IL, SB711, Legalize Switchblade Knives for CCL Holders

OldMarineVet

Knife Rights is working with Tim Bevins on SB 711 which would legalize switchblade (automatic knives) for CCL holders. Currently IL completely restricts switchblades from possession, manufacturing, and purchase. I think if the switchblade is approved for IL CCL holders, it could permit ALL KNIVES for IL CCL holders, without restriction. Great news. Let's overwhelm our IL state senators on this one.

The 2nd Amendment describes our right to bear arms. This includes knives (even though many people carry them as tools.) So please contact your IL senator even if you don't plan to carry a knife. It will strengthen our IL 2A rights.

I'm a member of Knife Rights. Here's their website if you are interested in other things they are working on. You'll notice some overlap with gun issues such as the use of ivory. NRA works closely with Knife Rights to strengthen the 2A. Please help. Thank you

http://www.kniferights.org/

BTW, I consider the need for knife rights ironic. We used to carry Cub Scout jackknives in grade school anytime we wore the uniform... and Boy Scout jackknives after that. And we'd carry them in the school since we'd use that auditorium once a month for our Pack meetings. We were taught safety, whittled things, used knife as tool as needed.... Good old days

================================================================

Illinois Bill Would Allow Switchblades with CCW License

Illinois State Senator Tim Bevins has introduced legislation, SB 711, that would legalize switchblade (automatic) knives for anyone who holds an Illinois concealed carry license, as well as for peace officers. It includes legalization to manufacture and sell to these individuals.

Given the long-standing prohibitionist environment in Illinois where weapons bans have been the legislature's solution to every crime problem, Knife Rights believes that this bill is an incremental step in the right direction.

Illinois currently has a complete ban on switchblade (automatic) knives, including manufacture and possession by anyone. Illinois was the last state to allow concealed carry of firearms, in 2013, and remains one of the most restrictive states in terms of Second Amendment rights.

Knife Rights has been successful in six states in repealing bans on specific types of knives, including allowing possession and carry of automatic (switchblade) knives by all citizens without restriction.

If you live or work in Illinois, we encourage you to write or call your state senator and politely ask them to support SB 711. Click here to locate your Senator.

what's much more important is to get rid of the 3" knife rule in illinois and the 2.5" knife limit in chicago. seriosuly. 3" and 2.5". jsut had a guy go to jail because he was found with a 3" knife in his coat by CPD. insane

There is no 3 inch rule in illinois but various municipalities do. So I Agree this would be great and eliminate all the confusion that the laws currently cause.

Below is where the 3" law comes from in IL law (2 1/2 " is Chicago) But you'd have to be using the dangerous knife "with intent to use it unlawfully against another"

I doubt you can buy a switchblade with a blade smaller than 3". I'm hoping legalizing switchblades encompasses all their lengths for other knives and eventually removes all knife restrictions for CCL holders. I think the reason Knife Rights goes after switchblades is because they can boiler-plate successes in other states. FYI, Wisconsin just removed all knife restrictions for CCL holders.

------------------------------------------------------

(720 ILCS 5/24-1) (from Ch. 38, par. 24-1)

Sec. 24-1. Unlawful Use of Weapons.

(a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:

(1) Sells, manufactures, purchases, possesses or

carries any bludgeon, black-jack, slung-shot, sand-club, sand-bag, metal knuckles or other knuckle weapon regardless of its composition, throwing star, or any knife, commonly referred to as a switchblade knife, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife, or a ballistic knife, which is a device that propels a knifelike blade as a projectile by means of a coil spring, elastic material or compressed gas; or

(2) Carries or possesses with intent to use the same

unlawfully against another, a dagger, dirk, billy, dangerous knife, razor, stiletto, broken bottle or other piece of glass, stun gun or taser or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character; or

-------------------------------------------------------------------

© Definitions.

(1) "Armed with a dangerous weapon". A person is

considered armed with a dangerous weapon for purposes of this Article, when he or she carries on or about his or her person or is otherwise armed with a Category I, Category II, or Category III weapon.

