Does NRA Basic Pistol Course count toward the required 16hrs? Instructor portion?

j28791

After completing the NRA Basic Pistol course it says there is an "instructor lead portion". Do I need to do this to have it count toward the 16 hours?

I thought taking the Basic Pistol Course was enough so that I could skip the first 8 hour day (just like if you're military) and only take the 2nd 8hr class with the range test?

Is this correct?

So I print my fancy certificate of completion and take prove to them at my local range that I only need the 2nd class? It's not really clear how this works. Thanks!

In fact one of the questions in the course is "Completing the e-learning portion of this course completes your training" True or False. The correct answer is False? What do they mean? Is this just a way for them to get you to sign up for more training? It's caused some confusion for me so it would be great if someone could clear this up.

NRA Basic Pistol is approved by the ISP as 8 credited training. The NRA Basic Pistol course can be taken as an Instructor led class only OR as a blended course combining both an e-learning segment and an instructor led portion. The "fancy certificate of completion" is the same for either option.

I don't want a blended anything. I just want to get 8hrs of credit and not have to deal with another human except for the other 8hrs. That is my question.

Must I sign up for and pay another human so that my NRA Basic Pistol course will be counted toward the 8hrs?

Just so everyone is clear the NRA Basic Pistol Course cost me $60 and the instructor lead portion costs $150 in my area. So basically $210 for 8hrs of credit toward CCW. Except...the CCW by itself is only $200! In other words it's $10 cheaper to just sign up for a 16 CCW course in IL instead of wasting your time, money, and energy taking the "NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting" Course

I hope no one else falls for this "scam" is pretty much what I"m gonna call it at this point. On their website it advertised as "First step toward your CCW". They do not tell you that it's not a complete course till the very end. Complete joke and scam in my opinion. Oh and get this, it's non-refundable.

NRA Basic Pistol is approved by the ISP as 8 credited training. The NRA Basic Pistol course can be taken as an Instructor led class only OR as a blended course combining both an e-learning segment and an instructor led portion. The "fancy certificate of completion" is the same for either option.

I don't want a blended anything. I just want to get 8hrs of credit and not have to deal with another human except for the other 8hrs. That is my question.

Must I sign up for and pay another human so that my NRA Basic Pistol course will be counted toward the 8hrs?

YES.

If you paid the NRA $60 and took the online course you ARE TAKING THE BLENDED OPTION. You must either find an instructor to finish the blended training or start over with an ALL LIVE course with an instructor. It might have saved you some trouble if you had asked your questions BEFORE you jumped in and took the online segment. You may want to give your location and ask if any of the instructors here can help you.

YES.

If you paid the NRA $60 and took the online course you ARE TAKING THE BLENDED OPTION. You must either find an instructor to finish the blended training or start over with an ALL LIVE course with an instructor. It might have saved you some trouble if you had asked your questions BEFORE you jumped in and took the online segment. You may want to give your location and ask if any of the instructors here can help you.

Closest one is in Oak Park, IL and they are charging $150 for the instructor lead part. I was better off just taking a 16hr CCW class for $200+

They are deliberately not clear about this on the product page as well as the FAQ. Also no one has to accept it just because ISP does. Shoot point Blank range said they will not accept it as credit toward the 16hrs. In other words it's useless.

I looked at the NRA Blended site and it is confusing. It also appears that today is the last day you would be able to complete the current version of online Basic Pistol. All I know is that the current online BP is being replaced. I have yet to see the new course. I have contacted T&E and will report my findings.

I took the new course since they gave us the option of taking the new one or old one.

Here is the product page:

https://basicpistol.nra.org/

Yes they are not clear about it and my feeling is that's it's deliberate. If customers knew that it would end up costing more money and additional training for the course to be complete then they would make different decisions. In other words it's fraud. Fraud is when you knowingly mislead people by withholding information. If I had all the information I would've made a different decision and not taken the course.

There are a lot of problems with the course aside from them not being clear that it's not a complete course.

1. The question part after each chapter asks you 10 questions. I would get 8/10 or 9/10 after almost every chapter. You must get 10/10 to move forward. But to move forward you must start all over again. The questions are only displayed one at the time instead of all 10 at once. You can't go back and change answers once you submit a question.

2. The terms used are often ambiguous. Example:

What is the purpose of the "Go Shopping" experience? (select all that apply)

To buy or rent a Pistol

To ask a reputable dealer questions about each pistol you're considering

To post Pictures on social media.

To narrow down your pistol choices to a few you want.

I choose 1, 2, and 3. However 1 is not a correct answer. Why? I don't know. Someone just thought that "Go Shopping" meant you didn't rent to try the pistol and then don't buy anything. About 20% of the course has stupid ambiguous questions like this.

So I got 9/10 because I missed the above question. In a scenario where there are 3 correct answers and you only mark 2 you also have to start over. I took nearly all the quizes 2-3x because of 1 ambiguous question

The blended pistol has turned out exactly as they were told by many instructors but they had their minds made up. I have not heard one person (student) that has been happy about the blended pistol yet.It sounds like they are trying to change it up again but not sure.

The only thing they are very clear about is that there's no refunds. The NRA Basic Pistol Course is not a complete course and is the worst First step toward you conceal carry permit. It requires more training from an NRA instructor for more money. It is cheaper and saves you time to just take the full 16 concealed carry course in Illinois at any gun store that offers it. They even market the course as the "First steps towards conceal carry"

https://imgur.com/a/tUM78lC

According to the guidelines that is provided to Instructors "NRA basic pistol, Personal protection inside the home, Personal protection outside the home" certs, can count toward the first "8 hours" of training.

However, when the NRA offered the Basic Pistol class in the "blended format", it changed things, in that there is no online training approved for and Illinois CCL. This is a hot point with all NRA Instructors as WE was totally against doing this from day one, but that is another story.

So, it is at the Instructor's discretion (as the CCL hold's instructors accountable) if the training you have received is good enough or not. So, knowing all that happened on the "inside" I see their point and done it myself.

Archived