Pro 2A resolution - Archive

Ashdump

UPDATE: Macon County Board

Okay, I went to the Macon County Board meeting tonight. Tonight's adventure was namely for educational purposes only...intended to be educational for me, but ended up being educational for about a dozen of the 18 members. I hung around after the meeting to introduce myself to the board members. And what amazed me is that EVERY MEMBER I met, remembered me by name from the emails I have sent, and those who did not have email access knew me from conversations with other board members. We have an overwhelming amount of support on the Macon County Board, even members who do not own guns and are against assault weapons said that the important issue at hand is that the 2A is a right, and since it is a right, they support it, even though they don't like guns.

I was informed that there will be at least one, maybe two members that are going to bombard me with questions regarding the meaning of the 2A, not for the purpose of arguing with me, but to ensure I'm not some "Kook" coming in and presenting this. (And I was told exactly that, they wanted to make sure I wasn't some kook or psycho). Many of them chose to bring up that they support CCW, stating that it has worked for the rest of the country, so why not Illinois? I was told the prefer CCW over open carry to reduce the "fear factor" in public with a firearm. And there may be one member who will flat out vote "no," but not to many details were discussed on that issue. Members seemed to respect this movement more for the simple fact that I was there tonight doing my homework.

Rep. Flider was there this evening, and he said he is trying to figure out what to say in regards to his supporting the 2a. He says his record speaks for itself, and there doesn't seem to be a need to say that he supports it. I told him that I knew of his record, the people in his district knew of his record, but the people from the other 102 counties may not know, and for some people, knowing that they don't stand alone in their beliefs makes it easier for them to stand up and be heard. I told him that we weren't asking for anything extreme, just a simple "My record speaks for itself, I stand up for the Second Amendment along with every other Constitutional Right." would be good enough. It is simply to infor those who do not know where he stands. Plus, showing the other politicians that this is not just the lower class, middle class, or upper class speaking out....it is Illinois CITIZENS speaking out, and these means the Reps. and Senators as well, they live here too.

Things are looking good, I believe I am going to pull quotes from the US Dept. of Justice brief I posted a link to in the Game plan thread for defining the multiple variations of defining the 2a....and I agree with what it says and how it says it. References and fact hold more weight than uneducated opinions in my eyes.

P.S.-I was introduced to some members as a "Pro Second Amendment Activist" by other members (with an smile of approval on their faces)....is that a good thing?? I hope so.

I won't steal Coach's thunder, it was his determination and dedication that got us to the Moultrie Co. meeting tonight. After telling him this afternoon that I couldn't make it, I worked things out to go to Sullivan anyway. Coach had some challenges getting there, car problems, long way around from Chambana to Sullivan, but make it he did and in time to do a great job of presenting the resolution to a "cold" board in that they had no background before he stood up before them!! He was actually able to address the board twice, and I made a short blurb just for practice.

IMHO, it's just a matter of time, Jan 11 to be exact, the next scheduled meeting for the whole board. It must go through a committee and be recommended, but the head of the committee thinks it will be no problem, most board members that I talked to after the meeting thought it would be passed with very little opposition if any at all.

Great Job Coach and thanks for the invite!!! Hope you made it home on the directions I gave you!!!!

Color it whatever you want right now, but Moultrie county is on it's way to green!!!

AB

Abolt has told you what transpired at the Moultrie County Board meeting, except...

...he did a super, super job of explaining to the full board what the 2A Res is all about! I won't allow him to be modest...he was great! My presentation was minor!

Regarless...we got the job done!

By the way, I think he knows everyone in Shelby and Moutrie Counties!

We gave them copies of the 2A Res and the updated 62-county "greenie" map.

The County Clerk was there, so she also has a copy of the Res in her possession.

Shall we color Moultrie yellow or not? It's not on the Board agenda yet....

Is it on the Committee agenda for Jan 11? If so, email Pro2aResolution.com They will update it on the events portion, and I believe the answer is YES, YELLOW. Macon is YELLOW and it is going to Committee on Jan 22. I can try to be there for the meeting on the 11th if you wish. But I just emailed them the update and waited for them to decide if it changed color.

