Illinois General Assembly 11/8/2017

mauserme

From a Second Amendment point of view, the legislature yesterday was more noteworthy for what did not happen than for what did.

Though still on the calendar and eligible for a vote, SB1657 Gun Dealer Licensing was very much dependant upon adoption and passage of Senate Amendment 1 to SB333. This latter combination would have created a trailer bill to gun dealer licensing, watering it down enough to possibly add a couple votes. They say timing is everything and, in this case, they are right. Passage of the trailer bill would have had to take place yesterday in order to have a path through both bodies before the end of the Veto Session. With that possibility gone, and the potential that Thursday's House session will be cancelled, there's really no path forward for the trailer bill at this time, other than a symbolic vote in the Senate.

This doesn't necessarily mean we're out of the woods just yet, however. Proponents of dealer licensing are working feverishly to add a few votes even without the trailer bill. We will be watchful, and ask that you continue to contact your State Representatives reminding them to vote against SB1657.

The House is scheduled for 12:30 PM tomorrow; the Senate for 12:00 Noon.

Next Days Scheduled

House: 11/9/2017 1/23/2018
Senate: 11/9/2017

House Calendar

House Supplemental Calendar 1

Senate Calendar

Senate Supplemental Calendar 1

House Supplemental Calendar 2

technical

House Calendar

12:30 PM

HR648 Firearm Awareness Task Force

Neutral/Oppose

Sponsor: Ford

Synopsis As Introduced

Reconstitutes the Firearm Public Awareness Task Force.

House Amendment 1 - Pending

Adds a member to the Task Force from the Illinois Department of Public Health.

SB1657 Gun Dealer Licensing

Oppose

Senate Sponsor: Harmon, Morrison, Collins, Raoul, Biss, Steans, Castro, Martinez, Link, Murphy, Muñoz, Van Pelt, Silverstein, Trotter, Jones, Lightford, Sandoval, Aquino (added after passage: Hunter)

House Sponsor: Willis, Sims, Flynn Curie, Welch, Mitchell, Feigenholtz, Slaughter, Fine, Harper, Lilly, Cassidy, Williams, Burke (Kelly), Evans, Soto, Burke (Dan), Arroyo, Andrade, Guzzardi, Drury, Flowers, Tabares, Stratton, Ford, Hernandez, Gabel, Thapedi, Mussman, Jones, Moeller, Lang

Synopsis As Introduced

Creates the Gun Dealer Licensing Act. Provides that it is unlawful for a person to engage in the business of selling, leasing, or otherwise transferring firearms without a license issued by the Department of Financial and Professional Regulation. Provides that a dealership agent other than a dealer licensee-in-charge may act on behalf of the licensed dealership without being licensed as a dealer under the Act. Creates the Gun Dealer Licensing Board consisting of 5 members appointed by the Secretary of Financial and Professional Regulation to recommend policies, procedures, and rules relevant to the administration and enforcement of the Act. Provides that the holder of a dealership license issued under the Act may employ in the conduct of his or her business dealership agents. Establishes qualifications for obtaining dealership licenses and for being employed as a dealership agent. Establishes penalties for violations of the Act. Provides for rulemaking, including emergency rulemaking. Amends the Regulatory Sunset Act. Provides that the Act is repealed on January 1, 2028. Amends the Illinois Administrative Procedure Act. Makes conforming changes.

Senate Amendment 1 - Adopted

Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Reinserts the provisions of the bill except: (1) provides that "dealer" includes the following Federal Firearms Licenses: Type 01-dealer in firearms other than destructive devices; Type 02-pawnbroker in firearms other than destructive devices; Type 09-dealer of destructive devices; (2) defines "collector" and "licensed collector"; (3) defines "importer"; (4) provides that "manufacturer" includes the following types of Federal Firearms Licenses: Type 06-manufacturer of ammunition for firearms other than ammunition for destructive devices or armor piercing ammunition; Type 07-manufacturer of firearms other than destructive devices; Type 10-manufacturer of destructive devices, ammunition for destructive devices, or armor piercing ammunition; (5) provides that the exemption from licensing under the Gun Dealer Licensing Act for transfers of pieces or parts of a firearm that do not themselves qualify as firearms under the federal Gun Control Act of 1968 by a person who is actually engaged in manufacturing and selling those pieces or parts but only on the activities which are within the lawful scope of that business applies only to the manufacture of which do not require the manufacturer to hold a Federal Firearms License; (6) provides that a person licensed as an auctioneer under the Auction License Act may facilitate a transfer permitted under the Gun Dealer Licensing Act without being registered as a dealer under the Act; (7) provides that a dealer holding a Federal Firearms License Type 01-dealer in firearms other than destructive devices; Type 02-pawnbroker in firearms other than destructive devices; or Type 09-dealer of destructive devices on April 1, 2017, is not exempt from the Gun Dealer Licensing Act by obtaining a Manufacturer Federal Firearms License or Importer Federal Firearms License; and (8) exempts from the requirements of licensure under the Gun Dealer Licensing Act, transfers of firearms by a dealer in which 20% or less of the dealer's annual sales are from the sale of firearms.

