Possible lawyer needed for SWB in Chicago

Jerze2387

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657&ChapterID=39

(430 ILCS 65/13.1) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-13.1) Sec. 13.1. Preemption.

( :cool: Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this Section, the regulation, licensing, possession, and registration of handguns and ammunition for a handgun, and the transportation of any firearm and ammunition by a holder of a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card issued by the Department of State Police

thank you. Thats the one I gave him and he got hung up on the handgun thing. Hes planning to tell them to break them down to a non functioning state which im a bit hesitant about, as they could accidentally break them or could render them useless based on his leeway hes giving them. Plus he seems to think thats going to be a huge roadblock.

Not really sure what he is getting hung up on. There are two statements bolded above. The first in blue pertains to the regulation, licensing, possession, and registration of handguns. The second pertains specifically pertains to the transportation of firearms (NOT just handguns).

Not sure this will help now but Article 2 gun range has storage lockers for the poor souls that live in Chicago and Cook County to store their guns if they can't at home. From what they told me it is not illegal to own these guns just to posses them in Chicago and Cook County.

(630) 627-0310
article.ii@gunworldrange.com
250 Cortland Ave Lombard, IL 60148
I would let it go if it was me. I am sure you were aware that it was illegal to keep these guns in Chicago. I live in suburban Cook County and I don't own any of these banned firearms as I don't want to pay the price of losing them. Your money is better spent joining and supporting organizations fighting these unconstitutional laws.
The CDP may have done you a favor in stating in the paperwork you turned them in. They could have charged you with possession of illegal firearms and you could have lost all your gun rights.

Not sure this will help now but Article 2 gun range has storage lockers for the poor souls that live in Chicago and Cook County to store their guns if they can't at home. From what they told me it is not illegal to own these guns just to posses them in Chicago and Cook County.

(630) 627-0310
article.ii@gunworldrange.com
250 Cortland Ave Lombard, IL 60148
I would let it go if it was me. I am sure you were aware that it was illegal to keep these guns in Chicago. I live in suburban Cook County and I don't own any of these banned firearms as I don't want to pay the price of losing them. Your money is better spent joining and supporting organizations fighting these unconstitutional laws.
The CDP may have done you a favor in stating in the paperwork you turned them in. They could have charged you with possession of illegal firearms and you could have lost all your gun rights.

I am going to store them at article II when theyre returned.

And i am aware they did me the favor, but it was also the officers who encouraged me to pursue getting them back. They have also agreed that they will not try to come back and charge me for pursuing the return of them as well. Given how much its ended up costing me (currently the equal of the value of the items, and likely will exceed when all is said and done), from that standpoint I'd say my best bet would have been to let it go from the beginning. But at this point I'm so far in, I cant walk away from all that I've spent. i had to start driving for uber to cover the legal fees

That said, the supporting organizations I have contacted havent really helped, so it didnt give me much faith in joining them. Im doing the best i can with the tools i have at my disposal here

35 years ago the cops took my pistol due to charges that were dropped. I couldn't get it back until my wife called and ask what paperwork they needed. She told them her brother worked for the cook county state's attorney's office. They called back a few hours latter and said pick it up anytime. I would recommend you contact your alderman. Sometimes a call to the right person can get things done right away.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

i had to start driving for uber to cover the legal fees

Driving for uber pay ok?

It does actually. I'm averaging about $16/hr ($20-25 on weekends. Which is why I wasn't at chucks) after gas expenses. Which, for a part time gig in the current job market, is considerably better than a warehouse position at $10/hr.

Problem is lawyer charges $150 an hour lol so it's hard to catch up

35 years ago the cops took my pistol due to charges that were dropped. I couldn't get it back until my wife called and ask what paperwork they needed. She told them her brother worked for the cook county state's attorney's office. They called back a few hours latter and said pick it up anytime. I would recommend you contact your alderman. Sometimes a call to the right person can get things done right away.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

Thanks. And I would try my alderman but he's actually an anti from what I've seen of his comments on "everyblock" site, so that may not work for me

That said, the supporting organizations I have contacted havent really helped, so it didnt give me much faith in joining them. Im doing the best i can with the tools i have at my disposal here

You continue to mention that the NRA and ISRA refused to help, though you freely admit you are not a member of either.

You live in one of the more gun "unfriendly" states, in one of the more gun "unfriendly" areas of that state. The fact that you are able to enjoy the freedom of owning those guns (just not where you stored them) is largely a result of organizations like these, and should be reason enough to contribute and/or join.

Consider this scenario...

You drive (illegally) without car insurance, because you're a safe driver, and you don't feel that you need it. One day, one of your tires blows out, causing you to careen out of your lane and crash into a pole, totalling your car. Not really anyone's fault... just one of those things...

So you call State Farm, Allstate, Geico, etc. to see if they can help you out. Each replies "Sorry, you don't have a policy with our company. There's nothing we can do."

$0.02

You continue to mention that the NRA and ISRA refused to help, though you freely admit you are not a member of either.

You live in one of the more gun "unfriendly" states, in one of the more gun "unfriendly" areas of that state. The fact that you are able to enjoy the freedom of owning those guns (just not where you stored them) is largely a result of organizations like these, and should be reason enough to contribute and/or join.

You drive (illegally) without car insurance, because you're a safe driver, and you don't feel that you need it. One day, one of your tires blows out, causing you to careen out of your lane and crash into a pole, totalling your car. Not really anyone's fault... just one of those things...

