Gun legislation the last 2 weeks of this ILGA session?

InterestedBystander

Interesting that none of the media articles are proposing common sense gun violence prevention as a hot topic for the legislature as they return for the end of session. Have the sanctuary declarations made the legislators think twice?

Only capital bill, state budget, legalizing weed, income tax, sports betting, and other taxes like plastic bags are appearing so far. Are we going to get a break or are we going to see last minute shenanigans like in shell bills to slide stuff in?

It's not gun control, but SCC suggests filing witness slips opposing HB1115, which is on the agenda for Wednesday in the Senate Criminal Law committee.

It's worded a bit obtusely, but basically it removes electronic monitoring ("ankle monitors") as an option for paroled felons, unless ordered by the court, and even court ordered monitoring is limited to 60 days. I recall seeing something somewhere that the whereabouts of up to 40% of people with monitors in Cook County are unknown at any time, because the parolees take them off or let the batteries run down. I guess the bill is all about giving up on the other 60%.

It's not gun control, but SCC suggests filing witness slips opposing HB1115, which is on the agenda for Wednesday in the Senate Criminal Law committee.It's worded a bit obtusely, but basically it removes electronic monitoring ("ankle monitors") as an option for paroled felons, unless ordered by the court, and even court ordered monitoring is limited to 60 days. I recall seeing something somewhere that the whereabouts of up to 40% of people with monitors in Cook County are unknown at any time, because the parolees take them off or let the batteries run down. I guess the bill is all about giving up on the other 60%.

I did one for this. Tired of how crime is just rampant.

It's not gun control, but SCC suggests filing witness slips opposing HB1115, which is on the agenda for Wednesday in the Senate Criminal Law committee.

It's worded a bit obtusely, but basically it removes electronic monitoring ("ankle monitors") as an option for paroled felons, unless ordered by the court, and even court ordered monitoring is limited to 60 days. I recall seeing something somewhere that the whereabouts of up to 40% of people with monitors in Cook County are unknown at any time, because the parolees take them off or let the batteries run down. I guess the bill is all about giving up on the other 60%.

It came out in committee that electronic monitoring is being imposed as a condition of release by Depart of Corrections personel, even when not ordered by a judge and sometimes beyond the length of the original sentence. The bill is an effort to put due process back into the monitoring system.

The electronic monitoring equipment/band do not track parolee's locations, GPS system is required for that, and GPS is normally reserved for sex offenders. Parolee can and do cut off their EM band and that is an automatic violation to be returned to prison for review by the PRB. As far as EM equipment, the parolee's cannot change or recharge the batteries in the bracelet's, the company that maintains the equipment does that.

The Illinois Department of Corrections does not impose EM on parolee's, that is imposed by the Prisoner Review Board, and it is not possible, by law, that any PRB order can extend beyond the parolee's maximum parole discharge date.

Certainly we need to keep an eye (or both eyes) on the "common sense gun control" attempts, but my sense of it is that the actual fiscal reality of our situation in IL has finally hit Pritzker. They now seem to be focused on raising revenue and enriching cronies to get their support for the aforementioned revenue raising. The Dems are going to spend A LOT of political capital getting the tax and spend measures passed. Hopefully they won't have the stomach to fight the gun control fight this term.

Legislation takes time to take effect ("effective date"), and changes to the Illinois constitution HAVE to pass a voter vote by certain parameters.

I don't see how they will be able to implement the "Progressive" State income tax to start before Jan 1, 2021

Legislation takes time to take effect ("effective date"), and changes to the Illinois constitution HAVE to pass a voter vote by certain parameters.I don't see how they will be able to implement the "Progressive" State income tax to start before Jan 1, 2021

Wasn’t the last income tax hike considered “Retro active”?

Thy will just pass the dang law, wait for the voters to say NO, then make the changes anyway.

Voters don’t mean anything unless it’s an election, it’s “We the Government”, not “We the People” in this state.

Legislation takes time to take effect ("effective date"), and changes to the Illinois constitution HAVE to pass a voter vote by certain parameters.I don't see how they will be able to implement the "Progressive" State income tax to start before Jan 1, 2021

Wasnt the last income tax hike considered Retro active?

Thy will just pass the dang law, wait for the voters to say NO, then make the changes anyway.

Voters dont mean anything unless its an election, its We the Government, not We the People in this state.

I thought this time around a constitutional change by voters must be approved, if not for all of it, at least part of it.

I am still going to be surprised if they dont try for some type of negative changes to FOID or CCL costs/processing.

They could say effective immediately or 1 month after the public votes on it, no?

Do you trust them enough that they would not pull any parliamentary tricks or even lower the proposed tax bracket AFTER they get it passed? Its $250k now, they will just lower it to $50k or $100K and shrug their shoulders and say they need more money to support the spending and wealth distribution.

From the Illinois constitution.

SECTION 2. AMENDMENTS BY GENERAL ASSEMBLY

(a) Amendments to this Constitution may be initiated in

either house of the General Assembly. Amendments shall be

read in full on three different days in each house and

reproduced before the vote is taken on final passage.

Amendments approved by the vote of three-fifths of the

members elected to each house shall be submitted to the

electors at the general election next occurring at least six

months after such legislative approval, unless withdrawn by a

vote of a majority of the members elected to each house.