Senate Calendar

12:00 Noon

SB236 ("Assault Weapon" & Trigger Modification Ban)

Oppose Senate Amendment 1

Sponsor: Morrison, Muñoz

Senate Amendment 1 - Pending

Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Amends the Criminal Code of 2012. Makes it unlawful to deliver, sell, or purchase or cause to be delivered, sold, or purchased or cause to be possessed by another, an assault weapon or assault weapon attachment. Makes it unlawful for any person to knowingly possess an assault weapon 300 days after the effective date of this amendatory Act, except possession of weapons registered with the State Police in the time provided. Provides exemptions and penalties. Prohibits delivery, sale, purchase, or possession of large capacity ammunition feeding devices. Provides exemptions and penalties. Prohibits the knowing sale, manufacture, purchase, possession, or carrying of a trigger modification device. Defines terms. Effective immediately.

SB315 FOID Explosive Components

Oppose

Senate Sponsor: Morrison, Murphy

House Sponsor: Conroy

Senate Amendment 1 - Adopted

Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Provides that no person may acquire or possess any pre-packaged explosive components within this State without having in his or her possession a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police. Provides that upon receiving a request from a federally licensed firearm dealer, the Department of State Police shall immediately approve or disprove the delivery of pre-packaged explosive components and the notify the inquiring dealer of any objection that would disqualify the transferee from acquiring or possessing pre-packaged explosive components. Provides that in conducting the inquiry, the Department of State Police shall initiate and complete an automated search of its criminal history record information files and those of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, including the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, and of the files of the Department of Human Services relating to mental health and developmental disabilities to obtain any felony conviction or patient hospitalization information which would disqualify a person from obtaining or require revocation of a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card. Amends the Criminal Code of 2012. Provides that a person commits unlawful sale or delivery of pre-packaged explosive components when he or she knowingly sells or gives pre-packaged explosive components to a person who is disqualified under the Firearm Owner's Identification Card Act; sells or transfers pre-packaged explosive components to a person who does not display to the seller or transferor of the pre-packaged explosive components a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card that has previously been issued in the transferee's name by the Department of State Police under the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act; or sells or gives pre-packaged explosive components while engaged in the business of selling pre-packaged explosive components at wholesale or retail without being licensed as a federal firearms dealer under the federal Gun Control Act of 1968. Provides that any person who is convicted of unlawful sale or delivery of pre-packaged explosive components commits a Class 4 felony. Defines "pre-packaged explosive components". Makes other changes. Effective July 1, 2018.

Senate Amendment 2 - Adopted

Deletes language in Senate Amendment No. 1 providing that upon receiving a request from a federally licensed firearm dealer, the Department of State Police shall immediately approve or disprove the delivery of pre-packaged explosive components and notify the inquiring dealer of any objection that would disqualify the transferee from acquiring or possessing pre-packaged explosive components. Deletes language providing that in conducting the inquiry, the Department of State Police shall initiate and complete an automated search of its criminal history record information files and those of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, including the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, and of the files of the Department of Human Services relating to mental health and developmental disabilities to obtain any felony conviction or patient hospitalization information which would disqualify a person from obtaining or require revocation of a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card.

