Archdiocese of Chicago

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#91 Hazborgufen

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:47 PM

If pierogies with sauteed onions, bacon, and sour cream along with a bowl of borscht is blasphemous then anti-gun stickers on church doors are the least of my concerns.
It's blasphemous to call varenyky perogies.

You're after my own heart, much like all the saturated fat consumed when eating varenyky.

Pierogies being the more common vernacular I didn't want to confuse the non-Ukies.

#92 mrmagloo

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:31 AM

I don't care if you call them perogies or varenyky, but they sure sound wonderful.  Where do they serve such a thing?  Reco a good place in the area please - I gotta scratch this itch!

#93 Hazborgufen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:36 AM

I don't care if you call them perogies or varenyky, but they sure sound wonderful.  Where do they serve such a thing?  Reco a good place in the area please - I gotta scratch this itch!

Dumplings stuffed with either meat, potatoes, sauerkraut, cheese, or even dessert style stuffed with fruit. Savory ones topped with melted butter, sour cream, bacon, and fried onions, fruit filled topped with sweetened sour cream, fruit compote, or other delightful sweetness. Perfect comfort food.

The ones my grandmother makes have spoiled me, but if you're in the Ukrainian Village neighborhood in Chicago you won't go wrong. In the loop there's a little place near my office called Pierogi Heaven at Wells and Lake which helps scratch the itch when I get a craving at lunch. Also, most grocery stores will have them in the freezer section. As a tip, fry some bacon to crumble, but leave the grease in the pan. Throw some butter on the bacon grease after it cools so you don't get instant splatter and then use that to saute them. Regardless though, the best ones are made by grandmothers who have been making them by hand for decades, my grandmother's being the best of course.

Edited by Hazborgufen, 15 September 2017 - 08:38 AM.

#94 jim123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:51 AM

5411 W. Montrose. Fry them up in a little butter when you get home. The caramelized onions are already on them. Get some galabki(already made and sold hot) to go with it.

http://www.montrosed...?v=32aec8db952d

Montrose_Header.jpg

#95 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• Members
  • 12,831 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:47 AM

Just Google best varenyky or pierogi in Chicago. There's no shortage of places making that claim.

Have all boated who fish?

#96 quackersmacker

• 1,233 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:44 PM

Told my son (30) about this gun ban and explained how stupid it is to ban gals and guys like me who have undergone basic training at the highest required level in the country, daily electronic background checks, and in most cases lots of additional training and practice, only to be banned (because only we will obey it) in favor of bad guys and/or whackos out to kill people.   Why can't these idiots not figure out that bad guys really (yes REALLY!) do not care about gun control. 

Anyway, my son went severe evangelical Christian last year, and all he had to say is that maybe this is God's will.  Ok, maybe.  I told him that maybe God was sending us a message with Newtown, San Bernardino, Orlando, and (because it was a church) especially Charleston.   His response:    Yeah the message was --- wait for it --- there are too many guns out there.   

How are we to progress as a society when this kind of upside-down thinking is out there in huge, and in some locales, predominant,  numbers?

The only thing good about getting old (65) is that I'm not young and having to grow up in this messed up society that our kids are going to experience.  Oh, just that, and the $20 Trillion.  But nobody seems to get too worked up about that either.

Rant over. 

Life Member --- NRA

Life Member --- Second Amendment Foundation

Member        --- ISRA

Member        --- Single Action Shooting Society    [Lt John Dunbar]

Member        --- Aurora Sportsmen's Club

Member        --- Tri County Gun Club

Fellow Members:  Please consider making at least an annual $25 contribution to this fine organization, which has proven its worth -----and you will then become a member of the Supporting Members Team.   In this case, it's definitely about putting your money where your mouth is!   And, getting results.  Who knows what the future holds.....these may just be some of the best dollars you'll ever spend.

#97 mrmagloo

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:14 PM

Dumplings stuffed with either meat, potatoes, sauerkraut, cheese, or even dessert style stuffed with fruit. Savory ones topped with melted butter, sour cream, bacon, and fried onions, fruit filled topped with sweetened sour cream, fruit compote, or other delightful sweetness. Perfect comfort food.

The ones my grandmother makes have spoiled me, but if you're in the Ukrainian Village neighborhood in Chicago you won't go wrong. In the loop there's a little place near my office called Pierogi Heaven at Wells and Lake which helps scratch the itch when I get a craving at lunch. Also, most grocery stores will have them in the freezer section. As a tip, fry some bacon to crumble, but leave the grease in the pan. Throw some butter on the bacon grease after it cools so you don't get instant splatter and then use that to saute them. Regardless though, the best ones are made by grandmothers who have been making them by hand for decades, my grandmother's being the best of course.

5411 W. Montrose. Fry them up in a little butter when you get home. The caramelized onions are already on them. Get some galabki(already made and sold hot) to go with it.

http://www.montrosed...?v=32aec8db952d

Thanks Haz and Jim.  I'll have to save those for the next time I'm in the area!

Just Google best varenyky or pierogi in Chicago. There's no shortage of places making that claim.

That's the problem - Everyone self-proclaims they are the best at what they make.

#98 RacerDave6

• 3,342 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:30 AM

European Deli in Bolingbrook. Awesome place.
Firearms are not a talisman against evil. When used properly, they are an antidote to evil. T.Dunn

"Shoot the bad guy and keep shooting him until he stops doing whatever it
was that got him shot in the first place."

Match Director-IDPA at ASC
United States Riflemans Asscn instructor
NRA Certified instructor
NRA & ISRA member
Illinois Firearm Concealed Carry License instructor

#99 Tango7

• Members
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:54 PM

His response:    Yeah the message was --- wait for it --- there are too many guns out there.

While I realize it's likely to fall on deaf ears, you could always quote the applicable portion of the Catechism, combined with the 30+ cases since South v Maryland that place the burden for our protection squarely on our own shoulders.
You will not 'rise to the occasion', you will default to your level of training - plan accordingly.

Despite their rallying around us at election time, honoring only 8 hours of Illinois' 40+ hour law enforcement class towards a 16 hour requirement shows the contempt that our elected officials hold us in.

#100 splash

• PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:57 PM

My Parish is under the Archdiocese of Chicago but I don't know if they owned/controlled it. No sign on the door so I'm good and will continue to attend the mass and contribute. I admit I'm not the biggest donor for my church but I believe my parish is one of the biggest donor for the archdiocese and have a lot of generous parishioners. My monthly pledges goes straight to the archdiocese so I may stop that one.

I'm guessing this only applies to the Parishes within the City of Chicago.

NRA | ISRA Member

#101 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• Members
  • 12,831 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:49 PM

Unless they post, you are not breaking any laws.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users