City of Joliet Passes Resolution - 6 Month Moratorium on New Gun Stores

civilone

Doing "something".

You know...I think every law should have a stated effect...and if it can be proven that the effect has not been attained within 5 years, the law should automatically be repealed. For instance, if a law is passed in Joliet to stop new gun dealers for six months, they should have to give a reason and a desired outcome...such as a projected reduction in gun crimes.

firearms dealers

Does this apply to someone who wishes to become an FFL if all they're planning to do is handle transfers and not sell guns?

People here who have FFLs can answer definitively, but I don't think the city can stop someone from getting an FFL.

This resolution is a 6-month zoning ordinance that prohibits new gun shops.

According to the Patch article, previously the only ordinance that regulated the location of a gun shop said it had to be in a "business-3" commercial zone.

Apparently existing gun shops can stay open.

Joliet could be setting itself up for its own Ezell suit.

firearms dealers

Does this apply to someone who wishes to become an FFL if all they're planning to do is handle transfers and not sell guns?

People here who have FFLs can answer definitively, but I don't think the city can stop someone from getting an FFL.

This resolution is a 6-month zoning ordinance that prohibits new gun shops.

According to the Patch article, previously the only ordinance that regulated the location of a gun shop said it had to be in a "business-3" commercial zone.

Apparently existing gun shops can stay open.

Joliet could be setting itself up for its own Ezell suit.

I went through the zoning challenge when I got my FFL. They will just make a new zoning law and no one will be able to meet the new standards.

Archived