Schaumburg, IL AWB?

FlexTab

Hey guys, new guy here. I'm sure it has been covered before but I can't find any certain information online regarding Schaumburg's firearm restrictions. It's all very confusing. I'm not sure if Schaumburg is home rule. Are ARs/AKs 100% no go? What about shotguns or a rifle with a fixed magazine like an SKS? Are there magazine cap limits, restrictions on ammo, etc.? Thank you all very much in advance!

Schaumburg is home rule. It is in Cook county. I'll let someone else go into how the Cook AWB fits in or doesn't since I am not sure.

Doesnt appear to be called out directly, although this might appear to indicate the Cook ordinance is in effect in some manner. It is in the business code section.

https://library.municode.com/il/schaumburg/codes/code_of_ordinances

CHAPTER 128: - FIREARMS CONTROL Section

§ 128.01 - APPLICABILITY.

(A) It is intended that this chapter shall preempt all Cook County licensing or other regulatory schemes for firearms, and firearms dealers. As provided in Article VII, Section 6© of the State of Illinois Constitution of 1970, if a county ordinance conflicts with an ordinance of a municipality, the municipality ordinance shall prevail within its jurisdiction.

(B ) It is specifically intended that this chapter shall preempt the Cook County Firearms Dealer-s License Ordinance as now in effect or as may be hereafter amended, but shall not preempt the Cook County Assault Weapons and Assault Ammunition Ban Ordinance.

(C ) Licenses issued pursuant to this chapter shall be issued separate and apart from any general business license issued by the Village of Schaumburg.

(Ord. 98-110, passed 9-22-98)

The section InterestedBystander cited is about all I'm finding in Schaumburg code as well. It's an interesting sort of non-commitment, where the Village doesn't have it's own ban (that I can find) but tells Cook County they can go ahead and enforce their ban if they want, at least to the extent it can be enforced.

That wouldn't apply to the DuPage part of Schaumburg, though, so the answer depends partly on where you live.

The section InterestedBystander cited is about all I'm finding in Schaumburg code as well. It's an interesting sort of non-commitment, where the Village doesn't have it's own ban (that I can find) but tells Cook County they can go ahead and enforce their ban if they want, at least to the extent it can be enforced.

That wouldn't apply to the DuPage part of Schaumburg, though, so the answer depends partly on where you live.

That's exactly why I'm confused.

I live in the Cook part.

Archived