George Zimmerman sues Buttigieg and Warren for tweets on Trayvon Martin

Euler

Miami Herald

George Zimmerman is suing presidential candidates Pete Buttigieg and Elizabeth Warren, saying they maliciously connected him to "white supremacy" and "racism" in the death of Trayvon Martin.

Trayvon would have turned 25 on Feb. 5, and on that day Buttigieg and Warren used his birthday to tweet condolences and a call to action to end racism, gun violence and white supremacy.

Buttigieg tweeted: "Trayvon Martin would have been 25 today. How many 25th birthdays have been stolen from us by white supremacy, gun violence, prejudice, and fear? #BlackLivesMatter"

Warren tweeted: "My heart goes out to @SybrinaFulton and Trayvon's family and friends. He should still be with us today. We need to end gun violence and racism. And we need to build a world where all of our children - especially young Black boys - can grow up safe and free."

Zimmerman alleges that Buttigieg's use of "white supremacy, gun violence, prejudice, and fear" were referencing him and that his 1.71 million Twitter followers would make the connection between him and Buttigieg's claims.

As for Warren, the suit alleges that in her tweet she claimed that Trayvon is not "with us" due to "racism," which makes the connection to her 3.72 million followers that Zimmerman killed Trayvon in an act of racism.

Zimmerman is still walking around breathing fresh air?

When a judge says you're not guilty that usually is the outcome.

ETA: I've heard people say the same thing about OJ Simpson. They are generally labeled as a racist.

Hes had a bit of a hard life post shooting, lol. I think thats what tbrooks was referring to. I wouldnt be surprised to see the headlines where he an heros himself

ETA: I've heard people say the same thing about OJ Simpson. They are generally labeled as a racist.

Hes had a bit of a hard life post shooting, lol. I think thats what tbrooks was referring to. I wouldnt be surprised to see the headlines where he an heros himself

My point exactly. When you beat a case like that, you go away....

I wouldn't call anyone racist who said the same about OJ. He's a pos just like Zimmie.

I wouldn't call anyone racist who said the same about OJ. He's a pos just like Zimmie.

My apologies for misunderstanding. I read it that breathing fresh air meant he was still alive. I’d agree that both folks mentioned should ride off into sunset and stay out of a public eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trayvon Martin would still be alive today if he had gone on home instead of circling back and attacking Zimmerman from behind. He also was on top of Zimmerman , pounding his head into the sidewalk when he got shot.

I don't feel sorry for Zimmerman at any point after the trial though. I agree he should quietly fade into the woodwork..

The courts ruled the shooting legitimate self-defense, although Buttigieg and Warren are playing it for racism.

Also, young black men are mostly shot by other young black men, not by white supremacists.

Also (and often overlooked), George Zimmerman isn't white.

Don't forget, Zimmerman was described as a "white Hispanic".

He has a valid point. That said, he has little chance to win said law suits/ It's hard enough to prove they made statements of fact instead of opinion, without them actually naming him by name in the tweets. That is if he is going on Defamation.

A defamation suit would have to show that his reputation suffered as a result of the comments. I don't think there are too many Warren and Buttigeig supporters who think very highly of Zimmerman. There's also the argument that he's not a public figure.

We live in an overly litigious society, and the only people who benefit from these sorts of frivolous suits are the lawyers involved.

This is a case of snowflakism as I see it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived