Moore vs IL Attorney General

Around mid-November I resigned myself to not getting a decision this year (that year), but now it's 2012. This week the country's businesses and government agencies get back into the swing of things. I was thinking she'd probably finish it up this month - double check it in February and release her decision then.

Around mid-November I resigned myself to not getting a decision this year (that year), but now it's 2012. This week the country's businesses and government agencies get back into the swing of things. I was thinking she'd probably finish it up this month - double check it in February and release her decision then.

Illinois will have the right to carry bill passed this legislative season.

I'm of the same opinion and I think it will happen in the second half of their session.

I sure wish i had the same optimism you guys have. I honestly do. I just can't see our legislature giving us our rights back because they see a couple court cases that seem to be going our way.[iF they do]. I don't think anyone can dispute that whichever way these judges rule, the cases will be appealed over and over again. All this is going to take quite a while. I won't get into how long, but it won't be in this legislative session when the cases are "done and over". So are we hoping that the handful of reps that backpeddled at the last minute on 148 are going to be swayed enough to vote our way if it's brought up again? Not really much chance of that after Quinn and Madigan get done giving them a "pep talk". Damn i hope i'm wrong.

I sure wish i had the same optimism you guys have. I honestly do. I just can't see our legislature giving us our rights back because they see a couple court cases that seem to be going our way.[iF they do]. I don't think anyone can dispute that whichever way these judges rule, the cases will be appealed over and over again. All this is going to take quite a while. I won't get into how long, but it won't be in this legislative session when the cases are "done and over". So are we hoping that the handful of reps that backpeddled at the last minute on 148 are going to be swayed enough to vote our way if it's brought up again? Not really much chance of that after Quinn and Madigan get done giving them a "pep talk". Damn i hope i'm wrong.

...Nevertheless we must persist........! The Supreme Court will hopefully have to finally decide the meaning of, "shall not be infringed."

Regards, Dr. Dan

I have a sneaking suspicion you're right, Bud. But on the other hand, I'd almost rather have a binding decision from the courts. But there's no telling exactly what the courts will say in a favorable ruling.

If the ILGA passes HB148, would that make the SHEPARD and MOORE lawsuits moot?

-- Frank

Personally, I would prefer to win in the courts before a carry bill passes. We would end up with better legislation, I was thinking about the recertification costs for HB 148... Of course a "pistol competition" is an alternative to re-taking an 8 hour class it's still stupid and costly. It's like saying, "hey you carried for 3 years legally without issue, but we the government assume that you have forgotten everything because your permit is up for renewal."

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Personally, I would prefer to win in the courts before a carry bill passes. We would end up with better legislation, I was thinking about the recertification costs for HB 148... Of course a "pistol competition" is an alternative to re-taking an 8 hour class it's still stupid and costly. It's like saying, "hey you carried for 3 years legally without issue, but we the government assume that you have forgotten everything because your permit is up for renewal."

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

HB 148 does not require an 8 hour course to recertify for renewal. I don't like it either, but don't misrepresent what is in the bill. I'd gladly recertify if that's all it took to carry in IL.

Tim

Can I quote you on that?

Can I quote you on that?

I can't speak for BudMan5 but you can quote me on that. Keep in mind though I'm not really a reliable source :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So by now people should know that Judge Myerscough (an Obama appointee) ruled that Illinois UUW law does not violate the 2nd Amendment.

Here is the opening brief before the 7th cir:

Moore v Madigan CCA7 Opening Brief.pdf

Also, I believe that Judge Legg's decision in the Maryland District Court case Woollard v. Sheridan would be cited in both the Moore case before 7th Cir and also in the Shepard v madigan case as supplemental authority.

So by now people should know that Judge Myerscough (an Obama appointee) ruled that Illinois UUW law does not violate the 2nd Amendment.

Here is the opening brief before the 7th cir:

Moore v Madigan CCA7 Opening Brief.pdf

Also, I believe that Judge Legg's decision in the Maryland District Court case Woollard v. Sheridan would be cited in both the Moore case before 7th Cir and also in the Shepard v madigan case as supplemental authority.

Everybody here should read the Moore v. Madigan and while doing so, insert their own name in place of the plantiffs' names. We should acknowledge and recognize that the two individual citizen plantiffs involved in this filing are standing up before a court and arguing for not only their own rights, but our rights, and for the rights of every Illinois citizen and indeed, every American.

When you read the Opening Brief, you can't help but feel that each and everyone of us is involved in history as much as all the Americans who came before us have stood up and demanded their rights in every era since 1776.

How could anyone here not feel the sense of pride and patriotism that the events is being acted out in two separate court rooms on our behalf and on the behalf of the greater good of our State?

Where else but in America could a black American male living in a city join with a white woman farmer and stand up together to fight injustice before a Court?

• 2 months later...

Oral arguments before the 7th Circuit court of appeals is scheduled for Friday, 8 June. It's the second case on that day's schedule (arguments begin at 0900). I recommend being there at 0900 if you want to attend the arguments. You don't need any sort of reservation. Just go if you want.

Address of the court is:

Everett McKinley Dirksen United States Courthouse

Room 2722

219 S. Dearborn Street

Chicago, IL 60604

(312) 435-5850

Remember the federal building is a "sensitive area" and you will pass through metal detectors (no knives, etc.). I went to oral arguments when McDonald v Chicago was at the 7th circuit. Very interesting.

Archived