Pro 2A resolution - Archive

Ashdump

Passed the Legislative committee yesterday 2 yea 1 pass vote. The pass vote wanted the language amended to make it 'reasonable gun laws', which the other 2 members promptly shot down.

Plans are to present it to the full board for a vote tomorrow @ 9:30.

Dist 5 & 6 are for sure solid. Keep up the phone calls to all the others tonight if you can.

If it looks like we won't have the numbers for this month (due to some of them being pansies and are still afraid of it before the election) we would try to get it tabled till we are sure we have the votes(27 member board, will need 14).

Here is a link to the resolution

http://www.willcountyillinois.com/CBAgenda/Legislative.PDF

Hope we can be #87

Passed the Legislative committee yesterday 2 yea 1 pass vote. The pass vote wanted the language amended to make it 'reasonable gun laws', which the other 2 members promptly shot down.

Plans are to present it to the full board for a vote tomorrow @ 9:30.

Dist 5 & 6 are for sure solid. Keep up the phone calls to all the others tonight if you can.

If it looks like we won't have the numbers for this month (due to some of them being pansies and are still afraid of it before the election) we would try to get it tabled till we are sure we have the votes(27 member board, will need 14).

Here is a link to the resolution

http://www.willcountyillinois.com/CBAgenda/Legislative.PDF

Hope we can be #87

If it's tabled, does it have to back before the exec committee to be voted on again, or does it sit until someone brings it up for vote?

It's a great day for sure! There have been numerous people working to get this done here. Doug from the Will Co ISRA group finally got his board member to bring it forward to the Exec committee. The work by Doug, Terry K, myself and many others (including those of you here that made the phone calls) all should give yourselves a pat on the back.

I must clear up an earlier post I made. The resolution actually failed legislative committee. Due to some changes in the open meetings act it must pass by a majority of the total committee, not just those present. The legislative committee has 5 members, but only 3 were present at their last meeting on Tuesday. 2 voted for and 1 passed (he wanted the language 'reasonable gun legislation' inserted into the resolution) so it failed committee. HOWEVER, the chair of the committee felt that since it was already on the full board agenda for today that it needed to be brought for a full vote. Kudos to Lee Ann Goodson for pushing this to the full board.

Myself, Doug, Terry and Ed Ronkowski attended the meeting, and Ed spoke to the board. Again, Ms. Goodson must be commended for bringing a motion to suspend the rules to allow Ed to speak. Board rules state you must sign up 48 hours before the meeting to be allowed to speak, but due to the fact that the legislative committe hadn't even voted on it till Tuesday after 9:30, there is no way we could of known it would even make it to full board.

The lone no vote came from District 7 Board member Kathleen Konicki of Homer Glen. She said while she supports the 2A, she 1) felt the 'economic impact' wording cheapened the resolution and 2) that the board would be acting as both legislator and judiciary in the way it was worded. Don't ask me what the heck she was talking about, no one else in the room could figure it out either.

There were 3 members absent from the meeting(Stewert, Woods), and the one that passed his vote in the legislative sub committee meeting(John Anderson, District 1, Frankfort area)

Let me tell you, I was shocked that the vote went as it did. I fully expected to to be a partisian vote. When the Dem members (all from the Joliet/Lockport area) also voted yes I almost fell out of my chair. There was apparently 2 board members that had left the room for whatever reason during the vote, but I don't know who they were. Most members are up and about at times during the meeting (washroom, phone calls, etc) so they may have just been busy doing something else, or may have left on purpose, I don't know.

In any event, I believe this is HUGE victory for all of us. Hopefully this will help some of the other counties sitting on the fence to move on it.

If you live in Will Co. and/or made contact with any of the board members please call those that voted for and thank them for their vote.

Dave

I might also add there is the ever so slightest chance this may not be over.

Will County has the 'Executive' form of county government (the only one in IL I believe)

The county executive, an elected position, presides over the meetings, but has no voting power at the board meeting. He could, however, veto the resolution.