(B) Amendments proposed by the General Assembly shall be

published with explanations, as provided by law, at least one

month preceding the vote thereon by the electors. The vote on

the proposed amendment or amendments shall be on a separate

ballot.

A proposed amendment shall become effective as the

amendment provides if approved by either three-fifths of

those voting on the question or a majority of those voting in

the election.

© The General Assembly shall not submit proposed

amendments to more than three Articles of the Constitution at

any one election. No amendment shall be proposed or submitted

under this Section from the time a Convention is called until

after the electors have voted on the revision or amendments,

if any, proposed by such Convention.

(Source: Illinois Constitution.)

Iowa is at about 72K and your in the million tax bracket.

The problem is how much income is generated by the 100-250K people compared to the other brackets, so when you need money ....

They won't lower the 250K they will just raise the rate, divide an conquer, this is basically how they break unions.

I haven't seen a tax bracket income table, it has to exist to do projections, if it's public point me a link ;)

I just read that Willis gun control group met again and is preparing a replacement HB096 amendment 1 gut that will be dropped this week. 126 pages long. Guess we will see what happens. Some of the items in this replacement are rumored to be:

Creates a Prohibited Persons Portal for police to access those with a revoked, suspended FOID card.

All firearms transfers MUST go through an FFL.

The gun must go through an FFL at a cost of $10 per transfer

Mail order ammo sales are allowed but can only be shipped to the address on your FOID card.

Removed the must apply in person language.

Fingerprints must be submitted with applications and renewals.

Applicants pay the (currently) $32.50 criminal history background check fee charged by the Illinois State Police.

FOID Application fee set at $50 for a 5-year card.

Cancellation of FOID cards. The Department of the State Police may cancel a FOID card if a person is not prohibited by State or federal law from acquiring or possessing a firearm or firearm ammunition and the sole purpose is for an administrative reason.

If your FOID is suspended or revoked you have 48 hours to surrender your guns.

I just read that Willis gun control group met again and is preparing a replacement HB096 amendment 1 gut that will be dropped this week. 126 pages long. Guess we will see what happens. Some of the items in this replacement are rumored to be:

Creates a Prohibited Persons Portal for police to access those with a revoked, suspended FOID card.

Mail order ammo sales are allowed but can only be shipped to the address on your FOID card.

Applicants pay the (currently) $32.50 criminal history background check fee charged by the Illinois State Police.

Cancellation of FOID cards. The Department of the State Police may cancel a FOID card if a person is not prohibited by State or federal law from acquiring or possessing a firearm or firearm ammunition and the sole purpose is for an administrative reason.

If I were a Rep/Sen whose district included a county (or a portion thereof) that had declared itself a 2A Sanctuary County, I'd run from this as fast as I could. Unless I was looking for a quick way to lose the next election.

If I were a Rep/Sen whose district included a county (or a portion thereof) that had declared itself a 2A Sanctuary County, I'd run from this as fast as I could. Unless I was looking for a quick way to lose the next election.

Yeah, but shes not going to stop. The downstaters keeping the Chicago Dems at bay and preventing a Chicago Repub or two from defecting will be important. I expect it to get by Dem controlled committee. Floor debate...who knows. Maybe they will decide to not introduce.

Yeah, but shes not going to stop. The downstaters keeping the Chicago Dems at bay and preventing a Chicago Repub or two from defecting will be important. I expect it to get by Dem controlled committee. Floor debate...who knows. Maybe they will decide to not introduce.

Well, self-awareness doesn't seem to be some politicians' strong suit. If they won't stop, neither can we.

I haven't seen a tax bracket income table, it has to exist to do projections, if it's public point me a link ;)

Illinois Policy follows Pritzker's tax policy plan. They posted this:

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/reports/pritzker-fair-tax-would-cost-typical-illinois-family-3500-cost-state-economy-286000-jobs/

That’s scary reading...

There's rumors Willis shall try to revive hb96 through another amendment. However, I feel like were in a calm before the storm.

Gun control is a useful campaign issue for the Cook suburbs/women. With 2020 campaign season coming up it will be interesting to see how they time this, and how far they go. The Moms organisation is fully able to shift focus to other leftist issues, but that will disrupt things a bit and require some build up on the new issue, I would imagine. For the gun control base of these organizations, if you give them a full win on gun control early on, how easy will it be to drive GOTV in Nov. 2020? You would almost think the political move would be to get a few low to mid level wins but have a "defeat" or "too risky without more of our politicians elected" on some of the big issues going into the final run.

Illinois Policy follows Pritzker's tax policy plan. They posted this:

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/reports/pritzker-fair-tax-would-cost-typical-illinois-family-3500-cost-state-economy-286000-jobs/

Maybe someone smarter can figure that out backwards from that data what I want to know is

How much as a percent of the total income is represented by the 100-250K workers?

I suspect that's real large a percent hike in that is a LOT more then with millionaires so that's the center of the tax target for increases.

I had read a few years back, as I recall, that most of the untapped wealth nationally peaks around the $150K mark (and extends out $50K or so in both directions). Even Ezra Klein at leftist Vox confirmed this in a pro "tax em all" article regarding the limits of just taxing "millionaires and billionaires."

Archived