So you call State Farm, Allstate, Geico, etc. to see if they can help you out. Each replies "Sorry, you don't have a policy with our company. There's nothing we can do."

$0.02

my .02, is organizations that say they champion for the little guy from an idealogical and moral rights standpoint shouldnt have to be financially motivated. Kind of goes against the whole "were here to help the little guy" part. Goes more into the "itd be a shame if this place burned down because we didnt get our monthly payment.." kind of idealogy. More literally, "you didnt pay? youre screwed then".

And what I find funny, and this doesnt go for everybody, as there have been a couple people who offered helpful information and such, off the top i can think of Mr. Fife with the recordings and POAT 54 with the statute i was looking for, Transplant in PM's and such, GVW with the article 2 info, and a couple others i may have forgotten specifically (sorry), but the NRA, ISRA, and others who have criticized my not doonating and saying thats why i wont get help sure would want to get the example from my case to use for future cases. But, by their logic, they didnt contribute, so why should i give them the benefit from being able to follow the example and path? see the logic? we can be willing to help each other or play tit for tat. I have been very open and forthcoming about the whole process, the details, etc so it would help others in similar situations. I didnt need to come here and do that. Nobody paid me to. And for the most part every bit of progress ive made has come AWAY from the forum. BUT i keep coming back to update and help others WITHOUT requiring financial gain. THATS the spirit i thought this whole thing was about. now, some guys here do appear to be that way, and i have respect for those guys and appreciate it. i see us as being in a community on the same side, a brotherhood in arms so to speak, based on a common goal which isnt financially motivated. this whole thing opened my eyes and made me look at the whole thing differently. Seems money is a very big driving force behind the progress, not the principles. In a way, the curtain was pulled back and showed me the wizard and itll be hard for me to see those organizations as "champions for gun rights" as much as champions for the ideas of those who can afford to sponsor and essentially hire them to further the ideas of the contributors".

Basically, i thought these organizations put principles over dollars, and apparently I was wrong.

$0.02

my .02, is organizations that say they champion for the little guy from an idealogical and moral rights standpoint shouldnt have to be financially motivated. Kind of goes against the whole "were here to help the little guy" part. Goes more into the "itd be a shame if this place burned down because we didnt get our monthly payment.." kind of idealogy. More literally, "you didnt pay? youre screwed then".

And what I find funny, and this doesnt go for everybody, as there have been a couple people who offered helpful information and such, off the top i can think of Mr. Fife with the recordings and POAT 54 with the statute i was looking for, Transplant in PM's and such, GVW with the article 2 info, and a couple others i may have forgotten specifically (sorry), but the NRA, ISRA, and others who have criticized my not doonating and saying thats why i wont get help sure would want to get the example from my case to use for future cases. But, by their logic, they didnt contribute, so why should i give them the benefit from being able to follow the example and path? see the logic? we can be willing to help each other or play tit for tat. I have been very open and forthcoming about the whole process, the details, etc so it would help others in similar situations. I didnt need to come here and do that. Nobody paid me to. And for the most part every bit of progress ive made has come AWAY from the forum. BUT i keep coming back to update and help others WITHOUT requiring financial gain. THATS the spirit i thought this whole thing was about. now, some guys here do appear to be that way, and i have respect for those guys and appreciate it. i see us as being in a community on the same side, a brotherhood in arms so to speak, based on a common goal which isnt financially motivated. this whole thing opened my eyes and made me look at the whole thing differently. Seems money is a very big driving force behind the progress, not the principles. In a way, the curtain was pulled back and showed me the wizard and itll be hard for me to see those organizations as "champions for gun rights" as much as champions for the ideas of those who can afford to sponsor and essentially hire them to further the ideas of the contributors".

Basically, i thought these organizations put principles over dollars, and apparently I was wrong.

comparing them to a protection racket is a poor choice since the NRA dues are yearly not monthly and refusing to join the NRA does not result in the NRA burning down your property. Also if you have a Sams Club membership instead of renewing it opt to pay the cheaper NRA dues. If not for the dues the NRA would not have been able to fight for are rights. Even if they wanted to help they would have been told that they did not have standing to fight on your behalf since you are not a member of the NRA.

The NRA, ISRA, etc. have spent countless hours and plenty of their finances to advance the 2A for EVERY citizen, including YOU Jerze.

You have gotten their efforts to fight for concealed carry, the abolishment of the Chicago handgun ban, the Chicago handgun registry and you haven't given them a DIME.

Now you come to them and ask for help with YOUR case and ask for assistance that will only benefit YOU for FREE. See the problem yet?

After receiving the blanket assistance from these organizations through their efforts to secure and advance your 2A rights, you expect them to spend more of their money to help you and only you.

They shouldn't be financially motivated? Your "thank yous" don't keep the organization running or pay for the money they spend in filing court orders and/or paperwork to fight cases in court.

So either pay for a membership or move along. You're sounding like an entitled child.

Orginazations like the NRA, ISRA, etc. must choose their battles carefully and choose ones that will advance their causes.

Sorry, but in your case you chose to ignore existing ordnances and then voluntarily showed local LEO you were blatantly ignoring said ordnances. Your case simply isn't one that is realistically of interest in furthering the cause of those organizations. ESPECIALLY for a non-member. Fighting the ordnances, perhaps, but of your own admission you aren't really wanting to take them on - you just want your stuff back -- the stuff that you foolishly showed them so they could take in the first place.

I feel for you, but to denigrate those organizations for not helping you out of a situation that was of your making is wrong.

Archived