I don't believe I have seen him veto anything in quite a while, and a 21-1 vote is veto proof, but stranger things have happened.

The resolution now goes to his office for signing, and at the next meeting will be official. Typically the first item of old business is the 'status of unsigned or returned resolutions/ordinances by the County Executive'

We probably won't see it back signed untill the last Nov board meeting.

Sorry...just got on line, been busy with an emergency, will have the numbers up soon!!!

THIS IS HUGE!

Edit:

% of IL counties green........................85%

% of total population green.................31.8%

% of state FOIDs in green counties......52.6%

% of pop in green counties with FOID...14.9%

(% of total population with FOID............9.5%)

post-139-1224200450.jpg

I might also add there is the ever so slightest chance this may not be over.

Will County has the 'Executive' form of county government (the only one in IL I believe)

The county executive, an elected position, presides over the meetings, but has no voting power at the board meeting. He could, however, veto the resolution.

I don't believe I have seen him veto anything in quite a while, and a 21-1 vote is veto proof, but stranger things have happened.

The resolution now goes to his office for signing, and at the next meeting will be official. Typically the first item of old business is the 'status of unsigned or returned resolutions/ordinances by the County Executive'

We probably won't see it back signed untill the last Nov board meeting.

Question is, how good a buddy is the "county executive" with Daley and the Chicago machine???

If he chooses to use his veto override, seems to me that would put him in the company of Emil Jones, Rod Blagojavich, and Pius Weibel (Chairman of Champaign County Board)!

Beginning 1 1/2 yrs of effort, the map on April 24, 2007:

Actually, Shelby County and Livingston counties went green in 2003.

I was aware of Shelby...Abolt I believe, updated us on that early on, but I didn't realize Livingston had passed a res that early.

This map shows only those that were green as a result of the grassroots movement begun in about April 1, '07. I believe Shelby County reaffirmed its resolution shortly after that. Abolt????

I show the following dates as to when these counties passed their resolutions:

Shelby 06/11/03

Livingston 06/12/03

Don't ask me to provide verification. :laugh:

I have a copy of the resolution passed by Shelby that confirms the date above. I know that a confirming vote was held just before or after the grassroot movement was started in Brown and Pike. I can't find the date of that confirmation vote in my records.

The resolution was passed in Shelby as a result of the work of one man, Jim Warren, who happens have been and still is a board member. Jim is also very active in the ISRA. Jim acted in response to some bills being presented at the time in the Gen Assem that would have abridged 2A rights further in this state. When the movement in Brown/Pike became public, Jim brought the resolution back before the board in '07 just to confirm the feeling of the board. It passed unanimously again.

You can change the map if you want, if not, it won't bother me. Brown/Pike were the catalyst that got 87 counties on the map. Shelby and Livingston were just ahead of the times a little.

AB

I show the following dates as to when these counties passed their resolutions:

Shelby 06/11/03

Livingston 06/12/03

Don't ask me to provide verification. :laugh:

I have a copy of the resolution passed by Shelby that confirms the date above. I know that a confirming vote was held just before or after the grassroot movement was started in Brown and Pike. I can't find the date of that confirmation vote in my records.

The resolution was passed in Shelby as a result of the work of one man, Jim Warren, who happens have been and still is a board member. Jim is also very active in the ISRA. Jim acted in response to some bills being presented at the time in the Gen Assem that would have abridged 2A rights further in this state. When the movement in Brown/Pike became public, Jim brought the resolution back before the board in '07 just to confirm the feeling of the board. It passed unanimously again.

You can change the map if you want, if not, it won't bother me. Brown/Pike were the catalyst that got 87 counties on the map. Shelby and Livingston were just ahead of the times a little.

AB

Thank you, sir! :laugh:

2aLCB_meeting_signcolor.doc2aLCB_meeting_sign.doc

What is happening with the resolution in Lake County?

Hi Guys,

Here are the updates.

Bad news. Lake County Board has no intention of putting the resolution on the agenda at this time. The county will be turning red do to there rejection of the resolution.

