Retailers requiring FOID from FCCL holders

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 Bubbacs

#Fear The Clown

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:16 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I've been experimenting with presenting my CCW instead of my FOID card largely due to reasons already mentioned in that I don't like having all my eggs in one basket that I could (god forbid) potentially misplace or lose. Additionally, I just like carrying around less stuff.

Locally I typically only buy ammo from Wal-Mart, and I've yet to be to a Wal-Mart that took my CCW and instead insisted on seeing my FOID card. I'm curious if anyone has had the opposite experience. I don't think they're trained at all, when I tried to argue with one of them about it they just told me, "Look the cash register is asking for your FOID card."

Welp.

Ah, the old raiseing of the dead thread..........
IF, and this may be the problem, if you are actually presenting your CCW " Carry Conceal Weapon" instead of your CCL " Carry Conceal License" or FOID, that may be your issue!
If pulling your CCW and either pointing it at them or simply handing it to them, would more than likely result in a denial of service OR a huge free batch of ammo from the kid behind the counter!

And on a side note, while I'm here, this pony hasn't been beaten to death on these forums, but it does have no head anymore........

Edited by Bubbacs, 11 June 2016 - 08:17 PM.

#32 Silverlobo

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:21 PM

Just bought ammo today at the Gander Mountain in Springfield and only showed my CCL. We also spent about an hour at the gun counter and my CCL was fine there as well.

#33 sirflyguy

• Members
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:30 PM

Just had a dealer tell me the law only applied to ammo buying with an FCCL and that I had to have a FOID for a gun. Sheesh.

United States Concealed Carry Association Certified Firearms Instructor

Defensive Firearms Coach (DFC) 

Fundamentals of Home Defense Handgun

Fundamentals of Concealed Carry
NRA-Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA-Certified Personal Protection In the Home Instructor
NRA-Certified Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor 
NRA-Certified Chief Range Safety Officer

IL FCCA Approved Instructor
http://www.mlftraining.com
https://www.facebook...ps/mlftraining/

#34 papa

• Members
  • 5,913 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:18 PM

Just had a dealer tell me the law only applied to ammo buying with an FCCL and that I had to have a FOID for a gun. Sheesh.

Was that somewhere near you? I bought my XDs and Ruger LCP II from Dunn's with my carry license Last fall.

#35 sirflyguy

• Members
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:27 PM

Was that somewhere near you? I bought my XDs and Ruger LCP II from Dunn's with my carry license Last fall.

An individual FFL.  He back-pedaled from the statement when I got there.

United States Concealed Carry Association Certified Firearms Instructor

Defensive Firearms Coach (DFC) 

Fundamentals of Home Defense Handgun

Fundamentals of Concealed Carry
NRA-Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA-Certified Personal Protection In the Home Instructor
NRA-Certified Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor 
NRA-Certified Chief Range Safety Officer

IL FCCA Approved Instructor
http://www.mlftraining.com
https://www.facebook...ps/mlftraining/

#36 il.bill

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 08:44 AM

This just came up for the very first time a couple of days ago - I had to tell the customer that I needed the FOID Card to run the background check since that was the last information I had received from the BATFE and the ISP-FTIP folks.

I then searched and found this thread, but the ILCS link still meant I had several minutes of searching the fine print to find the relevant section.  Here it is - hope this saves someone some time going forward:

(430 ILCS 65/3) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-3)
    Sec. 3. (a) Except as provided in Section 3a, no person may knowingly transfer, or cause to be transferred, any firearm, firearm ammunition, stun gun, or taser to any person within this State unless the transferee with whom he deals displays either: (1) a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card which has previously been issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act; or (2) a currently valid license to carry a concealed firearm which has previously been issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act. In addition, all firearm, stun gun, and taser transfers by federally licensed firearm dealers are subject to Section 3.1.

Edited by il.bill, 24 December 2017 - 08:44 AM.

#37 Richrude

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:29 PM

Slightly off topic was in Cabela's today, guy was buying a 1911. Salesman told him his FOID was no good not enough digits in the number needed to use his FCCL.