From what I saw and the county board meeting last night concerning another issue of a completely different topic. When you have a dozen people going up to that microphone and speaking their opinions after the "Main" person offers the initial presentation, the members seem to be more willing to listen. So I invite anyone and everyone who wants to show up for the Committee meeting in Macon County on Jan 22, 2008 to be there. But remember, this is only the Committee, if some of you can only be there for either the Committee or the full Board meeting, I believe it would be more important to have great numbers in front of the whole board. PM me if you need directions. This one is easy to find. And I will need direction to the Moultrie County meeting if y'all would like me there. Beside, it'll be more practice for me in Macon County :thumbsup:

Is it on the Committee agenda for Jan 11? If so, email Pro2aResolution.com They will update it on the events portion, and I believe the answer is YES, YELLOW. Macon is YELLOW and it is going to Committee on Jan 22. I can try to be there for the meeting on the 11th if you wish. But I just emailed them the update and waited for them to decide if it changed color.

From what I saw and the county board meeting last night concerning another issue of a completely different topic. When you have a dozen people going up to that microphone and speaking their opinions after the "Main" person offers the initial presentation, the members seem to be more willing to listen. So I invite anyone and everyone who wants to show up for the Committee meeting in Macon County on Jan 22, 2008 to be there. But remember, this is only the Committee, if some of you can only be there for either the Committee or the full Board meeting, I believe it would be more important to have great numbers in front of the whole board. PM me if you need directions. This one is easy to find. And I will need direction to the Moultrie County meeting if y'all would like me there. Beside, it'll be more practice for me in Macon County :thumbsup:

Tplane, Pro2a was emailed by both Coach and I last night.

The legislative committee will meet before the regular board meeting on the 11th. The chairman of the legis committee told Coach and I that it wasn't necessary for us to attend the legislative meeting, there's only three members, and two of them told us it would not encounter any resistance. The meeting on the 11th will be the whole board, I don't expect any need for long or multiple presentations. Since Coach and I presented it, I plan to be there to answer any questions, but I honestly feel that it will be passed with no opposition. I appreciate your offer and exuberance, but sometimes when you have things going your way, it's best just to get out of its way and let'er roll!!!! The chair of the legis comm was going to contact Coach or I after the committee meeting and before the whole board meeting. If there seems to be any hesitation at all, then we'll call out the troops!!!

Good luck in Macon.

AB

Okay, I will be on stand-by should I be needed on the 11th. You guys have already started this, so you get to continue with the speeches ! LOL If I were there and asked to speak, I believe it would be a last resort for additional comments, and I would try to keep it short and sweet. Pretty much standing up and saying "I agree with what they said." and sitting back down, or how ever else you guys thought was necessary...this one is y'all's baby, and I have no intentions of stepping on your toes! Just let me know if you need anything, if you like, I can ask Rep. Flider to be there (if he isn't planning to already.) He is the Rep for Moultrie county as well, and he seems to like to stand up and speak in support of the people as I saw with him last night at our board meeting.

I will let you know that during the two legislative committee meetings I attended, I spoke to the 4 members about what we were doing. I had kept them updated with a couple of mailings. After it passed legislative, I mailed all the members one more letter with updated map, reason for this being a county item, etc. When it went in front of the board, I was ready to read a prepared statement that I had worked on for 2 days. We just sat there and everything happened before our eyes and we didn't speak a word. Giving the board members enough information prior to the vote by mailings seemed to work just fine.

Next up...

Douglas County Board

I have had some conversation with the Board Chairman, Charles "Chuck" Knox.

He has been reluctant to put the 2A Res on the Board agenda because of "...so many things on our plate" ...remember the hostatge/shooting incident in Arcola last summer.

I will call him one more time, and am making plans on using the same approach ABolt and I used last night at the Moultrie County Board meeting. The next Douglas County Board meeting will be next Wednesday, Dec 19th, 9 A.M., Douglas County Courthouse, Tuscola.

Anyone able to join in at that time of day?

You are an intelligent and determined young man. I applaud you. Discuss the issues with Macon County Commissioner Bill Oliver. Be humble, gracious, and firm. Let your intelligence and knowledge shine. I hope he believes that the right to keep and bear arms is an individual right recognized by not only the US Constitution but also the Illinois Constitution. I would also hope he is predisposed to concealed carry by peaceable citizens. If he is on our side, he should be a persuasive advocate. Tell him an old member of St. Peters AME Church is a firm believer in concealed carry for Illinois. Remind him that gun control is not crime control.

