Renewal Process - GSL

Craigcelia

I know our licenses are good till we get the new one as long as we have applied before the expiration date. i understand the Illinois part but what about the other states that honor Illinois permits. I suspect they will say an expired permit is no good???

If an inquiry to verify an "expired" CCL was made, I presume it would come up as valid.

Would a cop in another state even bother? Or a Chicago cop?

It is not worth the lost $7.50 for me to ever have to worry about this.

My NEW license is now in my wallet.

Don't be pound foolish.

If they are cheating us... We should fix it.

This is a "for what it's worth" post.

My CCL expires in February of 2019. Having time now, I took the necessary class for renewal about a week ago at Article II. The instructor, Anthony, did a good job and make the class interesting.

I would like to point out something that perhaps everyone else knows, but still worth mentioning. On the range, you shoot 10 rounds each at 5, 7 and 10 yards. That shouldn't be a problem for any shooter, especially with the B29 target that is life size. However, it might be good to point out that the instructor only counts holes in black area of the target. I forgot that and aimed for the center of the target with my first 10 rounds. That made one big hole in the center of the target and made it difficult for the instructor to count the holes. Fortunately that was pointed out to me before I shot the next 20 rounds. Not a big deal, as you only have to score 21 hits in the black to qualify. This is one test that it doesn't pay to be too accurate.

I have already filed my certificate with the Illinois State Police Department. Perhaps I will lose several months of eligibility, but at 81 years of age, I don't think that will be a problem.

I hope this information is of some value to those about to take the class.

Hanagan

I was told that the requirement was 21 of the 30 rounds to hit the target, not just the black center figure on the target. Honestly, anyone that cannot meet this standard should probably re-think the idea of carrying a concealed firearm. I am a mediocre marksman with some vision challenges and at 75 its hard to hold the gun as steady as I used to be able to, and despite all that I had 30 out of 30.

Vito,

I agree that it is not a very challenging test. I believe that I am correct in saying that 21 of the 30 shots must hit within the black area. Perhaps the thinking is that a person doesn't necessarily want to be considered a marksman, if in fact it was ever necessary to fire at a bad guy. In other words, it might not be good to be too proficient. Maybe it could be used against you in court. I'm only guessing, and I might not be correct.

If you think that holding a firearm steady at 75 is difficult, wait until you are 81. :ermm:

Hanagan

This is a "for what it's worth" post.

My CCL expires in February of 2019. Having time now, I took the necessary class for renewal about a week ago at Article II. The instructor, Anthony, did a good job and make the class interesting.

I would like to point out something that perhaps everyone else knows, but still worth mentioning. On the range, you shoot 10 rounds each at 5, 7 and 10 yards. That shouldn't be a problem for any shooter, especially with the B29 target that is life size. However, it might be good to point out that the instructor only counts holes in black area of the target. I forgot that and aimed for the center of the target with my first 10 rounds. That made one big hole in the center of the target and made it difficult for the instructor to count the holes. Fortunately that was pointed out to me before I shot the next 20 rounds. Not a big deal, as you only have to score 21 hits in the black to qualify. This is one test that it doesn't pay to be too accurate.

I have already filed my certificate with the Illinois State Police Department. Perhaps I will lose several months of eligibility, but at 81 years of age, I don't think that will be a problem.

I hope this information is of some value to those about to take the class.

Hanagan

There were discussions about this when CCL classes started. My instructor, and a very few others, in Dec 2013 and early 2014 insisted that we spread our shots all over the black to be able to verify hits. Mine even had us write our name in magic marker on the target and took a picture. It was embarrassing to see my shots spread all over. I think that it is left up to the instructor's discretion in reference to a big hole in the center. If one can do that in 10 - 20 rounds, it is pretty likely that several rounds went through the same hole.

The instructor at Maxons made a point to tell the class not to shoot out the center to make it easier to count the hits. I started in the center and worked my way out to the seven ring. He then took a picture of the shooter holding the target with our names written on the corner.

The instructor at Maxons made a point to tell the class not to shoot out the center to make it easier to count the hits. I started in the center and worked my way out to the seven ring. He then took a picture of the shooter holding the target with our names written on the corner.

