Illinois Concealed Carry Wait Time 2021

Mr. Fife

It’s interesting to see that someone who applied with prints in July and another person with prints who applied in September are both just recently approved.

What I question, is why one took longer then the other. Same thing applies to those who have applied without prints. Some taking 130 days other taking 180 days.

Things I have noticed that make a difference in causing delays or decreasing time, is of course fingerprints, renewal or new issue, if renewal FOID card status, having to update address. And of course those who have had some other form of legal issue.

I haven’t seen anyone else post regarding NON-RESIDENT time lines. Are non-residents taking longer or not? Wonder if even when it comes to non-resident, wondering if state of residency is making a difference.

One thing I am thankful for as a non-resident is that I don’t need a FOID! So FOID issues aren’t anything I need to worry about. Yeah!

Submitted without prints 09/12/2020

Still under review.

I think it's the most frustrating when you see applicants submitting after you go active before you, but that's what we get in this magnificent land.

Well I mean if you wanted the fastest time possible why not submit with prints?

I’m not concerned with the fastest time possible, just frustrating that the times are not consistent between applications with the same information. I have purchased guns since applying for my CCL with no extra delays, so it’s not like my name is common or hanging things up compared to others. Like others have said, applicants with prints from July and September are going active at the same time, so it’s not like that helps either. Maybe ISP is just drawing these out of a hat.

Submitted without prints 09/12/2020

Still under review.

I think it's the most frustrating when you see applicants submitting after you go active before you, but that's what we get in this magnificent land.

Well I mean if you wanted the fastest time possible why not submit with prints?

I’m not concerned with the fastest time possible, just frustrating that the times are not consistent between applications with the same information. I have purchased guns since applying for my CCL with no extra delays, so it’s not like my name is common or hanging things up compared to others. Like others have said, applicants with prints from July and September are going active at the same time, so it’s not like that helps either. Maybe ISP is just drawing these out of a hat.

I agree with you it is frustrating. Wondering why one application takes more or less time then another, other then obvious reasons such as prints, renewal, FOID status, residency status, or prior legal issues. It does make one wonder. You think they would process in the order that the applications are received. Even with the obvious reasons listed as possible delays, with all things being the same you would think that they would be processed in the order that ISP receives them.

Being a non-resident, I suspect they may want to contact my home state. However Texas law requires the DPS who issue our LTC’s to notify us if any agency requests information. To date the only state that has requested information for the purpose of obtaining their CHL/LTC has been Connecticut, and I have an LTC for 5 other states not counting Texas, CT, or Illinois.

So I have no clue as to why it is one application gets processed faster then other applications. It would be interesting to know.

CCW Renewal submitted on July 16, 2020, along with fee and class certificate.

Fingerprints on file with original CCW application in 2015.

Still under review. 191 days and waiting.

Really frustrating. Don't understand. Not so much as a speeding ticket on my record.

Wonder what would happen if I waited 191 days past due date to file my state income taxes.

Update: Card in hand 01/19/21.

So I got my CCL in hand however still waiting FOID card in hand.

Initial CCL as new resident:

Applied 09/14/20 with prints

Active 01/13/21

About 122 days as listed on ISP website.

If it’s new or a renewal foid and they make it match the CCL number, it comes under separate envelope.

I’d keep an eye for a matching envelope from them soon.

It’s not like the state of Illinois can make the decision to use one envelope to send two cards!

CCL first time application: 8/16/2020 (no prints)

FOID renewal: 8/19/2020

Currently under review at 160 days. Same application number for both.

I don't care when the FOID gets renewed given the Covid extension, but I wonder if my CCL won't get processed until they start taking care of renewals due to the shared application number. Or maybe my CCL is "on schedule" and they'll take care of the FOID renewal sooner in order to issue the CCL?

Since I am not an Illinois resident, (Texas) I am able to buy and own silencers.

I applied for my Illinois LTC on 10/26/2020 no prints new application.

On 10/19/2020, and 10/27/2020 the ATF cashed two checks for the two silencers I bought. Current turn around time on Form 4 Trusts are 120-160 days from the date the check was cashed.

Seems non-resident no print new applications are taking about 150 days average.

So now the race is on.... which will I get first? My Tax stamps, or my Illinois LTC?

Since I am not an Illinois resident, (Texas) I am able to buy and own silencers.

I applied for my Illinois LTC on 10/26/2020 no prints new application.

On 10/19/2020, and 10/27/2020 the ATF cashed two checks for the two silencers I bought. Current turn around time on Form 4 Trusts are 120-160 days from the date the check was cashed.

Seems non-resident no print new applications are taking about 150 days average.

So now the race is on.... which will I get first? My Tax stamps, or my Illinois LTC?

My money is on the tax stamps, I’m in a similar boat for an FFL but am an IL resident that sent a renewal for CCL in Aug and forms to the ATF in Jan.

Archived