You are an intelligent and determined young man. I applaud you. Discuss the issues with Macon County Commissioner Bill Oliver. Be humble, gracious, and firm. Let your intelligence and knowledge shine. I hope he believes that the right to keep and bear arms is an individual right recognized by not only the US Constitution but also the Illinois Constitution. I would also hope he is predisposed to concealed carry by peaceable citizens. If he is on our side, he should be a persuasive advocate. Tell him an old member of St. Peters AME Church is a firm believer in concealed carry for Illinois. Remind him that gun control is not crime control.

You know, I don't think I spoke with him last night. I will definitely put that on the list of people to speak to. And thank you.

Is this the African American guy that seemed to want to be well educated on topics before he voted on them? Comm. Oliver is also on the Operations, Personnel , and Legislative, Committee I am going in front of in January. He might be the gentleman I was told would be asking A LOT of questions to find out how serious I was about supporting the Constitution (as a whole, not just the 2A).

Douglas County Board

He has been reluctant to put the 2A Res on the Board agenda because of "...so many things on our plate" ...remember the hostatge/shooting incident in Arcola last summer.

I will call him one more time, and am making plans on using the same approach ABolt and I used last night at the Moultrie County Board meeting. The next Douglas County Board meeting will be next Wednesday, Dec 19th, 9 A.M., Douglas County Courthouse, Tuscola.

uh-oh!

Just got off the phone with Mr. Knox...I had emailed him a month or two ago re: his lack of reponse with the Res. He felt I had "...ripped me a new one"!

I asked him to meet me for coffee/lunch to iron things out, was told it wouldn't be 'til after the 1st of the year.

Common sense tells me I better back off from that Douglas County Board Meetng on the 19th. I don't want to alienate him further!

Anyone else, feel free!

Douglas County Board

uh-oh!

Just got off the phone with Mr. Knox...I had emailed him a month or two ago re: his lack of reponse with the Res. He felt I had "...ripped me a new one"!

I asked him to meet me for coffee/lunch to iron things out, was told it wouldn't be 'til after the 1st of the year.

Common sense tells me I better back off from that Douglas County Board Meetng on the 19th. I don't want to alienate him further!

Anyone else, feel free!

He sounds like a big baby to me. If he can't handle pressure or criticism, he's in the wrong position. Do what you think is best Coach. Perhaps it's like Champaign county, where the board needs to hear from "the people"

You know, I don't think I spoke with him last night. I will definitely put that on the list of people to speak to. And thank you.

Is this the African American guy that seemed to want to be well educated on topics before he voted on them? Comm. Oliver is also on the Operations, Personnel , and Legislative, Committee I am going in front of in January. He might be the gentleman I was told would be asking A LOT of questions to find out how serious I was about supporting the Constitution (as a whole, not just the 2A).

Yes.

Tplane Coach Abolt

Great work guys. I salute you three and say well done. Coach, as far a Douglas, it seem like they just look for an excuse not to hear trhe resolution. Just keep after the ones that we can still talk to and when Douglas finds itself out in left field with Cook, then maybe they will want to talk to you. Get what we can before IGOLD.

Mac

Yes.

I thought that was the name I was told would be playing 20 questions with me! I am making some special preperations for him. I might go to the next committe meeting and see if I can pull him off to the side and chat with him. But I will mention what you said. Thank you.

Hey coach, great job with Moultrie County, don't know what to say about Douglas though. Abolt and I were trying to find the website with the board members listed on it at his office yesterday but couldn't. Could you (or anyone else) help me out with that? We got friends and family in that area who "might know someone who knows someone" that can give us some insight on the hang-up there.

gnhntn

Hey coach, great job with Moultrie County, don't know what to say about Douglas though. Abolt and I were trying to find the website with the board members listed on it at his office yesterday but couldn't. Could you (or anyone else) help me out with that? We got friends and family in that area who "might know someone who knows someone" that can give us some insight on the hang-up there.

gnhntn

Are you looking for: http://www.naco.org

MollyB provided a source, but here:

.................................................Term expires

Charles "Chob" Edmundson (Judy).12/2008

405 Willow

Arthur, IL 61911

543-2409

gochob@consolidate.net

Wayne Schable (Shirley)...............12/2008

PO Box 62

Arthur, IL 61913

578-2966 (H) 246-2966 (M)

atwoodantiques@consilidated.net

Marlene Lincoln (Frank).................12/2010

PO Box 106-

Tuscola, IL 61953

253-3897

mrlnlincoln@yahoo.com

Kathy Rhodes (Lou).......................12/2008

817 Lake Shore Dr

Tuscola, IL 61953

253-4048 (H) 493-8321 (M)

kathyrohdes@netcare-il.com

Donald "Don" Munson (Jane)...........12/2010

1260 E ST RT 133

Arcoloa, IL 61910

268-3778 (H) 254-3778 (M)

munson.farms@;oantpioneer.com

Charles "Chuck" Knox (Caryl)..........12/2008 (Board Chair) Be careful here...consult your Dad!