There are some board members that just don't have respect for the Constitution or your rights. They don't believe the 1st or 2nd Amendment is relevant. We must not give up. Or all of our rights will be trampled by some on this board.

Here are the events as I see them from Oct 14th 2008. We had about 10 people at the meeting. We had 3 people who wished to speak myself included. At the time for public speaking Suzi Schmidt looked at the 3 forms that the speakers have to fill out. She then said that we would not be allowed to speak. My name was mentioned but as I heard none were to have the right to address the board. I stood and demanded our 1st Amendment rights. There was refusal from Schmidt and demands for rights from me. It was heated. I was told that Sabonjian called me a jackass. I saw him get up and head out of the room. I am told that Carlson also left the room. Stolman was defending our right to speak and I believe that Spielman was also. Two police entered the room and I saw that Sabonjian sat back down. Schmidt then allowed us to speak. Ellen went first. As she finished Schmidt told her its not county business. They exchanged comments. The second speaker was here for the first time he did not receive any comments from Schmidt. I was the third speaker I reminded them of the Constitution again and the First Amendment. They are the officials elected by us and we have the right to petition them. I told them their ignoring the 1st, 2nd, and 4th Amendments. I warned them we will not forget this and that they may have this election but there will be more and we will find good people to run against them.

Guys all I can say is they really don't want to support the Constitution. It's not just the Second Amendment.

We have to show up at the board meetings. We need larger numbers at the board meetings. We have to demand our right to speak. We have to push for the Second Amendment Resolution.

Jim Stewart

Attachments are:

1. 2aLCB meeting small (4 per page cut up and hand out to friends)2aLCB_meeting_signcolor.doc

2. 2aLCB meeting sign ( 8x11 post them )2aLCB_meeting_sign.doc

3. LC resolution Petition (U.S. Residents,15 line, no notary)2ndA_LakeCounty_resolution_4.doc

I wasn't at the Lake County board meeting, but my brother did go and frankly he said the entire debacle was an embassassment to our cause.

Does anyone think we are helping get this passed by engaging in shouting matches with the board president? Do we really want the video of this showing on the county cable access channel for the next month?

The board isn't going to be forced to take up something they don't want to because anyone yells at them. They have made it clear that the resolution is not going to be brought up. I don't agree with their refusal and the reasons given, but that is their position. Instead of shouting at this point perhaps we should be working on quietly educating. What is it about the resolution they see differently than the board members in the 85 counties that have passed it? How can that perception be changed?

Creating a scene and getting the deputies called in isn't helping us at this point.

Bottom line is, during the meetings the board rules, but remember, come election day WE rule the board. It may be time to remind them that there is alwaya a political price to be paid for ignoring the people.

Just my slightly more than 2 cents worth...

I wasn't at the Lake County board meeting, but my brother did go and frankly he said the entire debacle was an embassassment to our cause.

Does anyone think we are helping get this passed by engaging in shouting matches with the board president? Do we really want the video of this showing on the county cable access channel for the next month?

The board isn't going to be forced to take up something they don't want to because anyone yells at them. They have made it clear that the resolution is not going to be brought up. I don't agree with their refusal and the reasons given, but that is their position. Instead of shouting at this point perhaps we should be working on quietly educating. What is it about the resolution they see differently than the board members in the 85 counties that have passed it? How can that perception be changed?

Creating a scene and getting the deputies called in isn't helping us at this point.

Bottom line is, during the meetings the board rules, but remember, come election day WE rule the board. It may be time to remind them that there is alwaya a political price to be paid for ignoring the people.

Just my slightly more than 2 cents worth...

Worth a lot more than 2 cents, and a point to remember for us in the remaining 15 counties.

Wow, what did I just say...remaining 15 counties, of 102!...WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope no one else is giving up; we aren't in Champaign County! Just kinda waitin' to see if we get rid of our roadblock in the upcoming election. Happen or not, we'll attack again!

