Get a Permit from another state threads

Chris

Went to FL and then to PA and my FL permit gives me WA,NM,KS,IA,NE,AL and OH that a PA permit does not.

PA is good in IA...IA honors everybody. :P

I sorta remembered that being said a few months ago when IA joined the Union. It has not been updated yet on the PA site yet or I missed it somewhere.

Went to FL and then to PA and my FL permit gives me WA,NM,KS,IA,NE,AL and OH that a PA permit does not.

PA is good in IA...IA honors everybody. :P

I sorta remembered that being said a few months ago when IA joined the Union. It has not been updated yet on the PA site yet or I missed it somewhere.

I've relayed the info to the PA AG several times over the last couple months. I think they got tired of hearing from me as they no longer respond. B)

• 3 weeks later...
Hello, I sent my app and check in march 15 and just called the centre county pa sheriffs office today,,,,4-1 and a "Very" nice lady I spoke with on the ph confirmed they had processed it yesterday,, 3-31. She said it was mailed this morn 4-1 ,,,and I should prob get it monday 4-4. they are doing them in the order they are recieved,so as long as you got it in before today you should be ok... she was very nice on the ph. :woohoo:

• 1 month later...

Getting an out of state permit that has reciprocity with other states sounds good; however there is a Federal Law which seems to trump state law. I am referring to the "Gun Free Zone Act of 1995". It states that an out of state issued permit would not be exempt from this act which would effectively render that permit useless except for the state it was issued in. For an explanation of this I included these links: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/74/Batfe2002letter_gfsza1995_ccw.pdf

Unless I see something that currently changes this scenario I would not pursue an out of state CCW permit.

God Bless Sheriff Nau, to those in Illinois he is Pa version of Az's Arpiao. He follows the US Constitution much closer then many of states. It also brings money into his county and saves the citizens money. If more locals and states acted like he does many things would be better. I am sure he is not a popular guy in Pa.

Getting an out of state permit that has reciprocity with other states sounds good; however there is a Federal Law which seems to trump state law. I am referring to the "Gun Free Zone Act of 1995". It states that an out of state issued permit would not be exempt from this act which would effectively render that permit useless except for the state it was issued in. For an explanation of this I included these links: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/74/Batfe2002letter_gfsza1995_ccw.pdf

Unless I see something that currently changes this scenario I would not pursue an out of state CCW permit.

Primary purpose of the bill you are referencing makes it illegal to have a weapon in areas such as schools, polling places, etc. Your out of state CCW license is only good in those states that accept it through reciprocity and there are several websites including each states website that will tell you if/where your out of state CCW license is accepted. Most states accept any other states CCW through reciprocity while some don't accept the license unless you are a resident of the state the license is issued and some don't accept any out of state license.

I'd get an out of state permit, but the places I travel to frequently that allow it only accept it from the residents of the issuing state.

So Michigan is off the list, and Indiana is strict on non-residents as well. At least according to this list:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf

I'd get an out of state permit, but the places I travel to frequently that allow it only accept it from the residents of the issuing state.

So Michigan is off the list, and Indiana is strict on non-residents as well. At least according to this list:

yes IN is strict on issuing a non-resident permit. If you are a non resident, you have to work or own a business in IN in order to get an Indiana permit . But they Honor ALL state issued carry permits doesn't matter if it was resident or no resident.

yes IN is strict on issuing a non-resident permit. If you are a non resident, you have to work or own a business in IN in order to get an Indiana permit . But they Honor ALL state issued carry permits doesn't matter if it was resident or no resident.

Well this is all well and good, but I don't spend much time there. Michigan is where I spend my summer, and Michigan will only accept the permit IF you live in the state you have that permit in.

It wont do me any good. :hug:

I think my point was missed. It does not matter what the states accept or don't accept. Federal Law overrides the state law. Please read the links I provided in my prior post. Another very good thread is the following. http://www.usacarry.com/forums/politics/7837-concealed-carry-reciprocity-currently-banned-under-federal-law-important.html

What it boils down to is this; let's say you have your Utah carry permit and live in Illinois. You decide to take a trip to visit in Indiana. So far so good. However, even though Indiana will be o.k. with your permit, if you happen to get an LEO who wants to be an &$$@@## about it, you could be in deep trouble. That's because when you travel anywhere outside of the state of issue according to FEDERAL LAW, if you are within 1000 feet of a school zone, you are in violation and the penalties are stiff. There's no way around it for now unless the gun is unloaded and stored. The links provided, especially from BATF, clearly states that there are so many school zones everywhere, that it would be a sure thing to be in violation and essentially make the out of state permit useless. Remember, Federal Law says you are good to go only in the state of issue.

