

Call your "state" legislators, not the federal legislators at this time.

I see
I did call my state legislators.
Spoke to my rep. Who is on our side. Left a message for my other legislator.

How's this work? I have 2 federal senators, Kirk and Durbin.
Then I have a house Rep. And a Senate Rep.? Are they addressed as Represenatives?
"Waiting periods are only a step.
Registration is only a step.
The prohibition of private firearms is the goal."

Janet Reno

U.S. Attorney General

1993-12-10

"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the governments ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."

Bill Clinton

1993-08-12

#38 Uncle Harley

• Members
  • 6,044 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

I left this message with my Senator's and my Rep's secretaries . For those of you that don't know your rep's secretarry, I suggest you get to know them, on a personal level if you can. Both secretaries know me by name and I even chat with one of them of FB often. Nothing get's to our reps unless it goes through them. If they like you, they are more likely to agree with or find value in your cause, and and will relay that to the rep with enthusiasm.

xxxxxxx,

I just recieved word that Senate President John Cullerton will attempt to pass a Feinstein style Semi-auto ban and magazine ban when the Senate reconvenes for their lame duck session on the 2nd of January. At this time I have no bill numbers, but we anticipate them using house bills passed over for floor amendments which would only take a matter of hours to clear committee and be ready for a final vote. I know xxxx is pro-gun, but none the less, please urge him to vote down any type of gun ban, or magazine ban no matter which direction it comes from.

Thanks!

Harley
"A river cuts through a rock not because of its power but its persistence." - Jim Watkins

" Never argue with an idiot, passers by won't be able to tell you apart "- Grandpa

#39 mauserme

• Admin
  • 18,972 posts

Then I have a house Rep. And a Senate Rep.? Are they addressed as Represenatives?

State reps are addressed as "Representative" and state senators as "Senator"

You need only worry about state legislators for this bill.

Edited by mauserme, 31 December 2012 - 01:09 PM.

Link to ILGA House Audio/Video..........Link to ILGA Senate Audio/Video ..........Advanced Digital Media Link ..........Blue Room Stream Link

Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. (Ephesians 4:31)

On 5/25/2017, Superintendent Eddie Johnson predicted a 50% reduction is Chicago violence within 3 years of SB1722 becoming law.  The bill was signed into law on 6/23/2017. The clock is now ticking.

#40 Tvandermyde

• Members
  • 6,756 posts

Just tell them you are opposed to any nw gun bans or restrcitions.

Also if you're on Facebook, you might want to look up your legislators and either post on their wall or send them a message about the legislation
While a 9 mm or .40 caliber bullet may or may not expand, it is an undeniable fact that a .45 caliber bullet will never shrink.

#41 vstar

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

Left message for sen. Lauzen at Springfield number.

#42 357

• 1,025 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

Left a message for state senator and state representative.
If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.
James Madison

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
Edmund Burke

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"
George Orwell

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will loose both"
Benjamin Franklin

#43 KarlJ

• Members
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

For future purposes, how do I know whether to contact my state Reps or my US Reps.
If its a state issue than contact my state reps and if its a federal issue contact my senators?
If its a federal issue does it do any good to let my state reps. Know my opinion?
Sorry if its a dumb question, I haven't been politically active in the past

Edited by KarlJ, 31 December 2012 - 01:22 PM.

"Waiting periods are only a step.
Registration is only a step.
The prohibition of private firearms is the goal."

Janet Reno

U.S. Attorney General

1993-12-10

"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the governments ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."

Bill Clinton

1993-08-12

#44 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• Members
  • 13,018 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

I contacted both my present and future (after redistricting) Senator and Rep.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#45 jlowrie

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

I called and left a message with Kimberly Lightford. If Lashawn Ford wasn't a football bat at the moment I'd leave a message with him as well. Thanks Todd!
The mind that aims at a select militia, must be influenced by a truly anti-republican principle; and when we see many men disposed to practice upon it, whenever they can prevail, no wonder true republicans are for carefully guarding against it. --Richard Henry Lee, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788

#46 Uncle Harley

• Members
  • 6,044 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

For future purposes, how do I know whether to contact my state Reps or my state senators?
If its a state issue than contact my state reps and if its a federal issue contact my senators?
If its a federal issue does it do any good to let my state reps. Know my opinion?

most of our work here will be contacting our state reps, If something comes up in the Senate, that is were you want to focus on first, and then follow up with your Rep in the House. If something comes up in the House, vice versa. I typically contact both, but for me on gun issues, both my rep and senator are gun advicates so for me it's more cheerleading than anything when it comes to gun issues.
"A river cuts through a rock not because of its power but its persistence." - Jim Watkins

" Never argue with an idiot, passers by won't be able to tell you apart "- Grandpa

#47 Capt_Destro

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

Dumb question, if this passes the senate it goes right to the house?

Also is this crap?

