Any hikers out there? Question regarding water purification

Camar10

I plan on hiking the Shawnee and surrounding areas this spring and was curious about water purification. What is your preference on cleaning your drinking water. Boiling? Water pills? or Some type of filter?

I believe i will do both the tabs and Filter but was just curious what some more experienced folks do?

I use a Sawyer Squeeze for my water filter. It works as a squeeze filter, inline filter and gravity filter and is easy to backflush/clean. I also carry purification tablets my first aid kit as a just in case. Each purification technique has their pros and cons. Filters clog and need to be back flushed or cleaned, tablets take time to work and water needs to be measured, boiling takes time and water needs to cool after.

I have one of the lifestraw bottles. I will usually remove the filter and fill it with clean water before I head out from camp. Then I can put the filter back on and fill it up when I find a water source while hiking. And I also keep a supply of the tablets with me that I will use in a 5 gallon collapsible water bag that I use at campsites that dont have potable water.

Here is a link to the bottle. I think I paid around $30 for it.

https://www.lifestraw.com/products/lifestraw-go

My problem is I believe in everything in 3's, 3 ways to make fire, 3 ways for water, etc,etc.. I always over think everything and by reading the responses it looks like I am on track with what I have. Damn, now I need to shave some weight somewhere else. To the bag I go... Thanks everyone, if you have any other suggestions please leave a response, I always consider others suggestions.

I happen to pickup a lifestraw bottle at Wally world the other day in the clearance isle for $7.00 and it changed my thinking on water purification, which lead to other things I thought I was doing right and I questioned what else could I do to pack lighter is why I started this post. I always thought boiling was the best answer (stubborn I am) but I see there are other options. Thanks all

All comes down to how much water you want to purify and how fast.

Chemical treatment takes time micro pure is good. But takes a while to be effective. So tou have to wait.

Filters like katadyn are able to do large quantities and water is ready when done. But filters take more space and weigh a lot more than chemical.

Avoid the iodu e treatment it tastes nasty.

I hike a lot. And backpack 3-4 times a year and i go with katadyn hiker filter and nagaleen hard bottles and platypus soft bottles and i carry a clorine based chemical treatment in case filter goes down. But i am out up to 4 days at a time.

i noticed the lifestraw is only 2 micron filter so for sure replacing that option with a 1 micron filter, i believe i am going with the Sawyer Mini, i really like the other options everyone has given me but for the price I can get one now i cant pass it up. As much as i tried last night, i cannot get my pack lighter than 23 lbs, well im sure i could but i would have to sacrifice some redundancy which i am not comfortable with. Heaviest item in my pack is my Marine Bowie but it stays no matter what.

Archived