Ninth Circuit Ruling on Peruta v. Cty. of San Diego

ming

The mandate was issued this morning. This case is closed, finished, fini, over, dead as a doornail.

http://blog.californiarighttocarry.org/?page_id=4712

• 3 weeks later...

In light of the Peruta v. San Diego en banc decision, the denial of the preliminary injunction in another NRA/CRPA concealed carry case was unanimously affirmed by a three judge panel in the case of McKay v. Hutchens.

The NRA can now do one of four things: 1) File a Cert Petition with SCOTUS, 2) File an en banc petition with the 9th Circuit, 3) Continue to argue the case in the district court and appeal the inevitable final judgment or 4) Agree to dismiss its case in the district court.

Supplemental briefing has been ordered and the briefs filed in four other concealed carry appeals in the 9th Circuit. The parties were "ordered to provide supplemental briefs in light of the en banc decision in Peruta v. County of San Diego."

Raulinaitis v. Ventura County Sheriff

Sigitas Raulinaitis, et al v. LASD

Jonathan Birdt v. Charlie Beck, et al

Robert Thomson v. Los Angeles County Sheriff

• 3 months later...
Update by Charles Nichols, President of California Right To Carry – January 12, 2017 at 2:02 PM – San Diego Sheriff Gore’s attorney quickly responded to my request for the cert petition filed in this case. The same cannot be said of the attorneys for Orange County Sheriff Hutchens who never responded to my inquiry. You can read the cert petition by clicking on the link. It is under today’s update as well as above the fold.

Update by Charles Nichols, President of California Right To Carry January 12, 2017 at 2:02 PM San Diego Sheriff Gores attorney quickly responded to my request for the cert petition filed in this case. The same cannot be said of the attorneys for Orange County Sheriff Hutchens who never responded to my inquiry. You can read the cert petition by clicking on the link. It is under todays update as well as above the fold.

Peruta v. San Diego Concealed Carry Appeal 10-56971 - Lost - 6-24-2016 & Onward

I moved your update into the existing Peruta thread so we can keep the discussion cohesive.

Update by Charles Nichols, President of California Right To Carry January 12, 2017 at 2:02 PM San Diego Sheriff Gores attorney quickly responded to my request for the cert petition filed in this case. The same cannot be said of the attorneys for Orange County Sheriff Hutchens who never responded to my inquiry. You can read the cert petition by clicking on the link. It is under todays update as well as above the fold.

Peruta v. San Diego Concealed Carry Appeal 10-56971 - Lost - 6-24-2016 & Onward

I moved your update into the existing Peruta thread so we can keep the discussion cohesive.

Sorry about that. I didn't get much sleep last night, had no caffeine and forgot to eat anything today. The last two I have since rectified since my original post.

• 1 month later...

Peruta v. California (formerly v. San Diego) is scheduled for the March 24, 2017, conference.

Two Weeks! :laugh:

Here is an article I wrote on why the Peruta v. California cert petition will be denied in two weeks. http://newsblaze.com/business/legal/us-supreme-court-decide-concealed-carry-petition_75414/

• 2 weeks later...

The Peruta cert petition was distributed for this Friday's conference. Time for a refresher on the what happens with a cert petition. FYI, San Diego declined to file a Brief In Opposition and #SCOTUS did not request it to file one. That is invariably a sign that a cert petition will be denied. And of course there are no SCOTUS Rule 10 splits which doesn't help Peruta's chances.

The Order's list will be published at 9:30 AM Eastern Time on Monday March 27th. The Peruta cert petition will either be denied, granted or relisted. My money is on denial of cert.

Supreme Court Procedure from SCOTUSblog.

The Peruta cert petition was distributed for this Friday's conference. Time for a refresher on the what happens with a cert petition. FYI, San Diego declined to file a Brief In Opposition and #SCOTUS did not request it to file one. That is invariably a sign that a cert petition will be denied. And of course there are no SCOTUS Rule 10 splits which doesn't help Peruta's chances.

