Individual selling on gunbroker.com Questions

vezpa

I was hoping to get advice or thoughts on selling a firearm on gunbroker.com from some of you that have sold items there in the past.

I have bought several items off gunbroker.com in the past and had them shipped to my FFL so I know how that works. However I must admit that the firearms I've purchased have been from actual gun dealers and not some FFL working out of his home. My question is about me (directly) selling a firearm on their website.

If I want to sell a long gun to someone in another state how do I check that their FFL is legit? I have seen a copy of my dealer's FFL license so I know what it looks like, but how can I, as an individual seller, be sure that the receiver is legit and they didn't send me a forged or made up license? I'm not an expert on FFL licenses so the burden of proof would be on me. I want to be completely legit and comply with all laws. No mistakes can be made. I have read their website on how to sell but I want to make sure.

Also in the actual ad I would like to use the proper terminology and cover all legalities. I guess I can look at other ad's to see how people are doing their disclaimers but I want to make sure that as a seller I do everything correctly and by the book.

I don't want to pay a local FFL or gunstore to complete the transaction for me.

All help and responses would be most appreciated.

Thank You

I buy, sell, trade a lot and sometimes buy off GunBroker.

But, I am very reluctant to sell a firearm on GunBroker but I have sold other things.

There are a lot of ways to sell firearms inside the State and they are a whole heck of a lot easier. What is it you want to sell?

Have you tried to sell it here? Have you joined a forum that provides free classified space? If you want to stay Illinois specific, just state face to face in your ad. It is a whole lot easier.

Send me a PM if you want to chat away from public view.

I commend you guys for wanting to do everything in a legitimate way.

The BATFE has an FFL lookup function https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/ Just look up the FFL number when you get the license. If it checks out, you are good to go. If it doesn't check out, the buyer will have to send you another one (and you still hold their money). You can ship the firearm directly to the address on the license. Selling on Gunbroker is very easy.

Know that thousands upon thousands of people sell guns on Gunbroker. You may be overthinking this. Illinois paranoia ... I once suffered from that, too.

Archived