Regaining Control of the Narrative

Raw Power

I have read a LOT of articles this week with headlines such as:

New Zealand Banned Assault Weapons After Just One Mass Shooting, Why Can't We?

This starts from a flawed premise. That assault weapons (whatever that is) should be banned. "We just need to figure out how to get there". That is us losing the battle before it's even begun, because we are ejected from the national conversation and seen as people on the fringes. We need to figure out how to amplify our voices, and do it soon, or we're going to see this becoming another 1994 very quickly.

What kind of strategy do we have that can counter this, and what kind of suggestions would work best? This might be best for a private meeting, but at this point, we have to act quickly IMHO, and including a lot of voices seems to be the best way to get that going.

Agreed. The problem is we don't own the MSM, and they set the tone and topics of discussion. When we have control over the MSM, we'll have the ability to control the conversation.

Example...IGOLD. Thousands of voices and bodies in Springfield...but it's not newsworthy to the managing editors at the Tribune or Sun Times or any of the local newscasts.

Agreed. The problem is we don't own the MSM, and they set the tone and topics of discussion. When we have control over the MSM, we'll have the ability to control the conversation.

Example...IGOLD. Thousands of voices and bodies in Springfield...but it's not newsworthy to the managing editors at the Tribune or Sun Times or any of the local newscasts.

So what do we do about it?

I'm not a big user of social media, but I do see that some of our members are. I talk semi-regularly as a constituent to my legislators, and have had some conversations that I feel help stem the tide, but how do we change the national narrative? I don't have the answers, I'm just asking the question.

Personally, I do it by talking to my friends and neighbors and taking them shooting. They tend to be quite enlightened by the experience. That helps them make informed decisions when voting, and enables them to better sort out agendas in commentary from politicians and media.

Sometimes it is newsworthy.

Once upon a time the Trib did an IGOLD photo essay to go along with a story. Really.

Hmm, I can find the page for the photo essay, but it looks like the pics are gone.

http://galleries.apps.chicagotribune.com/chi-130306-illinois-gun-owners-lobby-day-pictures/

Sometimes it is newsworthy.

Once upon a time the Trib did an IGOLD photo essay to go along with a story. Really.

I'm aware. Sometimes doesn't really help us though if we're working to raise awareness.

The commies are the most desperate they have been in years and they are just standing on the pile of bodies to achieve their goals as usual. That said after LV all we ended up losing was bumpstocks (which was still BS) but I don't think our problems are really coming from the federal end as much as we are beeing Balkanized on the state level.

I agree. Although there seems to be a big push from other states to bring together the people who want to disarm us, we here in Illinois have a problem on the state level considering who is in office here. JB, Kwame, etc...Oh yeah, big head Harmon as well.

How about a million gun march?

Since they have a mind of their own Im told, I will let of a few of my guns participate.

I don't think getting together all of Chicagos gangbangers for a March would be too easy /purple

How about a million gun march?

Since they have a mind of their own Im told, I will let of a few of my guns participate.

I don't think getting together all of Chicagos gangbangers for a March would be too easy /purple

Actually it would be EXTREMELY easy. All you have to do is give the march a good name.

'FREE' Million Gun March 'FREE'

Simple as that and you have at least 90% participation in Chicago

Personally, I do it by talking to my friends and neighbors and taking them shooting. They tend to be quite enlightened by the experience. That helps them make informed decisions when voting, and enables them to better sort out agendas in commentary from politicians and media.

I do that as well. I'm always looking to do more.

First, we need to stop doing the "Molon Lame" narrative.

Rather, we must frame the 2A as a fundamental human right of self defense.

When Antis demand "we should ban X" (X = "assault weapons", handguns, whatever weapon) the correct response is to question them "A bloodthirsty criminal is about to murder someone you really love. You are not allowed to use a _______________ to stop that from happening" - fill in the blank. They won't want to fill in the blank. They would want to use ANY method to stop the evil from happening. Then tell them that the blank is a weapon protected under the 2A.

When Antis demand "we should ban X" (X = "assault weapons", handguns, whatever weapon) the correct response is to question them "A bloodthirsty criminal is about to murder someone you really love. You are not allowed to use a _______________ to stop that from happening" - fill in the blank. They won't want to fill in the blank. They would want to use ANY method to stop the evil from happening. Then tell them that the blank is a weapon protected under the 2A.

This is a good tactic, but I worry that it only works when talking on a personal level (which is critically important). To that extent: I am taking a female friend shooting today who has been notoriously anti-gun, but this is probably the 5th or 6th time she has shown some level of curiosity in it, so I offered and she told me last week she wanted to go.

This is a good tactic, but I worry that it only works when talking on a personal level (which is critically important). To that extent: I am taking a female friend shooting today who has been notoriously anti-gun, but this is probably the 5th or 6th time she has shown some level of curiosity in it, so I offered and she told me last week she wanted to go.

Nice going! Hope the range session went well. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Nice going! Hope the range session went well. :)

It did! She looked absolutely terrified at first, but then talked about how much fun it was. The politics can get inserted later... I just wanted to get my foot in the door. And anyone who thinks shooting ISN'T fun, probably hasn't done it.

That's precisely what my plan is - to change hearts and minds. That's why it SHOULD work on a personal level, because we are talking about personal human rights.

LWW's got their propaganda brainwashing machines going at full blast. We have to counter that.

Not much we can do about the MSM, but one thing I think we can do as the gun culture is to stop calling it "gun rights" and start calling it what it is - "human rights".

^^^ This is good. When they start their spew we simply say " I can't believe you're actually against human rights ( or civil rights ) knowing full well how many people have been oppressed and murdered by governments or groups because of skin color or religious beliefs". tell the you're surprised they feel that way.

Archived