Taurus 992 .22 WMR .22 LR

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:12 PM

I've been looking for one of these to work on teaching my self-protection students who want to shoot revolvers, starting them on the .22 LR cylinder and then graduating them to the .22 WMR cylinder.

As well, using this with Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel .22 WMR actually makes it a viable 9-shot self-defense revolver, as I have seen the damage those do in pig carcasses out of a 5" barrel PMR-30.

I'd be willing to pay up to about $550 for it, but I am hoping to get it for about $500 used, and travel up to about 75–100 miles for it.

Unfortunately, I don't have anything I can trade for it; I'm all sort of Glocked out these days. Hah!

"A well educated Media, being necessary for the preservation of a free State, the right of the people to keep and read books, shall not be infringed."

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary for the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Gb1XExdm.jpg

#2 ChicagoRonin70

• 3,309 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:21 PM

Anyone even know anyone who has one for sale?

"A well educated Media, being necessary for the preservation of a free State, the right of the people to keep and read books, shall not be infringed."

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary for the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

Gb1XExdm.jpg

#3 357

• 1,046 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 03:02 PM

TSS Warehouse has the Taurus 992SS4 for 475.63 new with free shipping and no credit card fees.

https://tsswarehouse...aurus-2-992049/
If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.
James Madison

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
Edmund Burke

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"
George Orwell

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will loose both"
Benjamin Franklin

#4 lee n. field

• 1,946 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 01:43 PM

TSS Warehouse has the Taurus 992SS4 for 475.63 new with free shipping and no credit card fees.

from the site:

Firearms generally ship within 5 to 7 business days after order is placed.

I suspect that means they don't have them on hand, but order as needed from their distributor.

"Woe to you who desire the day of the LORD!
Why would you have the day of the LORD?
It is darkness, and not light,"

#5 357

• 1,046 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 02:56 PM

TSS Warehouse has the Taurus 992SS4 for 475.63 new with free shipping and no credit card fees.https://tsswarehouse...aurus-2-992049/

from the site:

Firearms generally ship within 5 to 7 business days after order is placed.

I suspect that means they don't have them on hand, but order as needed from their distributor.

The site says they have 10 in stock. That's a generic message about shipping time and many sites say that but ship sooner.
If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.
James Madison

Edmund Burke

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"
George Orwell

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will loose both"
Benjamin Franklin

#6 cherryriver

Actual Member

• Members
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 05:00 PM

Having been the owner of an excellent-quality Taurus revo, a blued 94 Kit Gun clone with target sights and a blue job close to a classic Smith, a couple of notes-

Current Taurus revolver production is just plain iffy.  You might have to go through three to get a good one.  One shop we instruct at finds a failure rate on the Brazilian round guns running about 20+%.  Several have not operated past the first trigger pull, locking up as poorly-fitted parts jam into a tangled mess.  You probably already know that.

It pains me to say, since, as mentioned, I've had success with the maker.

Secondly, in the course of our (many) classes, we've had several women, trending to the more mature side, who've believed they could not manage semi-autos and who've outfitted themselves (or, more commonly, were outfitted) with .22WMR guns.  I have to say, not one of these relationships worked out well.  Perhaps it was the shorter barrels, but the blast and recoil of the .22WMR was daunting to the point of discouraging.  Even I was slowed by the hellfire of the 2" versions, and I don't usually consider myself a weenie in such matters.  The three-incher was really no better.  Would four-plus be enough?  I fear not.

One lady could not be encouraged to fire a third round out of her 3" LCR; the gun was back in the dealer's case the following week.  That was not an atypical event.
Worse, at her request, I shot the gun and frankly, I didn't like shooting it, either.  That, coming from a guy whose old Cobra gets the call when the beloved .45s can't be used for the ride.

We have moved towards the SP101 stoked with .38 wadcutter ammunition, which is much quieter than .22WMR and of about the same recoil.  Yes, the capacity is much less than nine, but five is probably enough for nearly all cases of non-LEO incidents.  It's actually a dreamboat to shoot, and the trigger can be improved, unlike almost all Tauruses.

All that said, even though I own more revolvers than semis, we still believe that Joe and Jane Average with find greater success with a semi than any revolver, as the revo's trigger is vastly more difficult to learn- we do not allow single-action firing of revolvers except in the most extreme, disabled, cases, as single-action firing is so counter to self-defense needs as to constitute a bad habit.
At the very end of the semi-auto scale, the Ruger SR-22 is a last-ditch solution for a low-power, low-effort semi (although I personally do not care for it).  It's cheap and reliable and, if the user can somehow be educated as to the operation of the decocker, relatively safe for low-round-count shooters.

My apologies for the extended and possibly annoying lecture.

Winter may change to summer, but the silly season goes on and on...

#7 ChicagoRonin70

• 3,309 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 02:46 AM

That is GREATLY appreciated! I placed an order with them just a few minutes ago!

Thanks very much!

Gb1XExdm.jpg

#8 357

• 1,046 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 01:51 PM

TSS Warehouse has the Taurus 992SS4 for 475.63 new with free shipping and no credit card fees.https://tsswarehouse...aurus-2-992049/

That is GREATLY appreciated! I placed an order with them just a few minutes ago!

Thanks very much!

You're welcome. I bought a pistol from them and they're good to go.
James Madison

Edmund Burke

George Orwell

Benjamin Franklin

#9 ChicagoRonin70

• 3,309 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:54 PM

Thanks very much!

You're welcome. I bought a pistol from them and they're good to go.

Picked mine up last week from Shore Galleries after having it shipped there. Hassle free and fantastic buying experience!

I owe you a box of ammunition for the recommendation!

Gb1XExdm.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Taurus, 992, .22 WMR, .22 LR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users