Fingerprints for all FOID card holders proposed

bfreeman

Looks like Kathleen Willis has to much time on her hands. Not a bill yet but she is proposing that all FOID card applicants and holders submit fingerprints to exercise you 2nd ammendment rights. This could cost Illinois residents almost a quarter billion dollars to do this. This is getting totally out of control.

https://www.isra.org/News/TabId/1068/ArtMID/4612/ArticleID/37156/ISRA-Thursday-Bulletin-February-21-2019.aspx

The editorial board of the Northwest Herald (Crystal Lake) also made this suggestion in the paper today

https://www.nwherald.com/2019/02/18/our-view-its-time-to-do-more-to-protect-each-other/aj6mnb0/

"There is more that we can do. Although we support the right of people to bear arms, it is not unreasonable to put more safeguards in place to prevent people who should not possess deadly weapons from legally obtaining them. Better enforcement and reasonable enhancement of gun laws should be a priority in Illinois.

There are a couple of proposals, which could have prevented the shooter from legally owning a gun, that make sense. One would require people who apply for a FOID card to submit fingerprints, to be checked against the FBI database, to prove they are not felons. Another would increase the fee to obtain a Firearm Owners Identification card, currently at $10, in order to devote more resources to background checks and maintaining the registration system."

Although Willis has not filed a bill yet, this was already filed.

HB3104 Jennifer Gong-Gershowitz (D)

FIREARMS-FINGERPRINTING 02/15/2019

http://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=3104&GAID=15&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=119485&SessionID=108&GA=101

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Provides that 180 days after the effective date of the amendatory Act, an applicant for the issuance or renewal of a Firearm Owner's Identification Card shall include a full set of his or her fingerprints in electronic format to the Department of State Police for the purpose of identity verification, unless the applicant has previously provided a full set of his or her fingerprints to the Department under the Act or the Firearm Concealed Carry Act. Provides that the fingerprints must be transmitted through a live scan fingerprint vendor licensed by the Department of Financial and Professional Regulation or a criminal justice agency authorized by the Department to submit fingerprints. Provides that the fingerprints shall be checked against the fingerprint records now and hereafter filed in the Department and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal history records databases, including all available state and local criminal history record information files, including records of juvenile adjudications. Provides that the Department shall charge applicants a fee for conducting the criminal history record check, which shall be deposited in the State Police Services Fund and shall not exceed the actual cost of the State and national criminal history record check. Amends the Firearm Concealed Carry Act. Provides that an applicant for renewal need not resubmit a full set of fingerprints if the applicant has previously done so under the Act or the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act.

There are a couple of proposals, which could have prevented the shooter from legally owning a gun, that make sense. One would require people who apply for a FOID card to submit fingerprints, to be checked against the FBI database, to prove they are not felons.

Another would increase the fee to obtain a Firearm Owners Identification card, currently at $10, in order to devote more resources to background checks and maintaining the registration system."

So how do the 40+ or so states that don't have a FOID, FID or require gun permits, do it?

This guy should have been caught by the already required background check and on his NICS check when he bought the gun. But she is turning a system failure into a an infringement on everyone else. What an idiot?

Wait an easy way to further disarm less financially privileged minorities (purpose of gun control really)

... and J.B. is all about helping out the minorities and underprivileged...

I think before anyone can hold a state public office we need background checks and fingerprinting of everyone in state government - from the governor on down.

You can't be a member of the LE community without submitting to those requirements and they enforce the law.

Certainly the ones who make the law should have to comply.

Sounds to me like I'm glad I popped for the prints when I first got my Illinois CCW. Didn't need new ones for the recent renewal, and likely won't any time in the future.

My prints have been on file somewhere since '71 when I got drafted into the Army. Had to get them done for my Utah CCW many moons ago too. I guess I've never really had a negative opinion of the process.

I view the FOID system as yet another Illinois boondoggle - but since the NICS system obviously has gaping holes, if prints to get a firearm became more than a proposal, I doubt I'd march in the streets in protest. I 100% disapprove of criminals and the insane being able to buy a gun from an FFL.

Sounds to me like I'm glad I popped for the prints when I first got my Illinois CCW. Didn't need new ones for the recent renewal, and likely won't any time in the future.

My prints have been on file somewhere since '71 when I got drafted into the Army. Had to get them done for my Utah CCW many moons ago too. I guess I've never really had a negative opinion of the process.

I view the FOID system as yet another Illinois boondoggle - but since the NICS system obviously has gaping holes, if prints to get a firearm became more than a proposal, I doubt I'd march in the streets in protest. I 100% disapprove of criminals and the insane being able to buy a gun from an FFL.

Makes a good case for everyone to get a CCL now.......

Follow the money. WHO makes money if they force everyone to get fingerprints done? AND of course they will have to be some special kind that only a few can do. Like mentioned before, I have been fingerprinted since 1979 for the military and held a "Q" clearance with the Department of Energy for 30 years. What more do they want???????

Minorities which need it most and poor which they claim to help can't afford another $350 for CCL and 8 hour class. Actions speak louder than words.

Minorities which need it most and poor which they claim to help can't afford another $350 for CCL and 8 hour class. Actions speak louder than words.

It should be free, or at most the cost of the plastic and the postage

I had to do prints for Utah also . However , $10.00 for ink and paper prints is a lot easier to swallow than $ 60.00 for prints this state requires. That's the reason I didn't do prints when I first applied for my FCCL and won't submit prints when I renew.

As others have said this will be a hinderance to to the poorer class of people.

So the price for a FOID card goes up $100. $60 for printing and ~$40 ISP charge for running the prints.

That might be a good thing in the long run. Having to pay for our rights is unconstitutional. This might help to ultimately delete the FOID. Of course not by our trusty politicians but by a judge.
I think every restoration of our 2A rights on this tyrannical state will be because of SCOTUS rulings. It won't happen because of Democratic politicians. They want to destroy Illinois, just as they want to destroy the USA.

Gun control has deep roots in racism. The party that claims to support the oppresses minorities is the party that is really kicking them to the curb.

Archived