#38 ddan

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:40 PM

Maxon requires FOID or CCL for gun/ammo purchase
https://maxonshooter...gun-in-illinois

#39 korgs130

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:37 AM

I’ve been presenting my IL CCW card in lieu of my FOID for ammo & firearms purchased without issue for the past couple of years. Yesterday I stopped by a Rural King to purchase ammo (I’ve bought ammo here dozens of times only showing my CCW card) and the gentleman at the counter informed me that he need to see my FOID. He said that two IL State Police officers paid the store a visit last week to inform them that the IL CCW ID is not valid proof of FOID (because out of state residents can get a IL CCW permit), and that all ammo & firearms purchases require a FOID be shown. Anyone have more details on if this is actually the case?

#40 Glock23

I am no one.

• 4,119 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:28 PM

Iâve been presenting my IL CCW card in lieu of my FOID for ammo & firearms purchased without issue for the past couple of years. Yesterday I stopped by a Rural King to purchase ammo (Iâve bought ammo here dozens of times only showing my CCW card) and the gentleman at the counter informed me that he need to see my FOID. He said that two IL State Police officers paid the store a visit last week to inform them that the IL CCW ID is not valid proof of FOID (because out of state residents can get a IL CCW permit), and that all ammo & firearms purchases require a FOID be shown. Anyone have more details on if this is actually the case?

If they are out of state residents with a non-resident IL CCL, they don't need a FOID card to purchase guns or ammo in Illinois.

If the troopers actually said that, they're wrong.

Edited by Glock23, 06 June 2018 - 01:28 PM.

** Illinois Carry - Supporting Member

** National Association for Gun Rights - Frontline Defender

** Illinois State Rifle Association - 3 year Member

** National Rifle Association - Patron Life Member

#41 kwc

• 3,403 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:43 PM

Exactly!

Furthermore, how absurd is it they would be so concerned about any of the 57 nonresident IL CCL holders (all from VA or TX) buying ammo in Illinois...
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Galations 6:9 (NIV)

"If you can't explain it to a six-year old, you don't understand it yourself." - Albert Einstein (paraphrased)

#42 Euler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:50 PM

Furthermore, how absurd is it they would be so concerned about any of the 57 nonresident IL CCL holders (all from VA or TX) buying ammo in Illinois...

Maybe the ISP is worried that Illinois FFLs will export "gun violence" to the rest of the nation through out-of-state CCLs operating a "lead pipeline."

Or maybe the salesperson had a personal agenda and made up an excuse.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
- Albert Camus, Resistance, Rebellion, and Death, 1960.

#43 Gamma

• Members
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:12 PM

Just another example of why we need someone competent and respectful of firearms rights in charge of ISP-FSB.

Illinois' FCCA is a prime example of the maxim that sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

#44 Hap

• 1,871 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:30 AM

I’ve been presenting my IL CCW card in lieu of my FOID for ammo & firearms purchased without issue for the past couple of years. Yesterday I stopped by a Rural King to purchase ammo (I’ve bought ammo here dozens of times only showing my CCW card) and the gentleman at the counter informed me that he need to see my FOID. He said that two IL State Police officers paid the store a visit last week to inform them that the IL CCW ID is not valid proof of FOID (because out of state residents can get a IL CCW permit), and that all ammo & firearms purchases require a FOID be shown. Anyone have more details on if this is actually the case?

Was the employee the person who actually spoke with the officers? Does he or whoever spoke with them get any contact information for the officers? Did the officers leave anything in writing concerning this unilateral effort by the ISP to rewrite IL law?

Ad utrumque paratus

#45 korgs130

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:00 AM

Was the employee the person who actually spoke with the officers? Does he or whoever spoke with them get any contact information for the officers? Did the officers leave anything in writing concerning this unilateral effort by the ISP to rewrite IL law?

I got the impression that he wasn’t the one there at the time and I have no idea about contact information left. He did say that the ISP left a sign that was taped to the gun counter explaining that CCW holders need to present their FOID. The employee was there when another customer saw the sign, called B.S. on the ISP shenanigans, promptly removed the sign and tore it up!

#46 Hap

• 1,871 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:48 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if a phone call to the store manager yields a somewhat different story from the one you've gotten so far.

Ad utrumque paratus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users