Political Backlash from Mandalay Shooting

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 Scipio24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:14 PM

sounded like a Colt in full mental, that was no m4 cracky crack. another nutjob making exercising our rights more difficult.

G-d Bless the souls affected by such a horrible tragedy..

Exactly.  First off, terribly saddening to wake up and here this story.  To hear about all the people who's lives changed forever...

The point remains that gun control is not the answer.  The problem was this guy nuts (any person who conducts an act like this is by definition nuts).  But the guns were just the vehicle he chose to carry out his sadistic, evil plan.  If it wasn't guns, maybe it was a bomb...maybe he drives a semi into the crowd.  The sad thing is there are just sick, evil people in this world and no amount of legislation on anything is going to change that.

#32 JTHunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:15 PM

@HillaryClinton
Our grief isn't enough. We can and must put politics aside, stand up to the NRA, and work together to try to stop this from happening again.

With one breath, she says to eschew politics.  Then, with the very next breath, she puts them back!!!

Talk about a lying hypocrite!! :pinch: :headbang1:

“We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.” - - Abraham Lincoln

“Small minds adhere to the letter of the law; great minds dispense Justice.” - - S. C. Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes

Life member NAHC, Endowment member NRA

#33 mikew

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:23 PM

@HillaryClinton
Our grief isn't enough. We can and must put politics aside, stand up to the NRA, and work together to try to stop this from happening again.

With one breath, she says to eschew politics.  Then, with the very next breath, she puts them back!!!

She can't help it.  It's in her nature.

remember the Frog and the Scorpion.

#34 GTX63

• Members
  • 4,351 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:43 AM

Yes, Hillary, lets eliminate tall buildings.

How about we subpoena Satan before a senate judicial committee? How is that guy skating past all of this?

Every breath she has taken has been political since the moment the nurse removed her from the warmer.

#35 skinnyb82

• Members
  • 6,379 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:40 AM

If it wasn't guns, maybe it was a bomb...maybe he drives a semi into the crowd.  The sad thing is there are just sick, evil people in this world and no amount of legislation on anything is going to change that.

They found a bunch of ammonium nitrate in his car. Just like McVeigh. Wonder if it was doused in fuel oil.

"Clark County Sheriff Joseph Lombardo told reporters Monday that ammonium nitrate, a chemical compound used to make homemade bombs was found in the Las Vegas shooter’s car."
NRA Member
SAF Member
C&R License Holder

#36 InterestedBystander

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:36 AM

If it wasn't guns, maybe it was a bomb...maybe he drives a semi into the crowd.  The sad thing is there are just sick, evil people in this world and no amount of legislation on anything is going to change that.

They found a bunch of ammonium nitrate in his car. Just like McVeigh. Wonder if it was doused in fuel oil.
"Clark County Sheriff Joseph Lombardo told reporters Monday that ammonium nitrate, a chemical compound used to make homemade bombs was found in the Las Vegas shooter’s car."

At one of the local press conferences, I also heard them mention finding Tannerite.
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#37 junglebob

• 5,933 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:37 AM

I was wondering if the death toll in LasVegas was worse than the Bath School Massacre in 1927.  I googled it and yes it was the Bath School perpetrator killed 43, mostly students, with a explosives he planted under the school there. 

Disarming the people (is) the best and most effectual way to enslave them. George Mason

Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrong doers should dominate just men.  -  Augustine

Three school masacres have been stopped by civilians with firearms. Two with handguns and the third by a guy with a shotgun. (Pearl, Ms; Appalacian School of Law; Edinboro,Pa)

#38 tbrooks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:30 AM

American terrorism at its best! How to fight lone wolf style terrorists?

#39 BigJim

• Members
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:59 AM

It was reported 2 of his riffles had been fitted with bump stocks which explains why everyone thought it he was shooting full auto.  Bump stocks will be the next target of the anti crowd once they figure out what they are and how they work.

Big Jim
-----------------------------------------
I will not be commanded,
I will not be controlled
And I will not let my future go on,
without the help of my soul

The Lost Boy - Greg Holden

#40 soylentgreen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:13 AM

@HillaryClinton

She's a bag of excrement. You see...the left doesn't see their positions against their political adversaries to be political. Thank God she's not president...that's all I can say.

Another senseless tragedy befalls us...and I'll admit, I have no answers. And, all the knee-jerk calls for vague "common-sense, reasonable" gun restrictions make me almost as ill as the thought of dozens of innocent people lying in the Las Vegas morgue.

