Buying at an Illinois Gunshow

Bud

There are two gunshows coming up that i have decided to attend. I have very limited experience at Illinois gun shows or actually, any gun shows. There is one nexy weekend at Princeton and then the following weekend at peoria.

When/if you want to buy a firearm at a gunshow, how are the Illinois waiting periods handled?

I went to the Princeton show a couple of years ago and started to buy a Marlin lever action and when I asked about the waiting period, the seller (who had a table) got quite belligerent about my question and refused to sell to me.

For several years now, non-dealers making sales at gun shows must make a special FTIP call, and the buyer and seller are still forced to observe a gun-sales-punitive-period.

Thus, I doubt that very few private party transactions are actually officially made at gun shows.

For the dealers, they are under the same restraints as before, and the punitive period is still there.

For several years now, non-dealers making sales at gun shows must make a special FTIP call, and the buyer and seller are still forced to observe a gun-sales-punitive-period.

Thus, I doubt that very few private party transactions are actually officially made at gun shows.

For the dealers, they are under the same restraints as before, and the punitive period is still there.

[/u

If it's a multiple day show, and you're buying a long gun, you can just go back the next day and pick it up. OK if you're local, not if it's a 100 mile trip. For handguns or for last day purchases, there's usually some provision for the firearms to be made available at that location for pickup after waiting periods have been satified.

Still inconvenient as all get out and needs to be fixed. Right after RTC and state wide pre-emption.

And yes, that applies to private sales too.

AB

]

The reason I was asking (because I know the waiting period pertain to all sales) was because this idiot really got pi$$ed. He started shouting and pointing at me telling everyone I was a smarta$$ and I was probably ATF. My b\uddy got really steamed and started after the seller so I dragged him out and we left.

The reason I was asking (because I know the waiting period pertain to all sales) was because this idiot really got pi$$ed. He started shouting and pointing at me telling everyone I was a smarta$$ and I was probably ATF. My b\uddy got really steamed and started after the seller so I dragged him out and we left.

You were wise not to deal with the hothead.

You were wise not to deal with the hothead.

I believe that it's state law in IL that the gun show organizers must provide a NICS call in system for private sales. Lots of times some of the vendors don't have FFL, but are selling a few privately owned guns in conjunction with other goods. Lots of folks don't realize that the waiting period applies to private sales so maybe the guy was using belligerence to cover up his ignorance. Anyway, yeah, good call on walking away.

AB

I bought a rifle at the Princeton show roughly twenty five years ago. The seller said he was from southern Illinois and that I could pickup the rifle the next day at a friend of his that lived in Princeton, just a few blocks from the grounds. That's how the deal was carried out.

I have a friend from here in Southern Illinois who bought a rifle at a gun show in Southeast Missouri and had to come back the next day to pick it up. I guess if he was from Missouri he could have taken it that day. Is that correct.

Yep. Them Missourians are just much more trustworthy than us Illinoisians!!

Sucks don't it?? As another thread says, we live on a different planet.

That is why I drag my buddy that has his FFL to all gun shows and auctions. If i find something I like from a dealer outside an area I want to travel to to pick it up, He buys it with my cash , takes it home that day. Writes me up calls me in, and in 3 days either drops it off at my house on his way to work, or I pick it up at his on my way home. The only other thing I can recomend if you don't have a FFL dealer to take with you, is get an ID holder that clips to your shirt and insert your FOID into it and clip it on your shirt. It sucks pulling out you wallet and pulling your FOID everytime you want to handles something.

Archived