Cook County Sheriff Braces For Layoffs if soda tax is struck down...link

Sweeper13

Anyone know how long the restraining thingy will last, and when the actual case will come up for hearing?

There should be a hearing today , taxwinkle wants the injunction removed so she can get your fall wardrobe

Does anyone know if a hearing took place? Or if not when? Stores are still charging the tax in Cook County during the stay.

Anyone know how long the restraining thingy will last, and when the actual case will come up for hearing?

There should be a hearing today , taxwinkle wants the injunction removed so she can get your fall wardrobe

Does anyone know if a hearing took place? Or if not when? Stores are still charging the tax in Cook County during the stay.

http://wgntv.com/2017/07/21/restraining-order-on-cook-county-soda-tax-extended-a-week/

..."CHICAGO — A Cook County judge has extended for another week a temporary restraining order blocking a proposed tax on sweetened beverages.

Judge Daniel Kubasiak on Friday heard arguments from the county and attorneys for the Illinois Retail Merchants Association on the county's motion to dismiss the order. Afterward, Kubasiak said he would rule on the issue on July 28"...

Anyone living in Crook county should realize this is far from the end of it. The only question is when will they come up with another. My guess is within a year. The price for living in that social paradise continues to rise.

Yep, and that's exactly why I have a problem with this tax. I'm sure they are already coming up with another tax for 2018.

As soon as a good job opportunity opens up in Missouri, I'm out of here. I saw my former supervisor from Texas recently at a conference. She told me my old job is waiting for me any time I want it. Too bad I can't handle the heat there.

WOW! Bought a 2 liter at walmart today (priced at $1.00) and paid almost 70% tax on it ($0.68). It is insane!

Stop doing that, stock up next time you leave the county to buy ammo, guns, gas, cigarettes, whatever. Starve the beast!

I will not comply! Don't know why the pic is sideways lol.

LOL! I'm with you. A lesson learned.

How would they handle a restaurant or fast food joint that sells a complete meal as part of a package and the drink is not priced separately? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought the tax is based on the volume the container holds. So if the meal includes a 32 oz drink you get taxed for 32 ounces even if after ice you only get 24 ounces of beverage.

Preckwinkle is now suing the IRMA, the same plaintiffs in the suit against the tax, for financial damages as a result of the IRMA lawsuit (SERIOUSLY!?). Here's what the circuit judge had to say...

"I could find no such case of a governmental body suing a taxpayer who had challenged a tax...."

"I can tell you that I am troubled by this, the chilling effect of the government saying that you best not challenge us because if you are proven wrong, we will come and get damages from you."

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20170803/BLOGS02/170809929/cook-county-pop-tax-fight-has-president-preckwinkle-suing-for-damages

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Archived