Concealed Carry in municipal park on public road?

Vern in IL

Prohibited areas:

(12) Any public playground.

(13) Any public park, athletic area, or athletic facility under the control of a municipality or park district, provided nothing in this Section shall prohibit a licensee from carrying a concealed firearm while on a trail or bikeway if only a portion of the trail or bikeway includes a public park.

So many people go for a walk in the park on the public road going through the park, never leaving the road. Are public roads through a municipal park safe for Concealed Carry?

It depends if the road is really a public road or if it's a park road that all members of the public can use.

If the road is under the control of the park, then it's a park road. If the road exists outside the park, but happens to go through the park at some point, continuing on the other side outside the park, then it's a public road.

I ride my bike on a park district, asphalt path almost every day during the riding season. The path begins off of a public street and empties into a public street. As far as I know, it is just a "pass through" and I am completely legal to carry.

This is correct, as long as you're 'passing through' it's legal to carry.

post-22202-0-12867200-1611375263_thumb.jpg

Hmm, all the roads in the park ARE IN THE PARK, however, THE PARK DOES NOT MAINTAIN THE ROADS, they are maintained by "public works" and mail delivery occurs in the park.

The park does have two entry/exits and the main entrance does have a open gate that says "Charlie Brown Park" it was locked during COVID....

I'm hesitant to conceal since the roads do not extend outside the park, and I would have to park outside the park and there is really no pass though, that is unless I intend to walk along a narrow highway on the other side...

Going to rock some Pepper Spray instead.

post-22202-0-20151800-1611375904_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifCBPmap.jpg

Hmm, all the roads in the park ARE IN THE PARK, however, THE PARK DOES NOT MAINTAIN THE ROADS, they are maintained by "public works" and mail delivery occurs in the park.

The park does have two entry/exits and the main entrance does have a open gate that says "Charlie Brown Park" it was locked during COVID....

I'm hesitant to conceal since the roads do not extend outside the park, and I would have to park outside the park and there is really no pass though, that is unless I intend to walk along a narrow highway on the other side...

Those roads and sidewalks are public right of ways unless they are marked “Authorized Persons Only” or similar notifications. One, or both, of these clauses apply.

(13) Any public park, athletic area, or athletic facility under the control of a municipality or park district, provided nothing in this Section shall prohibit a licensee from carrying a concealed firearm while on a trail or bikeway if only a portion of the trail or bikeway includes a public park.

23( c ) A licensee shall not be in violation of this Section while he or she is traveling along a public right of way that touches or crosses any of the premises under subsection (a), (a-5), or (a-10) of this Section if the concealed firearm is carried on his or her person in accordance with the provisions of this Act or is being transported in a vehicle by the licensee in accordance with all other applicable provisions of law.

https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/AboutTheAct.aspx

I am guessing that you are new to CC since this is your first time posting. Welcome to Illinois Carry.

This question was discussed a lot here when CC started. A lot of us seemed to feel that if we made the tiniest infraction, a cop would appear out of nowhere and arrest us.

The number of licensees who have been arrested for violating the FCCA is very small. Usually you are asked to leave the area.

I see it as similar to traffic enforcement. You are not going to be cited for being one mph over the limit or your bumper being 6" over the line at a stop sign or traffic light.

Just keep your gun concealed and relax. You are not going to be arrested for having one foot on the grass or your shirt rising a little.

attachicon.gifCBPmap.jpg

I've been in that Park and the roads are not contained just to the park. You can enter from old 50 and leave on Hemlock Ln. You're good to go. You also have the parking lot exemption. If you are really concerned call the Clay Co sheriff's office and ask them. They sponsored a Sheepdog Seminar at the Church just west of the park. They are cc friendly. From experience "beer is a no no" however.

Archived