(2) A Category I weapon is a handgun, sawed-off

shotgun, sawed-off rifle, any other firearm small enough to be concealed upon the person, semiautomatic firearm, or machine gun. A Category II weapon is any other rifle, shotgun, spring gun, other firearm, stun gun or taser as defined in paragraph (a) of Section 24-1 of this Code, knife with a blade of at least 3 inches in length, dagger, dirk, switchblade knife, stiletto, axe, hatchet, or other deadly or dangerous weapon or instrument of like character. As used in this subsection ( "semiautomatic firearm" means a repeating firearm that utilizes a portion of the energy of a firing cartridge to extract the fired cartridge case and chamber the next round and that requires a separate pull of the trigger to fire each cartridge.

(3) A Category III weapon is a bludgeon, black-jack,

slungshot, sand-bag, sand-club, metal knuckles, billy, or other dangerous weapon of like character.

Right that's my point. You can carry any length blade in Illinois there is no law in illinois against carrying a knife blade greater than 3 inches. Just don't commit any crimes with it. Like I said the laws are very confusing and there are a lot of misconceptions. Hopefully this bill passes.

There is no 3 inch rule in illinois but various municipalities do. So I Agree this would be great and eliminate all the confusion that the laws currently cause.

Below is where the 3" law comes from in IL law (2 1/2 " is Chicago) But you'd have to be using the dangerous knife "with intent to use it unlawfully against another"

I doubt you can buy a switchblade with a blade smaller than 3". I'm hoping legalizing switchblades encompasses all their lengths for other knives and eventually removes all knife restrictions for CCL holders. I think the reason Knife Rights goes after switchblades is because they can boiler-plate successes in other states. FYI, Wisconsin just removed all knife restrictions for CCL holders.

carries any bludgeon, black-jack, slung-shot, sand-club, sand-bag, metal knuckles or other knuckle weapon regardless of its composition, throwing star, or any knife, commonly referred to as a switchblade knife, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife, or a ballistic knife, which is a device that propels a knifelike blade as a projectile by means of a coil spring, elastic material or compressed gas; or

unlawfully against another, a dagger, dirk, billy, dangerous knife, razor, stiletto, broken bottle or other piece of glass, stun gun or taser or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character; or

© Definitions.

considered armed with a dangerous weapon for purposes of this Article, when he or she carries on or about his or her person or is otherwise armed with a Category I, Category II, or Category III weapon.

shotgun, sawed-off rifle, any other firearm small enough to be concealed upon the person, semiautomatic firearm, or machine gun. A Category II weapon is any other rifle, shotgun, spring gun, other firearm, stun gun or taser as defined in paragraph (a) of Section 24-1 of this Code, knife with a blade of at least 3 inches in length, dagger, dirk, switchblade knife, stiletto, axe, hatchet, or other deadly or dangerous weapon or instrument of like character. As used in this subsection ( "semiautomatic firearm" means a repeating firearm that utilizes a portion of the energy of a firing cartridge to extract the fired cartridge case and chamber the next round and that requires a separate pull of the trigger to fire each cartridge.

slungshot, sand-bag, sand-club, metal knuckles, billy, or other dangerous weapon of like character.

This would be a welcome legislative change. I carry a rescue knife with a seat belt cutter and glass breaker on it, because I've actually been trapped in crashed cars as well as have had to pull people from wrecked vehicles, and that's an indispensable tool. Not to mention, so is a good, functional knife. Additionally, a knife is a useful and effective self-protection weapon, and should be allowed to CCL holders just like a firearm is, to provide another option for preventing one from being a crime victim.

I see several comments above that seem to convey the belief that this would make knives other than switchblades legal for some purpose in some fashion. It does not appear to, in my reading anyway. It allows, very specifically, an FCCA licensee to possess/carry a stun gun, taser, and a switchblade knife in accordance with the FCCA. It does not appear to allow for anything other than those mentioned, and does not contain language that would allow a licensee to carry a 5" fixed blade (just an example) in Chicago.

I'm not saying it's a bad bill, but it doesn't give us all that much. And it only serves 9x, xxx or so licensees.

Indiana legalized automatic knives. I was just looking at a benchmade auto today at cabelas in hammond. It was to expensive for me but was nice. I find myself in situations at work where I need a knife but I only have 1 hand free. I can currently operate my folding knife with 1 hand but having an auto would make that task easier and safer, especially when I'm up a ladder.

the whole point of unlawful use of weapons is the umbrella law of possession, especially in Crook County they could if they wanted to chase for a felony charge

Right that's my point. You can carry any length blade in Illinois there is no law in illinois against carrying a knife blade greater than 3 inches. Just don't commit any crimes with it. Like I said the laws are very confusing and there are a lot of misconceptions. Hopefully this bill passes.

