Sanctuary Counties 2.0

Tvandermyde

Sanctuary Counties 2.0

Some time ago 2A activists around the state began a campaign of urging county boards to pass resolutions and make themselves “sanctuary counties” where they would not abide by gun laws that violate the Second Amendment.

Gun guys likened it to the sanctuary counties/cities for illegal immigrants; if they could flaunt the federal laws, then why should our local government follow the laws these liberals put down on our rights?

Rep. Willis introduced a resolution last fall denouncing these scofflaw counties and how dare they flaunt the law and it’s not their ability to pick and choose which laws they will follow saying:

“WHEREAS, These so-called "gun sanctuary counties" are nothing more than scofflaw counties, usurping the judiciary and role of separation of powers in our government, while openly encouraging criminal behavior; therefore, be it…”

A lot of people and counties received lots of attention for this to the point that over 30 counties in Illinois say they will not follow unconstitutional laws when it comes to the Second Amendment. Not a bad start for an uncoordinated attempt to send a message to the higher ups in state government and Chicago.

Since then a few things have happened. One is Representative Willis' resolution. Her stomping of her feet that those little people in the counties would not abide by her superior judgement and knowledge of what we need. Oh, her condemnation surely rattled us to our marrow.

Second was the election that literally swept away the republican party in Illinois. Democrats now hold super majorities in both chambers, and not with a great number of downstate democrats.

Third is an anti-gun governor who in the first week signed a new draconian bill to run gun dealers out of business.

Fourth, the filing of just the few anti-gun bills we have seen so far starting with SB-107 – one of the most broad semi-auto bans we have ever seen.

Fifth, look at the Mayor of Pittsburgh, where despite a state law saying they can't pass a semi-auto ban in their city, he has said I don't care. Arrest me. So where they mock us for using the term law abiding gun owners, and then taunt us when we tell them we will not comply and follow their rights infringing statist attitude -- you are no longer the good law abiding gun owner. Yet at the same time, they can flout court rulings, precedence, advisories from local prosecutors thinking they are Rosa Parks when in fact they are channeling their inner Bull Connor.

Now the State feels they can buck the federal government again and legalize pot, thumbing their nose at federal drug laws. Again, the liberals seem to feel its ok for them to pick and choose the laws they want to follow at differing levels of government, but should counties and gun owners do the same, that is verboten.

So what is Sanctuary Counties 2.0 (SC2.0)? It is taking the original premise to the next step to show the statist gun grabbers at the capitol that the counties and elected officials will not comply. It no longer is just the individual gun owners saying we will not comply, but now local elected officials and their governmental entities are saying it too -- and going beyond the mere resolutions that were passed.

So, if the Mayor of Pittsburgh can flaunt the law and constitution, if the City of Chicago can ignore state law on carry, guns and preemption, then it’s time we do the same. They set the rules, they set the tone and two can play by that game. Here is where we need to start:

1. Your Sheriff is the highest locally elected law enforcement officer. It is now time to start meeting with them, explaining all these types of bills and laws he will be asked to enforce with his deputies and get his commitment not to.

2. A resolution from the County Board directing the Sheriff not to enforce any of these laws if passed. Now I know the Sheriff is a separately independently elected official who is accountable to the people and not necessarily the Board on this but, they can make their feelings well known. After all, does he have the jail space for everyone? Remember that if 10% of FOID card holders don't comply, they have to find space for potential 250,000 people in jail or Dept. of Corrections.

3. An amendment to the County Budget when passed this year preventing any use of funds for the enforcement of any of these laws passed.

4. Start the same process with the States Attorney. Again, he is a separately duly elected official in an independent office, but if the SA won't charge, there is no reason for the Sheriff or local law enforcement to arrest.

Oh sure the antis are going to wet their pants. They will introduce more resolutions denouncing the actions of these rebel gun owners and counties. They may hold press conferences and stamp their feet. But the difference is this fight is going to be that you now have local units of government telling the State we will not comply, we will not enforce in a manner more symbolic than just the first set of resolutions.

Beyond that, talk to your local city or town council. Do they have the manpower to enforce this? And they too can join the voices and chorus telling the County Board they will not be supporting or enforcing these new laws. The more Chiefs and Mayors that sign on the better.

The more resolutions forwarded to the leaders of the General Assembly the better. All four leaders need to be put on notice that this is what they are doing, they are fracturing our state over a feel good pieces of legislation that trample of the rights of gun owners, ranges, clubs and lawful business'. The anti-gunners have moved from just being anti-gun to trying to destroy a way of life or a culture. Remember last year when they wanted to prevent minors from being able to participate in the shooting sports? That was some “safety” piece of legislation that was aimed at keeping kids out of the shooting sports. No new kids, the shooting sports die on the vine. Hence no new shooters growing up doing this things their dads did.

The hypocrisy runs deep with the anti-gunners this year. They want to tell us that we must suffer all the intrusions they can dream up just to exercise our right to own a firearms for lawful purposes, yet they don't do that when handing out driver licenses to illegals.

We need to have an ID just to own a gun but you don't need one to vote.

They can restrict our ability to travel with a firearm, but gang bangers can't be stopped and frisked.

Gang-bangers and felons carry guns in “gun free zones”, but we are prohibited by law from doing so after getting 16 hours of training and a carry license.

The message from our County Boards, Sheriffs, States Attorneys, Mayors and Chiefs denouncing these pieces of legislation and infringements on our rights needs to be loud and clear;

We will not do this to our residents,

We will not do this to our neighbors;

We will not do this to the people we go to church with;

We will not do this to the people we invite over for beers and BBQ;

We will not do this to the coaches of our kids’ sports teams;

We will not register our firearms;

We will not turn them in;

We will not surrender our free speech and be muffled;

We will not enforce your BS laws;

We will not comply.

