Non-Resident CCW Residency

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 peteydoug

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:37 PM

Hello again everyone!

I had a quick question regarding legal residency and having a non-resident CCW. I recently submitted my application for a CCW and to my understanding, it will become void if I become an IL resident. My wife is moving to Chicago in January and I was going to put myself on the lease (I'm the one with the good credit  :laugh:) and was going to apply for zoned parking for her car (that's in my name). Will the process for a parking permit and/or the lease establish me as a resident of IL and make my CCW void? I'm not planning on switching my license over from Virginia. I regularly travel for work weeks at a time and plan on flying to Chicago a few times per month. 

Thanks for any help guys! 

#2 InterestedBystander

• Supporting Members Team
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:43 PM

Typically, getting an IL or another states DL is the triggering event. I see no reason a parking permit or lease should do that.

Edited by InterestedBystander, 14 December 2019 - 07:44 PM.

NRA Life Member; ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
SAF Member; GOA Member
🇺🇸

#3 Euler

• Members
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:44 PM

Driver's license and/or voter registration establishes your residency. Neither a parking permit nor an apartment lease (even home ownership) does.

Edited by Euler, 14 December 2019 - 07:44 PM.

The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.

- Albert Camus, Resistance, Rebellion, and Death, 1960.

#4 Gamma

• Members
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:16 PM

Don't get an Illinois Drivers License or State ID card, that is what they use.
Illinois' FCCA is a prime example of the maxim that sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

#5 mikeyk101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 11:22 PM

I am an Illinois resident but I own a house in Wisconsin and land in Indiana. Because my Drivers License is Illinois, I am still considered a resident of Illinois and not Wisconsin or Indiana. I do pay property tax in Wisconsin but am considered a non resident. Same for Indiana but am considered just a non resident landowner. I also spend most of my time in Illinois. That is another factor. If I was to spend most of my time in Wisconsin, I would legally have to change my state of residence.

So the point I'm making is that if you are maintaining a residence in Virginia, you should be fine. I know folks that maintain their residence in Illinois but own a condo down in Florida. Some even have a personal car registered in Florida to them that they leave down there for when they travel to their condo.

#6 peteydoug

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:21 AM

Thanks for everyone's help. This opens up the apartment hunt quite a bit! Who knew parking is so scarce in this city???

Edited by peteydoug, 16 December 2019 - 09:21 AM.

#7 InterestedBystander

• Supporting Members Team
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 10:10 AM

Thanks for everyone's help. This opens up the apartment hunt quite a bit! Who knew parking is so scarce in this city???

. And expensive!
NRA Life Member; ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
SAF Member; GOA Member
🇺🇸

#8 seanc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 10:45 AM

Deleted

Edited by seanc, 16 December 2019 - 10:45 AM.

"Senator if we figure out a way to make criminals obey the law, then you'll be my first call"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users