253 New IL laws for 2019

InterestedBystander

I'm sure some of the new ones cookin in the pot are similar to

Limiting the number of citizens allowed to exit the state every year.

Taxing sales tax. They aren't increasing the tax, just proposing to add a value fee. If you are paying sales tax, it just goes to reason that you must have money, and it only seems like common sense that you should pay your fair share.

Alternative road repair methods. If the existing road fund is depleted before the end of the budget year, a grant would exist to purchase thick area rugs to throw over the remaining potholes. Nobody wants to see anyone get hurt.

A new law allowing up to 5 firearms to be purchased by one household/address per year. Of course for every gun you buy, one of equal value must be surrendered.

A new law allowing up to 5 firearms to be purchased by one household/address per year. Of course for every gun you buy, one of equal value must be surrendered.

IIRC the present dealer bill that may or may not die at the end of session has a provision for over nine transfers and you as an individual must obtain a Illinois dealer license. Don't know what a newly written bill would say but I am sure it won't be any better. Jim.

I didn't know when had such a problem with ivory sales.

I did not research, but thought there was already a near total ivory ban at the federal level.

The Federal ban, bans sales across state lines, not within the state... I glanced at the law, and it appears to ban the sale of grandfathered ivory in the State unless it's part of a grandfathered firearm, knife, musical instrument or for educational uses... You can still 'inherit' it and pass it down, just not sell it...

Will I still be able to sell my piano?

Yep, it's a musical instrument.

But, under the black and white poorly written text they literally just banned the sale of all mammalian teeth (ivory=dentin so all mammalian teeth are composed of 'ivory'), so things like taxidermy mounts and even animal skulls are now technically illegal to sell if they have the teeth. The poor tooth fairy just became a repeat criminal!

"Ivory" means any tooth or tusk composed of ivory from any animal, including, but not limited to, an elephant, hippopotamus, mammoth, narwhal, walrus, or whale, or any piece thereof, whether raw ivory or worked ivory, or made into, or part of, an ivory product.

I'm sure some of the new ones cookin in the pot are similar to

Limiting the number of citizens allowed to exit the state every year.

Taxing sales tax. They aren't increasing the tax, just proposing to add a value fee. If you are paying sales tax, it just goes to reason that you must have money, and it only seems like common sense that you should pay your fair share.

Alternative road repair methods. If the existing road fund is depleted before the end of the budget year, a grant would exist to purchase thick area rugs to throw over the remaining potholes. Nobody wants to see anyone get hurt.

This ^^^^

Sarcasm on -

Welcome to the peoples republic of Illinois, the rooskies have taken hold... Just listen to our new proposed state anthem -

And you must mean 5 Firearms "per" household must be turned in each year... Cant have an armed citizenry can we? :frantics:

Sarcasm off -

Representative Peter J. Roskam ( R) 6th District in Illinois, cosponsored the BILL HB02345 'Firearms Restraining Order Act' in which a family member or spouse or law enforcement can petition to take guns from a residence just because someone "said" that a person was a danger.

Representative Peter J. Roskam was the ONLY Republican to cosponsor this bill...the rest were Democrats.

Representative Peter J. Roskam

Representative Peter J. Roskam ( R) 6th District in Illinois, cosponsored the BILL HB02345 'Firearms Restraining Order Act' in which a family member or spouse or law enforcement can petition to take guns from a residence just because someone "said" that a person was a danger.

Representative Peter J. Roskam was the ONLY Republican to cosponsor this bill...the rest were Democrats.

This is an amazing first post.

Not that there's anything wrong with having a first post, but I think this one has accuracy issues.

Freddy, please check your facts and feel free to return with an update.

Do you have a link to this bill?

...and welcome to IllinoisCarry.com

Not possible by any stretch of the imagination. I am not a fan of Roskam and worked very hard to see him shown the door at midnight today! But there is no way he could have co-sponsored this bill. He is, albeit for only a few more hours, a member of the US House of Representatives. This bill was in the Illinois State Legislature were Rep. Roskam has no official position beyond citizen of the state of Illinois.

I think you might be thinking of HR38 in the 115th Congress which was the bill to allow CCW reciprocity. Roskam voted NO on that bill, one of 14 Republicans

Not possible by any stretch of the imagination. I am not a fan of Roskam and worked very hard to see him shown the door at midnight today! But there is no way he could have co-sponsored this bill. He is, albeit for only a few more hours, a member of the US House of Representatives. This bill was in the Illinois State Legislature were Rep. Roskam has no official position beyond citizen of the state of Illinois.

I think you might be thinking of HR38 in the 115th Congress which was the bill to allow CCW reciprocity. Roskam voted NO on that bill, one of 14 Republicans

But hey, Welcome to the Forum anyway! :flowers:

'Firearms Restraining Order act'

This kind of seems like a double edged sword. On one side, it removes a firearm from someone who is legitimately a potential danger to themselves or others. On the other side it allows someone to remove firearms from a law abiding citizen even if they diddnt do anything wrong. So a vengeful person may use this in an un-lawful manner as well. Am I right?

'[/size]Firearms Restraining Order act'

This kind of seems like a double edged sword. On one side, it removes a firearm from someone who is legitimately a potential danger to themselves or others. On the other side it allows someone to remove firearms from a law abiding citizen even if they diddnt do anything wrong. So a vengeful person may use this in an un-lawful manner as well. Am I right?

It has the potential for abuse.

Welcome to IC.

'Firearms Restraining Order act'

... So a vengeful person may use this in an un-lawful manner as well. Am I right?

The ease with which abuse can occur varies from state to state.

There are 13 states with extreme risk order of protection laws: CA, CT, DE, FL, IL, IN, MD, MA, NJ. OR, RI, VT, WA.

3 states require probable cause to issue an order: CT, IL, IN.

Although RI currently has the weakest protection for the accused and no penalty for false reports, a state bill likely to be passed addresses those problems, making it soon to be 4 states requiring probable cause.

The remaining 9 states have weaker burden of proof requirements, including 2 that allow ex parte orders (CA and DE) and 1 that allows a wide variety of petitioners (MD), including any doctor or mental health worker. CA and DE would be the only ones I'd say come close to a presumption of guilt.

4 states have no penalty for false petitions: CT, IN, MD, NJ (and currently RI).

3 states consider false petitions to be felonies: DE, FL, IL (and soon to be RI).

The remaining 5 states consider false petitions to be misdemeanors.

5 states enter the protection orders into NICS: FL, MA, OR, RI, WA.

Recall the case a few weeks ago of a guy who was killed by police who served him an apparently baseless order petitioned by his wife as part of some domestic argument. It took place in MD, one of the 2 states with a weak burden of proof requirement (IMO second weakest only to RI, so soon to be weakest when RI passes their updated law) and no penalty for false petitions. (The other one is NJ.)

Notice also BTW that IL has the strongest proof requirement for an order and the strongest penalty for filing a false petition (thanks in no small part to Molly).

Archived