The Order's list will be published at 9:30 AM Eastern Time on Monday March 27th. The Peruta cert petition will either be denied, granted or relisted. My money is on denial of cert.

Hmmm..... You sound almost happy that we will lose this one....

Either way Peuruta is decied, many gun owners will be thrown under the bus.

He's expressed his opposition to concealed carry before on this board. His stated position is there should only be open carry.

The Peruta cert petition was distributed for this Friday's conference. Time for a refresher on the what happens with a cert petition. FYI, San Diego declined to file a Brief In Opposition and #SCOTUS did not request it to file one. That is invariably a sign that a cert petition will be denied. And of course there are no SCOTUS Rule 10 splits which doesn't help Peruta's chances. The Order's list will be published at 9:30 AM Eastern Time on Monday March 27th. The Peruta cert petition will either be denied, granted or relisted. My money is on denial of cert. Supreme Court Procedure from SCOTUSblog.

He's expressed his opposition to concealed carry before on this board. His stated position is there should only be open carry.

As far as I can tell, the only reason the SCOTUS hasn't taken more 2A cases is because of Kennedy. I'm thinking once Trump gets two SCOTUS nominees confirmed then we'll start seeing them taking these cases again.

Opposition of concealed carry as an exclusive replacement to open carry is a definite yes. Otherwise not so much. That is my take.

It was rescheduled:

http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/peruta-v-california/

Hopefully Gorsuch will be able to have a vote.

It was rescheduled:

In the past year, 63 cases have been rescheduled (and I'm not counting relisted as rescheduled). In only one of those cases was the cert petition granted.

It was rescheduled:

In the past year, 63 cases have been rescheduled (and I'm not counting relisted as rescheduled). In only one of those cases was the cert petition granted.

Somewhere between 7,000 and 8,000 cases are appealed to SCOTUS each year. Only about 80 of those are actually heard by the court (~1%).

A 1 in 63 chance is 1.6%.

A betting person would conclude that while the chances have mathematically improved by 60%, it's still unlikely to happen.

Is there a difference between relisted and rescheduled?

A relist means the cert petition is scheduled for the next private conference. A case which is "rescheduled" can linger on the docket for weeks before being assigned to a conference.

Or the reschedule can last just a couple of days before being assigned to a conference.

We have no way of knowing why the petition was rescheduled. It could be for as simple a reason as the clerks did not have time to prepare the memos (cert pool and Justice Alito's) or the justices are waiting for Gorsuch to take his seat.

Our big concern is still gonna be Kennedy, since he's supposedly "expressed regrets" about supporting Heller and McDonald. Now I can sorta, barely, in a purely academic sense understand his opposition to joining the conservatives on Friedman, but this might be a little tougher for him to wiggle his way out of, since it's not as "drastic" a decision as Friedman was. The 2A clearly says "keep and bear", and "bearing" arms was at least alluded to in Heller. That still isn't good for us, as he's still a very loose cannon on 2A issues, especially with Kagan nagging him.

Problem is, if this case is denied cert, we'd have to wait for Trump appointee #2 and hope to find another carry case floating through the appellate system.

According to SCOTUSblog, Peruta has been scheduled for this Friday. The docket still shows it as "rescheduled" but the docket often takes a couple of days to be updated.

For the record, I hope that the cert petition is granted. I just don't see how it can be given the posture of the case.

Now showing this

Mar 27 2017 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of March 31, 2017.

That's funny. I had checked the Docket earlier and it still showed "rescheduled" and that was all. It occurred to me that I could call the SCOTUS clerk's office to find out for sure, which I did. The clerk confirmed over the phone that the petition is scheduled for this Friday's conference.

P.S. I just now checked the SCOTUS Docket and it simply says "rescheduled."

Now showing this

Mar 27 2017 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of March 31, 2017.

Were you looking at the official SCOTUS docket or SCOTUSblog.com?

I checked the SCOTUS docket and just now did again in a different browser which should eliminate a problem with the cache not updating. The SCOTUS docket still shows simply "rescheduled."

No matter. The 6:30 am Monday Order's list is usually online by 6:45 am. We should know then.

Archived