100 Hickory Lane

Villa Grove, IL 61956

832-8095

cmknow@mchsi.com

Tom Glenn (Laraine)........................12/2010

726 N CR 2560 E.

Newman, IL 61942

837-2606

iglenn@ecicwireless.vom

All viewers, please remember...

the Board Chairman has asked that the Board members not be inundated with "information."

They have all they need and are on our side!

This is a touchy situation; please respect his request!

MollyB provided a source, but here:

.................................................Term expires

Charles "Chob" Edmundson (Judy).12/2008

405 Willow

Arthur, IL 61911

543-2409

gochob@consolidate.net

Wayne Schable (Shirley)...............12/2008

PO Box 62

Arthur, IL 61913

578-2966 (H) 246-2966 (M)

atwoodantiques@consilidated.net

Marlene Lincoln (Frank).................12/2010

PO Box 106-

Tuscola, IL 61953

253-3897

mrlnlincoln@yahoo.com

Kathy Rhodes (Lou).......................12/2008

817 Lake Shore Dr

Tuscola, IL 61953

253-4048 (H) 493-8321 (M)

kathyrohdes@netcare-il.com

Donald "Don" Munson (Jane)...........12/2010

1260 E ST RT 133

Arcoloa, IL 61910

268-3778 (H) 254-3778 (M)

munson.farms@;oantpioneer.com

Charles "Chuck" Knox (Caryl)..........12/2008 (Board Chair) Be careful here...consult your Dad!

100 Hickory Lane

Villa Grove, IL 61956

832-8095

cmknow@mchsi.com

Tom Glenn (Laraine)........................12/2010

726 N CR 2560 E.

Newman, IL 61942

837-2606

iglenn@ecicwireless.vom

All viewers, please remember...

the Board Chairman has asked that the Board members not be inundated with "information."

They have all they need and are on our side!

This is a touchy situation; please respect his request!

Thanks coach, I agree we have a touchy situation here, I just wondered if there was anyone on the board that we knew. Then maybe we could get some inside info. I'm sure they have plenty on their plate with FutureGen about to announce where there new plant is going. I was just going to do a little "covert recon" :rolleyes: . I agree that maybe backing off for a little bit is good. I will let you know if I learn anything new. Oh and thanks molly I believe that is the site we were looking for.

He might be the gentleman I was told would be asking A LOT of questions to find out how serious I was about supporting the Constitution (as a whole, not just the 2A).

This is why it's important for us to know about the entire consitution, and especially the bill of rights. One of the most shocking and disturbing facts is that some read the constitution very loosely, or broadly on some issues (using it to support the right to abortion, for example...a right tied to privacy that I happen to agree with, but it's not even an ennumerated right) but narrowly on other issues (like the second, which is read to effectively mean nothing by some, but only enough by others to permit draconian regulations). It's this inconsistency in application that's the real problem -- the fact that the constitution specifically says "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." We can agree to some regulations, as I too want to discourage criminals and mentally unstable. But it's a very short road that leads us to the words "Shall not be infringed."

Good luck sir! Just do your best, that's all they will ask.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone working on Ogle county? I have have a prospect real feed up with the current situation and is interested in taking this forward in Ogle.

I believe maybe Buzzard is working on Ogle? I am sure he would welcome someone to the team!

Molly B.

I spoke with my good friend on the Ogle county board again last night. He's a gun enthusiast and collecter. He told me that the 2A Res. will be moving through committees in Ogle county next week, beginning with the Sheriffs committee on Jan. 14th. It was his opinion that the 2A resolution will most likely go before the full county board this month. He said with the materials I've furnished him and the work that he's done, he feels it's ready to go, and would keep me well informed.

I also volunteered to help him with yard signs for his next election to the board. It never hurts to show your appreciation, and it helps elect those people who are on our side.

And dig out the yellow highlighter!

Archived