Photo

nontoxic gun cleaners and oils

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 Yeti

• Supporting Members Team
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:59 PM

Prolix works for many things and is safe for blued finishes, unlike some options:

http://www.prolixlub...totherssay.html

#32 max503

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:12 PM

I like CLP.

Look up Ed's Red.  It's a home made concoction that was developed by a chemist.  Cast bullet shooters swear by it.  It's cheap enough you can get crazy with it.  I'll take the grips off my Ruger 22 auto or my 1911 and brush it down liberally with Ed's Red and a toothbrush over a metal paint roller tray.  Works well on anything mechanical.

#33 Hoffsoft

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:29 PM

Mpro7 and Slip 2000 EWL when I have to keep my wife happy. But Hoppes is the One True Scent. :)

#34 Gamma

• Members
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 09:14 PM

I like CLP.

Look up Ed's Red.  It's a home made concoction that was developed by a chemist.  Cast bullet shooters swear by it.  It's cheap enough you can get crazy with it.  I'll take the grips off my Ruger 22 auto or my 1911 and brush it down liberally with Ed's Red and a toothbrush over a metal paint roller tray.  Works well on anything mechanical.

CLP doesn't work for many who are sensitive to chemicals, especially the aerosol version as it's got volatile solvents.

There is nothing about Ed's Red that I would call "non toxic". It's a witches brew of petroleum products with some other not-real-friendly additives and an optional volatile organic solvent.
Illinois' FCCA is a prime example of the maxim that sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

#35 Gamma

• Members
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 09:34 PM

I do not understand the comments. Gun oil does not stink. Neither does burnt gun powder(includes black powder).
It all smells like freedom -wonderful.

I'm glad that you enjoy your shooting. If your "freedom" smelling gun oil gave you an asthma attack, or skin inflammation and hives, it would probably make you feel less free.

i love the frog lube works real well

Frog Lube, like most of the newish "non toxic" lubes, is vegetable oil based. It is supposedly mostly coconut oil.
Illinois' FCCA is a prime example of the maxim that sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

#36 stm

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 03:15 PM

I do not understand the comments. Gun oil does not stink. Neither does burnt gun powder(includes black powder).It all smells like freedom -wonderful.I'm glad that you enjoy your shooting. If your "freedom" smelling gun oil gave you an asthma attack, or skin inflammation and hives, it would probably make you feel less free. i love the frog lube works real wellFrog Lube, like most of the newish "non toxic" lubes, is vegetable oil based. It is supposedly mostly coconut oil.

I thought it was made from real frogs.

yea everyone makes fun of the redneck till the zombies show up. . .

#37 BigBL87

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:30 AM

I've been using Mpro7 for a few months now, seems to work pretty well.  Doesn't do as good of a job as my Break Free Powder Blast, but then again the trade off is that Mpro7 is non toxic, and I don't have to work that much harder to clean than with the Powder Blast.  I've tried the Mpro7 gun oil as well, but I don't like it as much as my Lucas Oil Gun Oil (it isn't quite as thick as the Lucas Oil).

#38 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• 2,724 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:29 AM

Has anyone tried those new Otis Smart Chemicals? They are supposed to be non-toxic and biodegradable, but I can't really find any reviews on them.

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Gb1XExdm.jpg

#39 mikew

• Members
  • 3,814 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:27 AM

Frog Lube, like most of the newish "non toxic" lubes, is vegetable oil based. It is supposedly mostly coconut oil.

#40 cola490

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:29 PM

Ballistol here. Smells like puke though. My wife knows when I'm cleaning my guns.

one more for Ballistol but i kinda like the way it smells

Ballistol for me, beside hickok45 uses it.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

#41 stm

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:42 PM

LOL!

yea everyone makes fun of the redneck till the zombies show up. . .

#42 geomick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:29 PM

Has anyone tried those new Otis Smart Chemicals? They are supposed to be non-toxic and biodegradable, but I can't really find any reviews on them.

I use the O85 CLP (liquid and wipes), MSR Cleaner and Complete Gun Cleaner, and the spray Dry Lube.

They are a brand we represent. Once I tried them, I have kept using them (been a long time since I used #9). I've been using Breakfree CLP for 30+ years, bit that is being replaced by the O85.

#43 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• 2,724 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:15 PM

I use the O85 CLP (liquid and wipes), MSR Cleaner and Complete Gun Cleaner, and the spray Dry Lube.

They are a brand we represent. Once I tried them, I have kept using them (been a long time since I used #9). I've been using Breakfree CLP for 30+ years, bit that is being replaced by the O85.

That's some good information to know. I've been looking for something less odoriferous than what I currently use, so I will have to check their stuff out.

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Gb1XExdm.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users