I am deeply saddened...but I'm also very angry. I'm angry about people dying. I'm angry about politicians using the incident for their own gain. This isn't about saving lives. It's about getting power for themselves.

I just keep asking the thing I always ask when these horrific events happen...

1) What does it have to do with me as a peaceful, law-abiding citizen and gun owner? When someone decides to use a car, knife, hammer, etc for irresponsibly or with evil intent, do we put restrictions on everyone else's access to those implements? No. We place blame at the feet of the perpetrator. Sure, you could argue that a gun is more deadly than a car. I suppose that's so. Does the potential deadliness actually matter? Or, are we concerned with actual results? Is our primary concern to end a certain kind of death...or to reduce the overall number of deaths? Because I think reducing certain kinds of death is an appeal to emotion. It says those deaths are more worthy of our attention. I think if I'm shot and killed or run over by a car and killed, it makes zero difference to me. I'm dead either way. Reducing the overall number of deaths must be the goal if we employ logic. So, why not ban cars or certain types of cars? No one "needs" more than 150hp. Right? Cars kill FAR more people than guns...despite the fact that guns are designed for killing and FAR outnumber cars. If we care only about reducing the overall number of deaths, doesn't it make sense to focus on cars? Swimming pools? Bathtubs? Boats? Disease? Alcohol-related deaths outpace gun deaths by two times. Tobacco-related deaths are 10 times as many as gun-related deaths!

2) Tell me specifically which law you'd implement that would have prevented this incident. It's not enough to say that we need "strong", "common-sense", and "reasonable" laws. Spell out what those laws would be and explain to me how they would have prevented ANY mass shooting in recent memory. Sandy Hook. Fort Hood. San Bernardino. Colorado. Pulse. Columbine. Take your pick. Name the law that would have prevented any of them had that law been in place at the time. I've thrown this challenge out all over the internet. I have yet to see one cogent reply. "Ban all guns" is not a reasonable response because it's not reasonable or realistic. That will never happen. It's not even possible to do if you wanted to.

Just keep asking your anti-gun friends to answer these questions. Maybe someone will come up with an idea. I sure wish I had the answer. I don't want to throw up my hands and say nothing can be done, but I'm pretty close to that. I want to live in a country with freedoms. We would all be much safer in cages...but I'd rather die than live that way. The alternative is to live free and accept the risks that go along with that. The politicians will promise you a safe life if you'll just compromise on your freedoms. But the safety they promise never comes and your freedoms are gone forever. Is it worth it? In what other instance would you give something in a negotiation in return for nothing but empty promises? Regardless of what anyone says, this country is still the freest in the world and we need to stand firm and guard those freedoms jealously. I'm not only protecting my own freedoms...but the freedoms of my children and grandchildren that are yet to be born. You think for a minute I don't take that deadly seriously? If you do, you've got another thing coming. I would kill or die for my children. Do you feel that strongly about taking my rights from me? I think previous generations did a very poor job protecting our liberties and it's time to say "no more".

In places without the right to own guns, other freedoms are falling by the wayside. Freedom of speech itself is under attack. You can't say this or that or anything that offends people without risking fine or imprisonment. I don't think it's a coincidence that other freedoms are being eroded when the government has no fear of the people because the people are disarmed. If we are going to be free in a country of 300 million people, there's no escaping the statistical reality that a certain number of people will abuse their freedoms and harm or kill other people. I don't see a way around it. I'm willing to consider proposals to stop the carnage. But, I insist they make sense. I'm not going to support doing something just to do something. In fact, when you hear the call to "do something" without specifics, that's the time to dig in your heels. Good decisions are rarely made under emotional duress. Good law is rarely made either.

#41 Awan

Migrated out of Illinois

• Members
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:03 PM

Here are some pictures from the room. You can see one of the weapons is equipped with a slide-fire.

video:  http://www.fox25bost...-guns/618716556

Picture:  http://www.fox25bost...ooter/618720147

Another active supporter of The Walmart Thread. <- click here to view.

An Indiana resident with a life-time carry permit!

Boomer Sooner

#42 OldMarineVet

• 2,080 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:48 PM

A far lefty shooting at what he believes to be a huge crowd of Trump supporters? Just made me think of the baseball field shooter who asked which team were the republicans before opening fire.

Yes, seems like there's similarities between both shootings...including the old age of the shooters...

Edited by OldMarineVet, 03 October 2017 - 01:50 PM.

