A few points here,
1. As someone living in NE Illinois, I feel more often than not suburban gun owners are ignored and left out of the equation when it comes to legislation and standing up for our rights. I get most of the lobby is rural, but people need to understand that those same issues apply more so here. You might never set foot in Chicago, or this part of the state, but the political power lies here and the reason most people support this BS is because there is a lack of education and outreach. There is a healthy portion of the population in Cook County, specifically in the NW Suburbs that is working class, that does sit on the fence for issues like this. There need to be more ranges doing education and outreach, even if its just a presentation. The Achilles heel of Cook County is the NW Burbs, plenty of people are not rabidly and institutionally anti-gun here and if more was done I'm sure it would make the difference.
2. If you're going to say a piece of legislation is a violation of due process, you need to explain why and how. Additionally, you need to be getting in the face of the Chicago news media and have a presence up in NE Illinois, otherwise people just turn the news off because Springfield seems like a distant place for those not in the loop. We also need to shift the arguments from oh banning scary weapons won't make a difference, to showing people that the government is banning and restricting ownership of private property and telling people how their weapon should or should not look and what functionality it can be. Frame it as limitation of choice, restriction of private property and also as being racist. The only people the AWB is enforced against, are gang members, and per the dogmas of our times, certain segment(s) are singled out by these laws.
3. Expand and use social media. Twitter and FB is great, but having a YT Channel and doing live-streams would set us ahead of the curb.
4. If the other side is going to be filing BS bills, so should we. We should be filing all sorts of awesome BS pro bills all the time, every time. Clog the system.
5. Stop assuming people under 30 are dumb, state-craving authoritarians that don't know shoe-lacing from cursive writing. Not twenty-something is a social justice warrior, we might not agree on everything socially, but a healthy amount of us exist wanting to preserve the constitution.
Edited by crufflesmuth, 26 May 2018 - 10:23 AM.