SB333 (SB1657 Gun Dealer Licensing Trailer Bill)

Oppose

Senate Sponsor: Harmon

Senate Amendment 1 - Approved in Committee

Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Provides that if and only if Senate Bill 1657 of the 100th General Assembly becomes law in the form in which it passed the Senate on April 27, 2017, then the Gun Dealer Licensing Act is amended by providing that the requirement that a licensee who operates the business at a permanent physical location that is open to the public, that location shall be equipped with a video surveillance system sufficient to monitor the critical areas of the business premises, including, but not limited to, all places where firearms are stored, handled, sold, transferred, or carried does not take effect until January 1, 2021, provides the expiration date and renewal period for each license shall be 5 years, and provides that an application fee or renewal fee for a dealership license or a dealer license shall not exceed $1,000 for the 5-year period. Effective upon Senate Bill 1657 of the 100th General Assembly becoming law.

Posted · Hidden by mauserme, November 8, 2017 at 03:35 AM - No reason given
Hidden by mauserme, November 8, 2017 at 03:35 AM - No reason given

From a Second Amendment point of view, the legislature yesterday was more noteworthy for what did not happen than for what did.

Though still on the calendar and eligible for a vote, SB1657 Gun Dealer Licensing was very much dependant upon adoption and passage of Senate Amendment 1 to SB333. This latter combination would have created a trailer bill to gun dealer licensing, watering it down enough to possibly add a couple votes. They say timing is everything and, in this case, they are right. Passage of the trailer bill would have had to take place yesterday in order to have a path through both bodies before the end of the Veto Session. With that possibility gone, and the potential that Thursday's House session will be cancelled, there's really no path forward for the trailer bill at this time, other than a symbolic vote in the Senate.

This doesn't necessarily mean we're out of the woods just yet, however. Proponents of dealer licensing are working feverishly to add a few votes even without the trailer bill. We will be watchful, and ask that you continue to contact your State Representatives reminding them to vote against SB1657.

The House is scheduled for 12:30 PM tomorrow; the Senate for 12:00 Noon.

Next Days Scheduled

House: 11/9/2017

Senate: 11/9/2017

House Calendar

Senate Calendar

adjustment

Rumor has it ICHV and Peaceful Communities are taking busses (probably just one bus :) ) down to spring field to push for gun dealer licensing to pass on the 8th.

Correct me if I am wrong. Thursday is the last day of this session? I think tomorrow afternoon or Thursday are going to be pins and needles.

Rumor has it ICHV and Peaceful Communities are taking busses (probably just one bus :) ) down to spring field to push for gun dealer licensing to pass on the 8th.

Correct me if I am wrong. Thursday is the last day of this session? I think tomorrow afternoon or Thursday are going to be pins and needles.

^Great way to make a few bucks and get a rag to wash your truck.

It might be more than one bus since those people normally ride the short buses.

:) hah!

Peaceful just referred to ICHV bus.

Digging failed to find anything about a (ICHV) bus meet point, neither website or facebook. NOTHING about a bus at all.

until proven otherwise, vaporware.

lee goodman delusions or fake news.

If they defaulted to ICHV HQ (and phone only communications) , all them grabbers gotta get into the loop and perhaps pay the ruinous loop parking rates. Makes me smile.....

edit: found it

Mom's facebook shows very recent picture posts of "Advocacy Day" to try to pass SB1657. Pictures show carpoolers, and a 55 passenger tour bus interior.

Seems this is a Mom's event/push. Can't say how many that they have, but I counted 20 red shirts - and a capitol 1st floor hall gathering of people at a table. Generously - about 50...

I too did some hunting and pecking around trying to find info about this bus. I was laughing when I saw their facebook page has only 75 followers. There is nearly no activity.

I too did some hunting and pecking around trying to find info about this bus. I was laughing when I saw their facebook page has only 75 followers. There is nearly no activity.

Between us I think we gave them a record activity day.

Most of their traffic may be US keeping track of them!! :cool:

There's a pretty good chance Thursday session will be cancelled, at least in the House. Any pins and needles will probably be today.

Saw an interview on, I think channel 2 at 10PM last night with Kotowski. He puked up all the usual stuff and lied through his false teeth with all the usual vague pablum; "Common Sense", "These stores need regulation for the safety of our children".

When the news person asked, "But aren't they already regulated by the Federal Government and BATFE?"

Kotoski's answer, after stuttering for a bit, was; "Well, they need more regulation"

Freakin' brilliant spokesweasel.

House session is cancelled for 11/9/2017.

That makes today the last day of this session, correct? If we are going to see action on SB1657, it will be in the next several hours.

Archived