That is the message that needs to ring loud and clear in the halls -- that other levels of government are willing to rebel, that if the anti-gunners can flaunt the law -- to pick and choose the rights and things they will enforce, so can those of us not under the thumb of the Chicago Democratic Machine still have a voice.

Will be working on a draft set of resolutions for people to be taking to their County Boards. But session calls and the anti-gunners have been a bit busy. More later.

You guys are starting to scare me into thinking SB107 is going to pass.

They have 74 in the House and 40 in the Senate. They own the Governor's office. Those are not encouraging numbers.

That is assuming it goes along party lines; I still can't see such a draconian bill flying with down state dems. Not to say something is not coming.

Regardless and I would recommend this to everyone, purge your social media of any pictures commemorating firearms and magazines that have since been lost in tragic boating accidents.

I spent the last 3 days going back to the olden days of my space to delete anything/everything that could be probable cause.

Amen, about time. Preach Todd. Democrats create lawlessness and show by example and defy and resist and openly call for resistance to the president of the United States and Republicans every day and pick and choose the laws they want to obey. Democrats ignore and disobey laws every day without consequences.

Bloomberg's unconstitutional laws passed through corruption are null and void and we are not fooled and will do as the Democrats do. They have gotten greedy and taken it too far and create laws with lies and propaganda and ignore the Constitution and the oath they have taken by punishing millions of law abiding people and confiscating and making their legally bought property which is protected by the Constitution illegal for the actions of one criminal.

Democrats ignore the Constitution by passing illegal ex post facto laws and thumb their nose at the courts and ignore the ATF by making up their own definition of what is an assault weapon. The lawlessness by Democrats needs to end and are opening Pandora's box and will create more lawlessness and will be to blame. Enough is enough. Bloomberg is not king to take our rights away and to impose his will on us. Courts need to step in, we have Constitutional rights which are not for sale. Not my governor, resist!

Will county never got on board with becoming a sanctuary county. I am not good at public speaking. Anyone here reside in Will county that is?

You guys are starting to scare me into thinking SB107 is going to pass.

They have 74 in the House and 40 in the Senate. They own the Governor's office. Those are not encouraging numbers.

That is assuming it goes along party lines; I still can't see such a draconian bill flying with down state dems. Not to say something is not coming.

Regardless and I would recommend this to everyone, purge your social media of any pictures commemorating firearms and magazines that have since been lost in tragic boating accidents.

I spent the last 3 days going back to the olden days of my space to delete anything/everything that could be probable cause.

You realize clicking "delete" on those photos does nothing, right? All you have to do is go in to your settings or preferences menu, click on "what data does FB keep" or whatever it's labelled, and ALL of those photos are still there. A court order to FB and they'd supply everything you've ever posted.

I once spent over 50 hours manually deleting all posts, photos, etc. AFTER I ran a script for 3 days straight to delete everything, but it couldn't delete it all..

I went through the menus and EVERYTHING was still there. Every single post/photo/status.

Completely deleting your FB is the smart move, and even that process takes 30 days without you logging in.

Well, I contacted my SA and Sheriff.

How did it go ?
I composed an email, sent it to both. No response as of yet. In their defense it was sent this afternoon. If it goes as well as my contact to the county board then I am doomed. DeKalb County board member was apparently beholden to some handlers in Springfield. Stated it wasn’t his/their job to decide which laws to follow or ignore.

You realize clicking "delete" on those photos does nothing, right? All you have to do is go in to your settings or preferences menu, click on "what data does FB keep" or whatever it's labelled, and ALL of those photos are still there. A court order to FB and they'd supply everything you've ever posted.

I once spent over 50 hours manually deleting all posts, photos, etc. AFTER I ran a script for 3 days straight to delete everything, but it couldn't delete it all..

I went through the menus and EVERYTHING was still there. Every single post/photo/status.

Completely deleting your FB is the smart move, and even that process takes 30 days without you logging in.

At the point of a court order they can just petition the phone company and pull all of the photos you've ever taken off the cloud.

The Government has ways to know about what you have, I am trying to just "lay low". If it gets to the point of them shoving the proverbial probe up every gun owners rear end looking for felonies most of us are in trouble. Fact is they don't have the resources for that.

At the point of a court order they can just petition the phone company and pull all of the photos you've ever taken off the cloud.

The Government has ways to know about what you have, I am trying to just "lay low". If it gets to the point of them shoving the proverbial probe up every gun owners rear end looking for felonies most of us are in trouble. Fact is they don't have the resources for that.

The agenda puppets keep spitting out one thing after another for the ISP to look into, track, record, etc. from registration to ammo purchases and all that. No way the ISP has the manpower or the budget to do all this stuff.

Good thing nothing I own uses/uploads to the cloud..

If SB107 were to pass, I have little doubt it would immediately be challenged in court. I really thought I'd make it in this state until I retire in 10 years... now I'm not so sure. Missouri looks really good.

That makes two of us. We were looking at a house few miles north of us that had a little acreage, but have decided to wait. We have 12 years to retirement, but could move across the river and increase the commute. So we are waiting to see how things play out. I keep holding out hope that I'm not going to have to move, but every year it is looking more and more like we won't have a choice.

Sheriffs are all well and good, but that doesn't address the problem of local police departments. My local county sheriff may not agree to enforce unconstitutional laws, but that doesn't mean the unelected police chief is going to follow his lead. Not everyone wants to move out of town. There needs to be an effort to get police chiefs on board.

Archived