Rauner to Call Lawmakers to Special Session in Springfield

InterestedBystander

confirmed. Governors call is here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4Bi-iePG1O6clFSdHJCaGhpN28

full story at link...

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/Rauner-to-Call-Lawmakers-to-Special-Session-in-Springfield-Sources-428542623.html

It's been two weeks since the Illinois General Assembly adjourned -- and more than two years since lawmakers have reached a budget compromise, and Wednesday NBC 5 has learned Gov. Bruce Rauner is expected call lawmakers back to Springfield for a Special Session next week.

The governor's office says it will not comment, however sources tell NBC 5 Rauner will announce a Special Session to begin June 21 for every day through June 30th. The new fiscal year begins July 1st.

By the governor calling the Special Session -- the lawmakers would be paid $111 each day as well as 39 cents per mile to and from Springfield. The Chicago Tribune has estimated that adds up to costing taxpayers approximately 40-thousand dollars a day.

House Speaker Michael Madigan has said the lawmakers are in continuous session, there are no added costs to a continuous session.

Illinois e-News Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Governor Rauner Calls Lawmakers Back to Springfield to Pass Compromise Balanced Budget Plan

Compromise Plan Includes Property Tax Relief, Job Creation, Term Limits and Spending Caps

SPRINGFIED One day after House and Senate Republicans unveiled a compromise balanced budget plan to end the budget impasse, Governor Bruce Rauner today called lawmakers back to Springfield for a 10-day special session from Wednesday, June 21st through the June 30th fiscal year deadline.

Republicans in the General Assembly have laid out a compromise budget plan that I can sign, Governor Rauner said in a video announcing special session. It provides a true path to property tax reduction and it reforms the way our state operates to reduce wasteful spending. It will fund our schools and human services, while spurring economic growth and job creation. It is a true compromise and one I hope the majority in the General Assembly will accept.

For two weeks, the majority in the General Assembly ignored repeated calls to return to Springfield since adjourning on May 31st without passing a full-year balanced budget. If no action is taken by the General Assembly to pass the compromise balanced budget plan by June 30th, the ramifications for our state will be devastating and long-lasting. In order to find a resolution, Governor Rauner issued 10 proclamations calling for special sessions every day starting Wednesday, June 21 at Noon. The proclamations direct the General Assembly to consider legislation that will reach a balanced budget with changes to our broken system, including property tax relief, job creation, term limits and spending caps. Should the General Assembly enact the compromise balanced budget plan prior to June 30th, the Governor will cancel any remaining special session days.

We have tough, urgent choices to make, and the legislature must be present to make them, Governor Rauner said. In the days ahead, lets show the people of Illinois we have their best interests in mind, not our own. And together, we will move our state forward to a better and brighter future.

A copy of the proclamation is attached.

The video can be viewed on the Governors Facebook page.

A broadcast-quality video can be downloaded here.

Attachments

Crisis situation? Power ball may omit Illinois

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-06-15/powerball-dump-illinois-over-lack-budget

As if Illinois didn't have enough to worry about between an imminent downgrade to junk (as soon as July 1), soaring debt costs, insolvent pension funds, and roads that may soon resemble the lunar surface, today in the latest insult to a relentless series of injuries, the lottery itself is about to dump Illinois.

According to the Sun Times, the Multi-State Lottery Association, the organization that runs the Powerball lottery and Mega Millions games, will drop Illinois at the end of June without a budget agreement. Since Illinois has been unable to compromise on a budget for the past two years, and not even the threat of being the first US state in history of being "junked" has prompted a compromise, it most likely means that Illinois resident have just two more weeks of "get rich quick" opportunities, before they are cut off from the rest of America.

Speaking on Thursday, Illinois Lottery spokesman Jason Schaumburg confirmed that the games will be dropped without a state budget. He said the association has had discussions since 2015 about dropping Illinois, but this is the first time the group has taken action. He called it “another example of why the General Assembly needs to deliver a balanced budget to the governor." Alas, if the recent surge in Illinois GO debt yields...

I was gonna say maybe losing Powerball, aka "poor man's self-imposed excise tax," was the proverbial final straw. They pulled in...over a quarter billion in lottery revenues last year, if I'm not mistaken. Thats gonna hit em where it hurts, so they will hit us where it hurts to make up for it.

Or maybe it was the seven state universities' general obligation debt being downgraded, five of them to junk status (NIU, EIU, SIU, Governor's State, Northeastern Illinois, ALL junk, and NIU's President has other problems). Maybe it was the fact that the State has accepted it will be downgraded to junk as it just renegotiated the termination triggers for its interest rate swap contracts on its GO debt. Specifically the triggers for a lower credit rating. Will save taxpayers $39M in fees and what have you when (not if) another downgrade occurs. That's a concession, basically the state saying "There's no way we can avoid this so we're gonna deal with it ahead of time." Perhaps it's because Illinois' economic growth was higher during the Great Depression than it is today, or

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

The same powerball that is supposed to help fund the public school system, toll roads, etc. Definitely the eye opener for those who know more than the rest of us.

I thought the instant lottery scratch tickets were the only ones that direct funds to public schools. The other money was just funding to the state.

Lisa joined in on the suit against President Trump. We've got bigger problems, the Russians are coming! And Trump is using his position to violate the Enoulments Clause. On another note, I found a Unicorn frolicking in the woods.

Official warns Illinois finances in 'massive crisis mode'

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/APFN_US_ILLINOIS_PAYING_THE_BILLS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-06-17-11-53-44

"Mendoza says a recent court order regarding money owed for Medicaid bills means mandated payments will eat up 100 percent of Illinois' monthly revenue.

There would be no money left for so-called "discretionary" spending"

...and the Democrats still can't get to the table with the Governor because "he just doesn't seem sincere."

Nero fiddling while Rome burns doesn't seem apt.

Its hangin' day in the old western town of Bleached Bones. The prisoners are in a line in front of the gallows. The first one is walked up to the platform screaming for mercy. A hood is placed over his head and the level pulled. The rope snaps and the man falls thru the open door in the floor and onto the ground. He is carried away dead on a stretcher.The 2nd man has the noose put around his neck, crying and wailing. The lever is pulled and he drops thru the floor. The new rope is too long this time and he also crashes to the ground and is carried off on a stretcher. The 3rd man is taken up to the gallows and screams "I have a few last words to say!" "Go ahead" says the executioner. "I am refusing to participate in this execution" the man shouts, I've seen how this gallows operates first hand, and frankly I don't think the damm thing is safe!".

Dissolve Illinois and apportion out its land to neighboring states...I believe Obama was presented with something like that when a study was commissioned by Congress on what to do if (when) a state becomes insolvent. And Illinois was used as an example. Obama wasn't too happy with that option.

• 2 weeks later...

Dissolve Illinois and apportion out its land to neighboring states...I believe Obama was presented with something like that when a study was commissioned by Congress on what to do if (when) a state becomes insolvent. And Illinois was used as an example. Obama wasn't too happy with that option.

The portion of the state that becomes annexed by Wisconsin would operate under the laws of Wisconsin which means those new residents of Wisconsin will have the right to openly carry without a license.

Archived