#43 markthesignguy

S39-(D)D.Harmon(F-) R77-(D)K.Willis(F-)

• 2,410 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:49 PM

At one of the local press conferences, I also heard them mention finding Tannerite.

Tannerite IS Ammonium Nitrate and powdered Aluminum.

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign......

#44 Glock23

I am no one.

• 3,790 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:03 PM

IIRC, they said they found ammonium nitrate in his car, and tannerite at his house. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

** Illinois Carry - Supporting Member

** National Association for Gun Rights - Frontline Defender

** Illinois State Rifle Association - 3 year Member

** National Rifle Association - Patron Life Member

#45 WitchDoctor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:06 PM

Naughty, naughty scary gun...

ISRA Member

NRA Life Member

3/504 P.I.R Blue Devil

25 years US Army

Proud Parent to a Wonderful Kid...

Tired of Chicago B.S.

#46 skinnyb82

• Members
  • 6,379 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:50 PM

Political fallout from this (so far) is, according to the WSJ, the SHARE Act is off the table. To paraphrase RINO Ryan, no one will vote for it. And Feinstein has it in for bump fire stocks.

Edited by mauserme, 03 October 2017 - 03:52 PM.
A family friendly adjustment.

NRA Member
SAF Member
C&R License Holder

#47 Dx54r

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 05:06 PM

I feel like we can never win. Two steps forward and 5 steps back.

The NFA will never be repealed in my lifetime. "Cuz automatic guns!"

Our state will never get suppressors. "Cuz wut if he did hav silenhce wepon!"

Gun free zones will never be abolished. "Cuz gunz kill ppel, like in Laass Vegass!"

Heck, I feel like the ATF is going to change their opinion on bumpfire stocks at this point and ban them.

:no: :no: :no: :no: I hope that guy is burning sufficiently in heck.

Edited by Dx54r, 03 October 2017 - 05:12 PM.

#48 RECarry

• Members
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:23 AM

The term "loner" will be used once again to describe a madman.

However, it is 100% acceptable to display shallow thinking among one's peers of collectivist sheep on social media. "We must do something!" or "Why don't gun owners have to pay astronomical sums annually to insure each gun?"  Never mind they are wishing for a police state where only central authorities have guns. And criminals/terrorists will still have many ways to unleash mayhem.

But wait, "Trump is literally Hitler and all police are fascists".  They are a confused bunch.

A woman's "Right to Choose" the abortion issue starts with the words "No!", "Stop!", and "I am armed!".

#49 solareclipse2

• Members
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:07 AM

I don't know why we can't call this guy what he is. A terrorist. Flat out the guy is a domestic terrorist. 

I WILL LOSE EVERY ARGUMENT FROM NOW ON, I WILL WALK AWAY FROM EVERY FIGHT OR CONFRONTATION, I WILL TAKE THE HIGH ROAD.

#50 MrTriple

• Members
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:07 AM

For those concerned about more gun control, not gonna happen. As for the SHARE Act, well, maybe it won't happen right away but it'll still happen eventually. Scalise said that he will continue fighting for gun rights after his tragedy, and that's important: it means he won't use his tragedy to restrict our rights. And I guarantee that he's not the only one who refuses to let this event be used to push for more gun control.
"The point of [so-called "assault weapon" bans]...is not to ban firearms that are dangerous, it's to ban firearms that gun owners want to own because the people making the laws don't like gun owners. If we want to buy non-semiauto AR-style rifles, they'll ban those too, and for the same reason."

-Hapless

#51 tiberius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:58 PM

Most likely fallout is ATF gets a lot harsher on bump stocks, if they don't write rules banning bump fire stocks and accessories outright. I would not be surprised if Congress passes a law effectively codifying the by then pending ATF rulings into Law so they can say they've done "something". I believe we'll lose ground on this one, but with some adroit maneuvering it'll at least be manageable. TBH, I had no idea bump stocks were as effective as they were demonstrated by that creep to be.....I know it's Heresy, but perhaps they should be regulated.  

#52 skinnyb82

• Members
  • 6,379 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:21 AM

Banning bump fire stocks only will impede lazy people and the tacti-cool maroons. I mean, I truly don't care if they do ban them, but the problem I have is Trump is giving Democrats inches and they're taking nautical miles without giving him anything in return.