I think the most practical solution to this mess would be to have multiple permits for the states you travel through, if those states will issue a nonresident permit. Example: Illinois resident gets Indiana permit and has permit when carrying in Indiana, so on and so forth. I believe that's the safest way to go at this time. Peace

I think my point was missed. It does not matter what the states accept or don't accept. Federal Law overrides the state law. Please read the links I provided in my prior post. Another very good thread is the following. http://www.usacarry.com/forums/politics/7837-concealed-carry-reciprocity-currently-banned-under-federal-law-important.html

What it boils down to is this; let's say you have your Utah carry permit and live in Illinois. You decide to take a trip to visit in Indiana. So far so good. However, even though Indiana will be o.k. with your permit, if you happen to get an LEO who wants to be an &$$@@## about it, you could be in deep trouble. That's because when you travel anywhere outside of the state of issue according to FEDERAL LAW, if you are within 1000 feet of a school zone, you are in violation and the penalties are stiff. There's no way around it for now unless the gun is unloaded and stored. The links provided, especially from BATF, clearly states that there are so many school zones everywhere, that it would be a sure thing to be in violation and essentially make the out of state permit useless. Remember, Federal Law says you are good to go only in the state of issue.

I think the most practical solution to this mess would be to have multiple permits for the states you travel through, if those states will issue a nonresident permit. Example: Illinois resident gets Indiana permit and has permit when carrying in Indiana, so on and so forth. I believe that's the safest way to go at this time. Peace

thats been the law for 16 years, has anyone been prosecuted under it? i havent heard of anything myself

Interesting twist on denying out-of-state permit holders the same rights afforded to in-state permit holders. The logic supporting that law escapes me. We have a lot more onerous laws to get off the books before that one gets to the top of the pile.

its part of the gun free zones act of 1995

im not sure its necessarily the intent of the law, but just how the wording ended up, you cant have a gun within 1000 feet of a school zone without a permit issued by the state (as opposed to a permit honored by the state)

as i said, i dont know of anyone who has been prosecuted under that clause and its been on the books for 16 years

This can all be very confusing and overwhelming, do I get a Utah, FL, PA, AZ, IN license or get them all (too expensive to do this)? I live in Springfield and do most of my travel to MO, IN, KY, TN, AL, GA, FL with some in the midwest. Which one/two should I get and where do you get it?

When I lived in IN, KY and TN I had my permit in each state (from mid 90's to 2001). Went through firearm training in KY, looking for my certificate. Don't know if it is still good or should I go through taining again? I do have my FOID card for IL (big deal I know).

What to do?

• 2 weeks later...

This can all be very confusing and overwhelming, do I get a Utah, FL, PA, AZ, IN license or get them all (too expensive to do this)? I live in Springfield and do most of my travel to MO, IN, KY, TN, AL, GA, FL with some in the midwest. Which one/two should I get and where do you get it?

When I lived in IN, KY and TN I had my permit in each state (from mid 90's to 2001). Went through firearm training in KY, looking for my certificate. Don't know if it is still good or should I go through taining again? I do have my FOID card for IL (big deal I know).

What to do?

Since you travel to FL, you would need FL.

CO, FL, ME, MI, NH and SC only honor resident permits (of the states they honor). FL will cover you in those you listed above.

FL Reciprocity

• 1 year later...
Question for anyone out there. I had a PA permit from Centre Co that expired. I am from the St Louis metro east area and at the Belleville Shooting Range they are pushing the FL permit. With class and cost of permit it will be 300 bucks and two month wait. I am considering driving to PA instead to save money and time. What is the closest PA county that will issue NR permits? I am looking at possibly Wesmorland Co. BTW I want the permit to carry in MO, TN, KY and IN only, those are the only states I visit.

Archived