I stood and demanded our 1st Amendment rights. There was refusal from Schmidt and demands for rights from me. It was heated. I was told that Sabonjian called me a jackass. I saw him get up and head out of the room. I am told that Carlson also left the room. Stolman was defending our right to speak and I believe that Spielman was also. Two police entered the room and I saw that Sabonjian sat back down. Schmidt then allowed us to speak.

I was the third speaker I reminded them of the Constitution again and the First Amendment. They are the officials elected by us and we have the right to petition them. I told them their ignoring the 1st, 2nd, and 4th Amendments. I warned them we will not forget this and that they may have this election but there will be more and we will find good people to run against them.

Guys all I can say is they really don't want to support the Constitution. It's not just the Second Amendment.

Wow. A 2A resolution turned into nasty exchanges regarding the much of the constitution? I am very happy that folks got to speak, but seems like very thin ice is being tread upon.

Here is hoping that all can keep this narrowly focused on the 2A ... and if that board digs in hard, it's probably best to back off and approach them again, later.

If we are an organization, then those who have been making the strategic decisions should be the ones to set the tactics that are appropriate to act as a well place piece of the outlined strategy. Then it is up to each individual as to whether or not to adhere to procedures thus outlined. If we are not an organization then whoever was not there should leave the decisions as to what was appropriate to those who were present in their attempt to move the action forward.

With that said, my idea is that you never want to approach anyone that may be able to supply you with something that you either want or need with hostility. As the man said in "Roadhouse", "Be Nice". However, some will see the act of being nice as weakness and will assume that you can be rolled. That is when you should not be nice. Those that are dismissive or opposed to your point of view either must respect you or fear you. If your intent is to instill fear, then that is when strategic planning is very important. The strong works and emotion has to followed up with action. Simpy saying that you are going to get yours next time will get you nowhere. They have to be punished and quickly. If you can't do that, being nice is your only option until you can take specific action that will disrupt their respective days. You can not wait two or four years to start your punishment.

For example, a few people were vocal in opposing the building of a new jail without voter approval in my county. They built the jail and the move to have those members of the board that voted "FOR" the jail removed started within weeks. Half of those who voted for the jail were removed from office in the next election which was within six months of the vote. We had to wait two more years, but the other half was either defeated or decided to retire when the next election to roll around. It took donation of time and money, but it was shown that our demands were demands not the wishes of "sheeple".

Now, those who were instrumental in accomplishing that feat are loved by some and hated by some, but their words are given weight if one of them attends a meeting and asks to speak. I don't know if that is because of respect or fear. You know what? I don't care either.

Now, getting nasty right now is really bad timing if you were to have any chance of exerting your ability to make their board seats vulnerable. Is there some other way that you can cause them grief. (Only using legal means, of course.) If not there is still time if you move quickly to get money for advertising to target those who are running to retain their board seat on Nov. 4th. Otherwise, you have gotten neither respect or fear. It is better to be thought of as a "sheeple" rather than a "blowhard sheeple".

They built the jail and the move to have those members of the board that voted "FOR" the jail removed started within weeks.

yep....looks like they still win. all their buddies get graft and fat cat contracts.

I think the time for bending over is past. I do not advocate yelling etc but I think calmly and firmly telling the board that they are violating their oath of office and are not morally fit for their office and do not have the integrity to adequately execute their duties is a descent & respectful response given their refusal uphold the constitution not to mention their oath.

They built the jail and the move to have those members of the board that voted "FOR" the jail removed started within weeks.

yep....looks like they still win. all their buddies get graft and fat cat contracts.

I think the time for bending over is past. I do not advocate yelling etc but I think calmly and firmly telling the board that they are violating their oath of office and are not morally fit for their office and do not have the integrity to adequately execute their duties is a descent & respectful response given their refusal uphold the constitution not to mention their oath.

Yep. Sadly that is true. And it was the poor dopes on the board that was trusting the "leadership" that wound up getting hurt. The "leadership" continues to get appointments, accolades, and awards. But they are not on the board any longer.

Archived