The only reason why I'm opposed to more bans, more regulation, is on principle. Don't give them a damn thing. The GOP has to force Gorsuch down their throats by changing rules. There's at least 217 bills sitting in the Senate, waiting to be called for a vote. So I don't wanna give the Democrats a "win" that they can use I'm the midterms. "Oh, we banned those full auto coversion kits." Everyone in the gun community will laugh and say they did nothing substantive but the general public, oh lord. They'll see it as a massive victory for Democrats. Lena Dunham is now a firearms expert. Those are the people who the public listens to. Not people who actually have the slightest clue what they're talking about. And the often repeated "We have to do something."

The only reason the Dems aren't doing another sit-in (aka "full retard") is because of all of the vulnerable Democratic Senators from red states up for reelection in 2018.
NRA Member
SAF Member
C&R License Holder

#53 InterestedBystander

• 3,338 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:15 AM

And now they want to push for reporting of multiple rifle purchases too... (Is this the guy that got the smackdown in Springfield after dissing Todd?)

..."The lack of notification for multiple rifle purchases creates a loophole where people can stockpile assault weapons, similar in design to those used by the military and police SWAT teams, with little federal detection, said David Chipman, a former ATF special agent and senior policy adviser at Americans for Responsible Solutions, which advocates for stricter gun rules.

Over the years, ATF agents have tried to get the rule expanded to long rifles, as a way to crack down on gun trafficking, he said. In 2011, the agency was authorized to mandate notification of multiple rifle purchases in four border states — Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas — for six years. But overall the rule still only applies to handguns.

"This is a question of national security," Chipman said. "It doesn't make sense. This policy hurts law enforcement."
He added: "The weapons we are selling in America now are weapons used by tactical law enforcement and the military."

A key difference between weapons available to the public and those used by the military is that the military can obtain fully-automatic weapons, or those which fire continuously on a single trigger pull. Fully-automatic weapons, which includes machine guns, are tightly regulated by the federal government and illegal to purchase in certain states, unless the weapon was made before 1986 and meets other federal guidelines.

But devices known as "bump stocks" can be purchased by the public and allow gun owners to fire semi-automatic weapons nearly as fast as fully-automatic ones, without government oversight, Chipman said. "...
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#54 InterestedBystander

• 3,338 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:54 AM

Really? put a bumpstock on a bolt action?

DL22K4bX0AAh9jU.jpg

Edited by InterestedBystander, 11 October 2017 - 09:55 AM.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#55 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• Members
  • 13,046 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:57 AM

I put one on my lever action and then forgot that I only keep one bullet in my pocket.

Have all boated who fish?

#56 TRJ

Joyful Stoic

• 6,888 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:58 AM

DL22K4bX0AAh9jU.jpg

I want to believe that's a joke, but something tells me she really is that stupid.

This is like putting a muffler on a Tesla.

Edited by TRJ, 11 October 2017 - 10:00 AM.

#57 DD123

Freedom Lover

• 8,110 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:08 AM

I want to believe that's a joke, but something tells me she really is that stupid.

I’m pretty sure that’s one of the many troll accounts lol. There are a few out there, one is even named “Moms Demand Bedroom Action” :rofl:

Force and intimidation are the tools of tyrants.  - Ron Paul

If Democrats quit shooting people, "gun violence" would go down by 80%.......

Taxation is theft

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

#58 InterestedBystander

• 3,338 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:29 AM

Im pretty sure thats one of the many troll accounts lol. There are a few out there, one is even named Moms Demand Bedroom Action :rofl:
Good point...no date and incomplete name, but as TRJ said, it is easy to believe coming from them.

Edited by InterestedBystander, 11 October 2017 - 10:30 AM.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#59 DD123

Freedom Lover

• 8,110 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:35 AM

Im pretty sure thats one of the many troll accounts lol. There are a few out there, one is even named Moms Demand Bedroom Action :rofl:
Good point...no date and incomplete name, but as TRJ said, it is easy to believe coming from them.

I think that's the scariest thing about it.....the fact that it wouldn't be surprising to see something like that come from them.  

I saw a video the other day of a news broadcast from a local station in Ohio I believe.  It showed a guy propping up a watermelon, then shooting it with his shotgun.  The reporter said something along the lines of "and here is a guy shooting an AR-15".  I shook my head so hard I almost gave myself whiplash.  

Or the CNN video of an AR with a grenade launcher installed, along with a suppressor, trying to illustrate how a bump fire stock works.  There wasn't even a bump fire stock in the animated illustration.  The only thing that went through my mind after watching it was "damn, I hope that buffer tube got the buttstocks phone number afterwards" lol.  

Force and intimidation are the tools of tyrants.  - Ron Paul

If Democrats quit shooting people, "gun violence" would go down by 80%.......

Taxation is theft

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users