© Definitions.

SB711 is amending the FCCA which would be preempted automatically and wouldn't need a supermajority since its already law

To work for Chicago, they would have to add knives to the preemption - and it would need a super majority.

Roady was speaking to home rule units' ability to regulate all other knives, since this would only cover switchblades for FCCA licensees.

Indiana legalized automatic knives. I was just looking at a benchmade auto today at cabelas in hammond. It was to expensive for me but was nice. I find myself in situations at work where I need a knife but I only have 1 hand free. I can currently operate my folding knife with 1 hand but having an auto would make that task easier and safer, especially when I'm up a ladder.

I had the same problem needing to get a knife out with one hand, so I bought a butterfly knife. Works great for one handed use. Takes a little practice, but it didn't take long to get the hang of it.

indiana wont sell you a automatic knife if you live in Il.

indiana wont sell you a automatic knife if you live in Il.

Someone I know from illinois bought a cheaper automatic made by smith and Wesson. They didn't ask about residency. in fact they almost never ask about a FOID when ammo is purchased.

This request would be very far down my list of changes. I'm almost against it with concerns that it be granted and become law as a compromise instead of other issues higher in to be honest my own personal priority of wants... we will know its about to happen when the knife lobby ramps up.

Interesting thought. Personally, I don't prioritize my needs once bills are submitted. I'm thinking the more different cases we can include under the 2nd Amendment, the right to bear ARMS, the stronger it becomes. Might even give lawyers more "bricks" to cobble to establish precedents. I press representatives to support "hunting" bills even though I don't hunt and don't plan to hunt. I'm pressing representatives to oppose "ivory restrictions" for both guns and knives even though I don't have ivory handles and don't care about ivory handles.

As said above, SB711 allows "very specifically, an FCCA licensee to possess/carry a stun gun, taser, and a switchblade knife in accordance with the FCCA." But SB711 might set useful precedents for other freedoms to bear arms(like removing all knife restrictions for CCL holders.) Gun grabbers tend to take our gun rights away one piece at a time. Not a bad way to increase our gun rights into new ground, one piece at a time. Thank you

I'm a little hesitant to tie knife rights to the FCCA.

Although this could, in theory, expand legal knife ownership, it could just as easily set a dangerous precedent. If you begin requiring an FCCL to own a switchblade, what would stop a future amendment from requiring one to carry other types of knives?

For some of us a knife is one of the few personal defense options available.

I'm a little hesitant to tie knife rights to the FCCA. Although this could, in theory, expand legal knife ownership, it could just as easily set a dangerous precedent. If you begin requiring an FCCL to own a switchblade, what would stop a future amendment from requiring one to carry other types of knives? For some of us a knife is one of the few personal defense options available.

Good point. It may seem discriminatory at the start. Here's my thoughts:

1) While IL knife laws appear good on the surface the basis of "no illegal intent" makes me happy I've not been searched (I'm probably more likely to be searched now as a CCL holder) So I'm not sure how much current IL knife laws are really protecting current knife carriers. Chances of improvement of current IL knife laws on their own seem very low to me.

2) I'm guessing the logic of "we trust them carrying a loaded gun but not a switchblade knife" will carry some weight with SB711. We'll see soon. If it does, it might not be hard for Bivins and Knife Rights to remove all knife restrictions for CCL holders.

3) The lack of knife crime by law abiding citizens might justify unrestricted knife rights for non-CCL holders.

4) A cleaner way might be gathering the rights to bear all ARMS in FCCA, using logic "we trust them carrying a loaded gun but not an X?" Then make FCCA basis for "Constitutional Carry" for all arms.

I think full auto should be legal. I think switchblades should be legal. I think silencers should be legal. Having these things would be fun, but really wouldn't change my life.

The average person, including many 2A supporters and CCL supporters, think these things are extreme and think we are nuts for pushing for such things.

I think our time would be better spent, and we would have a much better perception in the public eye, if we would stick to fixing the current law to do things like reducing the number of posted locations and working towards national reciprocity.

Archived