CCL Revoked Because FOID Expired

Molly B.

If your CCL was revoked because your FOID expired, do NOT file an appeal. The ISP will send a Request for REVIEW in the mail. As soon as you have submitted your FOID renewal application, fill out the Request for CCL Review and mail to the ISP.

If your CCL application was denied, or your CCL revoked or suspended due to expired FOID, use the following checklist and submit this form:

CCL Appeal Requirements/Checklist

CCL Request for Administrative Review

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was in the process of moving and my FOID expired. Renewed FOID in November of 2018 and wasn't reinstated until 3/21/19. Submitted a CCL appeal several times since 11/2018, before and after FOID was reinstated and I'm still waiting. Finally got through to a real person at (217) 782-7263 ("ISP Front Desk"). They said they would submit again at the end of the day. They also said that the time I've waited so far is "about right", and stated "Don't miss the call if you get a call from ISP". Great news...

I was in the process of moving and my FOID expired. Renewed FOID in November of 2018 and wasn't reinstated until 3/21/19. Submitted a CCL appeal several times since 11/2018, before and after FOID was reinstated and I'm still waiting. Finally got through to a real person at (217) 782-7263 ("ISP Front Desk"). They said they would submit again at the end of the day. They also said that the time I've waited so far is "about right", and stated "Don't miss the call if you get a call from ISP". Great news...

I would suggest not waiting on the appeal. I suggest you submit the Request for Review form.

I ended up faxing the form and wrote a brief summary on the cover page of what had transpired up to this point. I included my e-mail address and phone number for them to reach me in case I was missing anything. I got an email the very next day stating that I needed to send in my revoked CCL for the process to proceed. At no time up to this point did anything state that I needed to send it in. I mailed it off the same day. Will update once I get a response.

• 2 weeks later...

So I already filed an appeal 6 months ago. Did I hurt myself by doing that? Should I still fill out this form?

This form was not available 6 mos. ago. It would be great if you submit this form and see if it helps expedite the process. Please keep us posted!

I submitted this form last week and I'll keep everyone updated here if I hear anything - thanks!

I wish this post was up in May. Been waiting for my appeal since May, 12th. That office down there has to be a trainwreck, when I first got my CCL back 2 years ago they had lost my application for 4 months, once someone on the phone spent 5 minutes looking it was approved the next day. Can't even call anymore. Half the options on the phone just redirect you back to the automated main menu, and when you request a human operator, at all hours of the day its a recording of high call volume and to call back later. Then it automatically hangs up. Wisconsin is looking so much better now.

Thanks for the form. I sent an online appeal for my CCW / FOID back in May 2018. FOID was issued in a couple months, CCW still reads "Appeal under review" to this day. I've never been able to get anyone on the phone. I received an email response on May 30th of this year saying they were going to look into it, which hasn't gone anywhere.

I faxed and mailed a copy of the appeal form listed here last week. With how long it has been, I'm not sure if my CCW would have already expired. Does anyone know if I still would be able to take the renewal class, or if they're going to want me to take the whole 16 hour class over again? This has been ridiculous, I really hate this state!

• 2 weeks later...

An update of sorts: I called 217-782-6637 and asked about who to talk to about my CCL. I was placed on a callback waiting list of "2-3 weeks". I am to expect a phone call at any time of day from a blocked phone number.

Why would you block the number?

I think he means the call coming from ISP is an unknown number blocked on their side showing no caller information.

I think he means the call coming from ISP is an unknown number blocked on their side showing no caller information.

Correct.

Does the ISP hide its ID from caller ID? When my local PD sends out robocalls about traffic or other situations, its ID shows on my phone.

Can you add the ISP number to your recognized list?

Well I guess that he could temporarily turn off the blocking function on his phone, and be sure to answer calls from the 217 area code (if the ISP only uses that area code).

He is not blocking it, ISP does when making the call. He wont see the area code. Just something like anonymous or private caller.

So I just got my call back already. A woman told me that had I just renewed my FOID, I would have received my CCL automatically? But "unfortunately", clicking that button on the website started an appeals process which cannot be undone, and there is absolutely no time frame because of understaffing. It could take years.

Did anyone else hear anything like this?!

• 3 weeks later...

I just celebrated my one year anniversary of submitting the appeal online (9/20/18). I submitted this new form a little over a month ago and not a peep from ISP or change in "appeal under review" status. The only thing I heard from them was several months ago, I got a voicemail stating that there was no timeframe for the appeal process.

yup...

I just celebrated my one year anniversary of submitting the appeal online (9/20/18). I submitted this new form a little over a month ago and not a peep from ISP or change in "appeal under review" status. The only thing I heard from them was several months ago, I got a voicemail stating that there was no timeframe for the appeal process.

yup...

So, serious question, at what point do we need to take legal action? The federal courts forced Illinois to create a CCL law because not having one was deemed a violation of our constitutional rights. Certainly our rights are being violated by interminable administrative actions like this? They can't simply be allowed to hold up an appeal for years and years.

My CCL was finally renewed on 07/25 so I applied for FOID renewal on 07/29 (probably day after receiving CCL in mail). As of today, it is still under review. The expiration date of my FOID is 10/01.

I printed a copy of the FOID payment receipt. Will that serve same as a card (like CCL receipt) while waiting on receipt / final approval of actual thing?

I’ve reached out to my local representative, partly to ask for assistance and partly to offer mine. While legal action sounds enticing (fight the man!), it’s too time consuming and expensive for a working guy who just wants to take care of his family. Hopefully there is something I can do that will help move the needle in the right direction.

I get that I failed to perform a simple task of updating a document. That was my mistake and I’ll own it. I just want to know that my efforts to correct that mistake actually mean something and can help others.

Archived