Out of state ccl eligibility.

mjw45

Has the ISP added Indiana to the list of substantially similar states lately and I missed it?

Was just asked a question about this, again.

Supposedly someone is doing an IL CCW class for Indiana residents and telling them that Illinois now accepts IN.

I have dealt with this for years, instructors telling students that Indiana residents qualify for an IL CCW.

Even had prospective students get mad at me when I tell them not to waste their money.

I know the answer, just want to double check before I call bs on this.

I would love to be wrong.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Not sure how up to date the ISP website is but they only have Arkansas, Mississippi, Texas and Virginia. on the list.

Didn't Hawaii used to be on there as well ? What happened ?

Hawaii, South Carolina, and New Mexico were removed earlier this year (in Feb). Their laws didn't change, but those states responded differently to the ISP's survey and the ISP decided to remove them from the substantially similar list.

Indiana should do an "enhanced" license like Idaho and a few other states have. A lot of Hoosiers get Florida or Utah permits to get better coverage, since their regular permit doesn't meet the "picky" states' requirements. A properly crafted "enhanced" permit could meet the requirements of all those picky states, including Illinois, just as Idaho's did for their neighboring Washington and Nevada.

I have a feeling that should Indiana do that, that we'd see reform in Illinois. It's very clear that ISP and the state in general does NOT want to deal with issuing licenses to non-residents.

At this point I don't hold out much hope for a federal reciprocity law. Nor do I have any faith in the courts at this point to enforce firearms civil rights.

Archived