Archdiocese of Chicago

cola490

If pierogies with sauteed onions, bacon, and sour cream along with a bowl of borscht is blasphemous then anti-gun stickers on church doors are the least of my concerns.
It's blasphemous to call varenyky perogies.

You're after my own heart, much like all the saturated fat consumed when eating varenyky.

Pierogies being the more common vernacular I didn't want to confuse the non-Ukies.

I don't care if you call them perogies or varenyky, but they sure sound wonderful. Where do they serve such a thing? Reco a good place in the area please - I gotta scratch this itch!

Dumplings stuffed with either meat, potatoes, sauerkraut, cheese, or even dessert style stuffed with fruit. Savory ones topped with melted butter, sour cream, bacon, and fried onions, fruit filled topped with sweetened sour cream, fruit compote, or other delightful sweetness. Perfect comfort food.

The ones my grandmother makes have spoiled me, but if you're in the Ukrainian Village neighborhood in Chicago you won't go wrong. In the loop there's a little place near my office called Pierogi Heaven at Wells and Lake which helps scratch the itch when I get a craving at lunch. Also, most grocery stores will have them in the freezer section. As a tip, fry some bacon to crumble, but leave the grease in the pan. Throw some butter on the bacon grease after it cools so you don't get instant splatter and then use that to saute them. Regardless though, the best ones are made by grandmothers who have been making them by hand for decades, my grandmother's being the best of course.

I don't care if you call them perogies or varenyky, but they sure sound wonderful. Where do they serve such a thing? Reco a good place in the area please - I gotta scratch this itch!

5411 W. Montrose. Fry them up in a little butter when you get home. The caramelized onions are already on them. Get some galabki(already made and sold hot) to go with it.

http://www.montrosedeli.com/?v=32aec8db952d

http://www.montrosedeli.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Montrose_Header.jpg

Told my son (30) about this gun ban and explained how stupid it is to ban gals and guys like me who have undergone basic training at the highest required level in the country, daily electronic background checks, and in most cases lots of additional training and practice, only to be banned (because only we will obey it) in favor of bad guys and/or whackos out to kill people. Why can't these idiots not figure out that bad guys really (yes REALLY!) do not care about gun control.

Anyway, my son went severe evangelical Christian last year, and all he had to say is that maybe this is God's will. Ok, maybe. I told him that maybe God was sending us a message with Newtown, San Bernardino, Orlando, and (because it was a church) especially Charleston. His response: Yeah the message was --- wait for it --- there are too many guns out there.

How are we to progress as a society when this kind of upside-down thinking is out there in huge, and in some locales, predominant, numbers?

The only thing good about getting old (65) is that I'm not young and having to grow up in this messed up society that our kids are going to experience. Oh, just that, and the $20 Trillion. But nobody seems to get too worked up about that either.

Rant over.

Dumplings stuffed with either meat, potatoes, sauerkraut, cheese, or even dessert style stuffed with fruit. Savory ones topped with melted butter, sour cream, bacon, and fried onions, fruit filled topped with sweetened sour cream, fruit compote, or other delightful sweetness. Perfect comfort food.

The ones my grandmother makes have spoiled me, but if you're in the Ukrainian Village neighborhood in Chicago you won't go wrong. In the loop there's a little place near my office called Pierogi Heaven at Wells and Lake which helps scratch the itch when I get a craving at lunch. Also, most grocery stores will have them in the freezer section. As a tip, fry some bacon to crumble, but leave the grease in the pan. Throw some butter on the bacon grease after it cools so you don't get instant splatter and then use that to saute them. Regardless though, the best ones are made by grandmothers who have been making them by hand for decades, my grandmother's being the best of course.

5411 W. Montrose. Fry them up in a little butter when you get home. The caramelized onions are already on them. Get some galabki(already made and sold hot) to go with it.

http://www.montrosedeli.com/?v=32aec8db952d

Thanks Haz and Jim. I'll have to save those for the next time I'm in the area!

Just Google best varenyky or pierogi in Chicago. There's no shortage of places making that claim.

That's the problem - Everyone self-proclaims they are the best at what they make.

His response: Yeah the message was --- wait for it --- there are too many guns out there.

While I realize it's likely to fall on deaf ears, you could always quote the applicable portion of the Catechism, combined with the 30+ cases since South v Maryland that place the burden for our protection squarely on our own shoulders.

My Parish is under the Archdiocese of Chicago but I don't know if they owned/controlled it. No sign on the door so I'm good and will continue to attend the mass and contribute. I admit I'm not the biggest donor for my church but I believe my parish is one of the biggest donor for the archdiocese and have a lot of generous parishioners. My monthly pledges goes straight to the archdiocese so I may stop that one.

I'm guessing this only applies to the Parishes within the City of Chicago.

Archived