Can lame duck legislation be passed to new governor? JBP to sign 1/17

InterestedBystander

We can only imagine what this guy will pull in the next four years. All to make the people of Illinois feel "safer".

Everyone needs to get active. Easiest form of doing so (besides writing usesless letters and emails, as they’re ignored mostly) is to find out what’s being communicated locally to your governments by FOIAing them, as many gun grabbing groups (Moms Demand Action is the biggest offender) are reaching out to city leaders/county boards . If anyone wants to know how, I’ll be happy to assist

Full story at link

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-met-jb-pritzker-gun-dealer-licensing-20190116-story.html

..."Gov. J.B. Pritzker to sign bill to require state licensing of Illinois gun dealers on Thursday

Gov. J.B. Pritzker plans to sign a bill on Thursday that would give the state more oversight over Illinois gun dealers, after Democrats kept the paperwork off former Republican Gov. Bruce Rauners desk in order to avoid a veto during his administrations final days, according to a state lawmaker.

The proposal would require firearm stores to get state licenses, a move that supporters contend could reduce gun violence because federal regulators are stretched too thin to adequately handle all the shops operating in Illinois

Pritzker is set to sign it into law at Young Elementary School on Thursday morning, according to Democratic state Sen. Don Harmon of Oak Park, the proposals sponsor. Lawmakers approved it last year in the wake of the killing of Chicago police Cmdr. Paul Bauer and the high school shooting in Parkland, Fla.

This is a commonsense piece of legislation, so when I introduced it a decade and a half ago, I thought we would be celebrating this day much sooner, Harmon said. But important causes are worth fighting for, and I am proud to stand with the countless advocates and supporters who have stuck with us for all these years.

A Pritzker spokeswoman declined to comment."...

Not sure why money should be wasted on a lawsuit that only addresses the manner in which the bill is signed when with super majorities the democrats have guarantees the bill would pass again. At best, that would probably only lead to a month or so delay. Now, if there are constitutional problems with the bill under the second amendment, I can see taking those on. I have yet to see anyone actually point to a requirement that a passed bill can only be sent to a governor in office at the time the bill was passed.

Not sure why money should be wasted on a lawsuit that only addresses the manner in which the bill is signed when with super majorities the democrats have guarantees the bill would pass again. At best, that would probably only lead to a month or so delay. Now, if there are constitutional problems with the bill under the second amendment, I can see taking those on. I have yet to see anyone actually point to a requirement that a passed bill can only be sent to a governor in office at the time the bill was passed.

Bye that rational a bill passed 3 years ago could be signed by a new governor.

Bye that rational a bill passed 3 years ago could be signed by a new governor.

It would also mean that in the future if a bill couldn't be passed through the new assembly could still be sent to the new governor. It essentially makes elections irrelevant

So what does this crap legislation actually do? Besides create a registry and drive up costs for FFL's.

By driving up costs for FFLs it will inevitably drive some of them out of business, making it that much harder for anyone to exercise their 2nd amendment rights

If you mean what will it do to combat crime and reduce violence, the answer is nothing

So I am hearing rumblings on other forums that the dealer licencing bill will allow the state AG to basically make a safe gun list like California or Mass does; first I am hearing of this. Do they have a little surprise of not fun in there?

Not sure if it contains anything to do that but now anything is possible and they could ram it right through. IMHO an "assault weapons" ban and mag ban are inevitable and probably will be rolling out this spring and if it has a grandfather clause that means registration and most likely a fee to do so for each firearm. the mass killer enablers like the "moms" and the Brady loons have a wide open door for at least the next 4 years.

What is the "registration" component of this mentioned above? Does it impact previous transactions or transactions after it goes into effect?

After any legislation goes into effect, there will be no more transactions. If it looks anything like some of the bills that have been passed lately, you will have the opportunity to register for 90 days or so after the legislation goes into effect, or face felony charges. That is the goal. On the other hand, they could push to not grandfather anything, registration or no, and make felons out of thousands and thousands overnight. This was the approach of the last bill they pushed.

So what does this crap legislation actually do? Besides create a registry and drive up costs for FFL's.

Nothing, except make Everytown and Moms Demand Action feel good

Making moms feel....AKA democracy in action.

Everytown is the most dangerous organization in American politics. If the NRA doesn't go to war with them, Bloomie is going to run roughshod through state legislatures from sea to shining sea. No need to wait for the DC deadlock to break.

Nothing, except make Everytown and Moms Demand Action feel good

Making moms feel....AKA democracy in action.

Everytown is the most dangerous organization in American politics. If the NRA doesn't go to war with them, Bloomie is going to run roughshod through state legislatures from sea to shining sea. No need to wait for the DC deadlock to break.

Just remember it's the gun that's the problem. Not the shooter.

Just remember it's the gun that's the problem. Not the shooter.

It isn't a question of education, it's one of confronting a whole host of uncomfortable realities, on both sides of the "debate".

Shannon & Co. have been quite clear as to their actual goals, check-out her social media sometime. Our problem is that we continue to assume good faith and reason have a seat at the table.

What is the "registration" component of this mentioned above? Does it impact previous transactions or transactions after it goes into effect?

After any legislation goes into effect, there will be no more transactions. If it looks anything like some of the bills that have been passed lately, you will have the opportunity to register for 90 days or so after the legislation goes into effect, or face felony charges. That is the goal. On the other hand, they could push to not grandfather anything, registration or no, and make felons out of thousands and thousands overnight. This was the approach of the last bill they pushed.

Specifically what I'm wondering is if they are going to make FFLs hand their books over to the state.

It can't be passed to the new Governor but rules, procedures, laws, the Constitution and people's rights don't matter to them and they are emboldened and feel they can do whatever they want now. They can even pass retroactive ex post facto laws which are specifically forbidden by the Constitution and turn millions of people into felons for something they bought legally and is protected by the Constitution. To them the ends justify the means. When Bloomberg becomes king, people will start obeying his laws.

According to the Illinois Constitution, didn’t they have to send it to the Gov 30 days after it was passed to get it to Rauner in 2018 and NOT freeze it?

SECTION 9. VETO PROCEDURE

(a) Every bill passed by the General Assembly shall be

presented to the Governor within 30 calendar days after its

passage. The foregoing requirement shall be judicially

enforceable. If the Governor approves the bill, he shall sign

it and it shall become law.

From - The Illinois Constitution

http://www.ilga.gov/commission/lrb/conent.htm

According to the Illinois Constitution, didn’t they have to send it to the Gov 30 days after it was passed to get it to Rauner in 2018 and NOT freeze it?

SECTION 9. VETO PROCEDURE

(a) Every bill passed by the General Assembly shall be

presented to the Governor within 30 calendar days after its

passage. The foregoing requirement shall be judicially

enforceable. If the Governor approves the bill, he shall sign

it and it shall become law.

From - The Illinois Constitution

http://www.ilga.gov/commission/lrb/conent.htm

If you look at the actions of a bill that becomes law, there are separate entries recorded for the successful vote and that the bill passed both houses. The procedural trickery Sen. Cullerton used after the successful vote delayed the recording of the bill's passage until January 8. That would appear to be the starting point of the 30 day countdown, not the recording of the vote itself. The bill was sent to the governor yesterday, well within the 30 day window.

This is where lawyers will need to jump in, because as far as I can see, there is nothing to prevent this from happening.

Archived