Winchester USA Forged. Steel Case. Opinions?

MagSlap

So I stopped by Wally World to see what they had on the shelf and decided to try out a box of the USA Forged steel case stuff.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Winchester-USA-Forged-660x398.jpg

Reasoning?

It was 28.64 a box for 150 rounds.(19 cents a round)

I want to use it at the bullpup shoot. The grounds are gravel which makes it difficult to police your brass. This way I dont have to worry about at least 150 rounds. :)

Heck..last year I couldnt find a 7.62 round in the gravel. I had a round FTF.. Ejected it. Couldnt find it for inspection.

I'll only be running it only thru the Glocks. I've run Tullammo (100 round box) once in the past and had no problems.

The only real 'bad' things I've come across about this ammo is that its a bit dirty. Dirty can be cleaned. So I'm not concerned about that.

Has anybody else tried this stuff yet?

What firearms have you used? How did it perform?

OH..btw. This walmart (bloomingdale) had about 20 boxes of 22 shorts. Both CCI and whinchester. Tough to come by..I rarely see it.

So..if your looking for it you may want to check it out.

Also picked up some 38 special. Looking forward to ringin' some steel with a wheelie! :drool:

Seems expensive. I buy brass case Speer Lawman and Blazer brass for like .21 each from SGAMMO. For three cents a round extra I'm going to buy the cheapest decent range ammo that won't risk extractor wear.

With a price difference like that? I agree...(Course with 8-16 dollar shipping I'd go for a CASE at that price.. :) )

Yet...the biggest reason I bought it (as stated above) is that I wont have to worry about gathering the brass at the bullpup shoot.

(Nope..I dont reload, but I still gather my brass so if/when I decide to try reloading, I'll have plenty of cases)

I've never shot, nor even heard of this stuff until today. I wonder if it isn't just tula or wolf in a winchester box. I try to stay away from steel cased ammo as much as possible.

OH..btw. This walmart (bloomingdale) had about 20 boxes of 22 shorts. Both CCI and whinchester. Tough to come by..I rarely see it.

You sure you were not seeing the CCI CB Shorts?

Those are low powered loads.

Pretty sure it wasnt...but its a possibility

• 2 weeks later...

You sure you were not seeing the CCI CB Shorts?

Those are low powered loads.

I was back there yesterday...Yup..they were CB's

• 3 weeks later...

A followup to this ammo.....

At the moment I'm doing ALOT of gun cleaning. This was from last weeks bull pup shoot.

I only used the steel cased stuff in the Glock.

The G19 is torn down and....

After the 150 rounds of USA forged plus about 50+ brass cased rounds the firearm is 'just fine'...

Before cleaning, and peeking at the barrel it was still slick and shiny! No fowling or visible junk.

Interior was about as dirty as you would expect for 200+ rounds.

I suppose thats about the long and short of it...

No biggie.

It ran fine. All went bang with no other failures.

I will mention, as I've read about, that the coating they use on the cartridges is nasty. After loading a mag you will always have gray/silverish much all over you hands and fingers. Very messy.

Is that a show stopper? Naw.. No more a problem than a cook complaining about sticky fingers when making deserts.. :)

Would I buy it again? Perhaps. I'd buy it only for the glocks and if the price is right (meaning MUCH cheaper than typical target brass) and if I anticipate absolutely no interest in policing brass.

My overall opinion?

It works

Its messy when loading due to the shell coating

Its cheaper (but only by a tiny bit)

Leaves firearm no more dirty then other typical ammo.

If I happen to have a box...I wouldnt run away from it.

Welp...back to cleaning...still have a bit of a way to go... :)

Archived