Illinois General Assembly 4/6/2017

mauserme

Senator Collins explains what will be her present vote. She states that locking up more people is not the answer to "gun crime". She adds that strict gun law does not help reduce crime and is particularly harmful to young people. Tough sentencing is not new, and research shows is has not worked. You stop gun violence with education, access to jobs, etc.

"Gun violence is the effect, but not the root of the problem".

Senator Hunter inquires about a fiscal impact. Senator Raoul says there was a savings in prior versions.

Ms. Hunter says she was told there would be a $34,000,000 increase even before removal of those provisions. She identifies the source of the information as Loyola, and adds that Illinois has the most guns bills of any state and crime continues to increase. She will vote present.

On a vote of 35/9/4 the bill is passed as amended.

Is this the gun minimum sentencing law?
Yes it is.

How'd that piece of crap pass? Seriously? As far as the House is concerned, will it die there? I can't see Rauner signing it.

How'd that piece of crap pass? Seriously? As far as the House is concerned, will it die there? I can't see Rauner signing it.

Didn't they want to tack the minimum sentencing onto the suppressor law last session as a compromise? Our side opposed it as I recall and the suppressor bill was never called.

Interesting how now that the military carry bill is on the move so too are all of these anti-gun bills. And still no suppressors or improvements to our carry law.

Didn't they want to tack the minimum sentencing onto the suppressor law last session as a compromise? Our side opposed it as I recall and the suppressor bill was never called.

Interesting how now that the military carry bill is on the move so too are all of these anti-gun bills. And still no suppressors or improvements to our carry law.

Are you asking if the NRA cut a deal last session - suppressors for increased mandatory minimums?

I don't know the answer to that specific question.

I do know the NRA has historically supported enhancing mandatory minimum sentencing for gun offenses in both the House and the Senate. And one of last session's suppressor bills, SB206, was originally Senator Raoul's bill before it was amended in the House. Is that a connection to Mr. Raoul's mandatory minimums this session? I don't see it.

But neither SB206 nor SB806 included mandatory minimum language in the 99th GA.

By the way, if you search the forum you'll see we've disagreed with the NRA's support for increased mandatory minimums for at least half a decade. We continue to oppose that now.

What I was getting at was that I recall there being an effort to attach mandatory minimums to the suppressor bill. It was opposed and didn't happen. Thus, no mandatory minimums and no suppressors last session.

This session we have mandatory minimums up again, but no movement on suppressors. Thus Illinois may very well pass mandatory minimums and still no suppressors. That looks like the short end of the stick.

I agree that mandatory minimums are bad, but I'm also a realist. If we end up with just mandatory minimums when we could have also had suppressors, that's a really bad thing.

Archived