Dear, Senator XXXXXXXX

I am a resident and voter of your district, I strongly oppose the
assault weapons ban that is to be introduced this year. It would be
much harsher than the 1994 bill even targeting handguns. It would ban
fire-arms based on appearances rather than function. For example a
black powder muzzle loader, or a bolt action rifle could become an
"assault weapon" because of a thumb hole sport stock. I believe the
vision Feinstein has is much too extreme and is a violation of our
constitutional rights under the second amendment. Under her ban,
certain fire-arms would have to be prohibited or register just because
of cosmetics. Looking at statistics the FBI has even proven that the
1994 AWB did not reduce crime rates. The reason for this is because
"Assault Weapons" are only used in 2% of firearm related crimes nation
wide. The fire-arms in the upcoming bill are not assault weapons at
all, but semi-auto, bolt action, and muzzle loading rifles that have a
modern sporting design.

I Implore you to vote against this upcoming bill, it is not the
solution we are all looking for. Anything that treats law abiding
citizens like criminals should not become law. I voted for you because
I did some research on how you try to help the people. Will you please
stand up for our rights that our service men/women have made the
ultimate sacrifice for through out the years? There are people in my
family who have served in different conflicts and wars, they did it
for our freedom. My Great Uncle was at the beaches of Normandy, my
Grandfather in Korea, my Father in the Gulf. With all due respect sir
they did not serve so we can lose constitutional rights, they served
so we could preserve them and our way of life.

Sincerely, XXXXXXX

When picking a firearm, you want one that is like a heavy chick. A gun that is reliable, doesn't mind getting rough, and one that goes bang every time. What's the point of having something pretty looking it isn't up for the task?

#48 Ritte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

I called Mulroe and got voicemail at both chicago and springfield offices. I did leave messages though.

#49 RECarry

• 2,258 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

To-the-point messages sent to our gun-hating Rep and Senator in the north suburbs, and friends alerted.
A woman's "Right to Choose" the abortion issue starts with the words "No!", "Stop!", and "I am armed!".

#50 blueliner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

I called both Sen. Lauzen and Rep. Schmitz and left messages. What I don't know is if Sen. Lauzen is finishing his term in the Senate. He is already sworn in as the Kane County Chairman, so I don't know if he is finishing his term in the lame duck session or just skipping it. His replacement won't take over until the new Senate is sworn in.
Scott

U.S. Army Veteran
Member, NRA and ISRA
Certified NRA Pistol Instructor and Range Safety Officer
Certified Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor

#51 mauserme

• Admin
  • 18,972 posts

For future purposes, how do I know whether to contact my state Reps or my state senators?

Almost everything IllinoisCarry does relates to state matters. If there was a call to action on a federal bill I'm sure that would be clearly indicated.

And yes, for state legislation contact the state legislators and for federal, contact your US Senator and Congressman (congressmen are technically any US legislator but commonly refers to a US House member). It's not normally productive to contact state level legislators on federal bills, and vice versa.

Ask all the questions you want. There aren't any dumb ones.

ETA I see Uncle Harley beat me to the punch on some of that.

Edited by mauserme, 31 December 2012 - 01:27 PM.

#52 mauserme

• Admin
  • 18,972 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

Dumb question, if this passes the senate it goes right to the house?

If it were to pass the Senate as amended. it would normally go to a House committee first, then potentially to the full body for a concurrence vote.

Edited by mauserme, 31 December 2012 - 01:30 PM.

#53 Elderberry

• Members
  • 3,986 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

KarlJ -- trust me, you'll get better at it... Hanging around this forum helps... You can also spend some time here http://www.ilga.gov/ and you will learn a lot about how it works and get familiar with many of "the usual suspects"...

Also, I highly recommend spending some time watching the video link when one of the houses is in session -- boy is that ever an education -- but take an antacid first...!!!

I'll put something clever and witty here when I think of something.........

NRA, ISRA, SAF... Vet.. Former LEO... Current Illinois Concealed Carry Permit Holder....

#54 TyGuy

• Members
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

Could someone pm me the bill # when it becomes available?
ILSP Approved CCW Instructor
NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

My favorite post ----- Walmart Thread ----- Ammo Alert Thread ---- Daily Deals Thread

#55 TomKoz

• 3,479 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

Done. Left messages for Sen. Radogno & Rep. Durkin.

Not worried about Radogno. Durkin, though was one who voted against HB148!!
Rep. Jim Durkin's new number is (708) 246-1104. I'm sure he would love to hear from each and every one of you!!!
Stay Alert ... Stay Alive !!

#56 Capt_Destro

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

NRAILA Link

http://www.nraila.or...-this-week.aspx

#57 Elderberry

• Members
  • 3,986 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

but for me on gun issues, both my rep and senator are gun advicates so for me it's more cheerleading than anything when it comes to gun issues.

But as Harley is pointing out, the cheerleading is very important too. If you are fortunate to have a rep and senator like his it is important to know that they get the treatment from the other side and so knowing they have constituents out there who support them is important and they do appreciate it....

I'll put something clever and witty here when I think of something.........

NRA, ISRA, SAF... Vet.. Former LEO... Current Illinois Concealed Carry Permit Holder....

#58 Uncle Harley

• Members
  • 6,044 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

it will probably be plasterd all over here.

#59 mauserme

• Admin
  • 18,972 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

Sure.

#60 Capt_Destro

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

Quinn is such a deceptive snake, always slithering around in the shadows trying to get some kind of ban in. First abusing his veto powers now this..