What? So, they want you to be LESS accurate with your shooting to pass the test? When I took my CCL test the first time, the center of my target was one ragged hole about the size of an orange, and my instructor had no problem with that.

What? So, they want you to be LESS accurate with your shooting to pass the test? When I took my CCL test the first time, the center of my target was one ragged hole about the size of an orange, and my instructor had no problem with that.

almost the same with me. Had two instructors, first was trying to count holes and having difficulty, I appealed to the second instructor who said to the first guy, your nuts if there is a big ole ragged hole in the center of the target, that is where the bullets went!

Vern,

My experience was similar to yours, only in reverse. When I took the range test 5 years ago, my instructor, Ed Bryant, wanted us to shoot as accurately as possible. In fact, he gave a small prize to the person who put the most rounds in the center of the target. As I remember, it was a book on conceal carry methods and procedures.

I guess that whichever way an instructor would like to see things doesn't really make a whole lot of difference. A pass is a pass. However, he should make his wishes known early in the qualifying test.

Hanagan

There is no place on the status page to indicate a "date of submission" of the renewal, at least that I can see. I submitted on 12/5 and my status also shows as "Under Review" with the dates of m original issue and expiration. The fact that I got an email acknowledging my renewal submission, and the fact that it says "Under Review" rather than "Active" with the original expiration date confirms that ISP received my renewal request. I'm hoping for "Active" with the new date to show up anytime now.

My GAT Guns contact mentioned a few weeks ago he'd checked his ISP status and saw a "Renew" button, so he hit it and re-upped. My understanding is that he got his new license, or at least, the process was completed. I will ask him about it tomorrow when I see him before our class there.

I keep meaning to go in there and get it done. When I first tried it on a Sunday evening, it kept kicking back that the "resources" the ISP needed were not available and to try again later.

I'll get to that tomorrow.

My instructor says he needed to be able to count the holes/hits. If you put all rounds through the same hole, you'd fail .... :no:

This issue has been discussed before, I put it into the categories of "mental illness" and "instructors to avoid".

Although frankly, it's not like you get bonus points, or faster license renewal or anything for X ring hits. If you're putting them all in one hole at 10 yards, you should probably speed up a little.

My instructor says he needed to be able to count the holes/hits. If you put all rounds through the same hole, you'd fail .... :no:

This issue has been discussed before, I put it into the categories of "mental illness" and "instructors to avoid".Although frankly, it's not like you get bonus points, or faster license renewal or anything for X ring hits. If you're putting them all in one hole at 10 yards, you should probably speed up a little.

I equate the separate holes and photos of targets to ISP paranoia, Afraid ISP will demand proof of the hits on target and written scores. But they can't unless they change the law.

I agree with those here when they point out that it really doesn't matter what your score is, as long as you qualify.

However, it doesn't do a person's ego much good to have your picture taken holding a target scattered with holes. Overall, I was satisfied with the instruction I received. I think there is merit in having the requirement for renewal of the CCL.

Hanagan

There was not a single think discussed in the training that I didn't already know, and the shooting qualification is truly a joke, although I guess it does "prove" that the applicant is not totally blind or unable to hold a handgun reasonably steady. For me the renewal fee is not a problem, but I know several people, including my youngest son, that this cost, plus the cost of training, is a real barrier to his getting his CCL. I think it is despicable that Illinois law is so discriminatory to low income individuals when the people making those laws always claim to be representing the "little guy".

My instructor says he needed to be able to count the holes/hits. If you put all rounds through the same hole, you'd fail .... :no:This issue has been discussed before, I put it into the categories of "mental illness" and "instructors to avoid".Although frankly, it's not like you get bonus points, or faster license renewal or anything for X ring hits. If you're putting them all in one hole at 10 yards, you should probably speed up a little.

I equate the separate holes and photos of targets to ISP paranoia, Afraid ISP will demand proof of the hits on target and written scores. But they can't unless they change the law.

Or maybe digital documentation of passing is easier to retain vs keeping everyone’s paper targets...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread reminds me of the ever-lasting Walmart thread...

Since this started, we do not keep original targets, we simply log the scores (to each their own though). We also do tell the shooter to shoot all over the target so we can "count the holes" That is ridiculous that any instructor would do that IMHO. To us, if you tear out the center portion and have no other bullet holes on the outside of the black, you got 100%.

Archived