Shoot Point Blank does not accept NRA Basic Pistol Course toward 16 CCW Credit

j28791

I've called and asked to double check and Shoot Point Blank in Naperville, IL doesn't accept the NRA Basic Pistol Course as credit toward the CCW License. My understanding after speaking with them and being very clear that the ISP website says the NRA Basic Pistol Course counts for 8hrs...is that they will not accept it. Military are fine though you can skip to 2nd day class.

He said I can talk to corporate and try and work something out to get an exemption but they won't honor it and he asked others there to confirm that they won't honor it.

I've been a range member since they opened and go there almost weekly. They are GREAT people and very friendly, BUT they are still very new and do many things there that don't make sense. Call again and talk to someone else. You will probably get a different answer. OR call another Point Blank in IL and ask them. If they accept NRA course, then call corporate.

I've been a range member since they opened and go there almost weekly. They are GREAT people and very friendly, BUT they are still very new and do many things there that don't make sense. Call again and talk to someone else. You will probably get a different answer. OR call another Point Blank in IL and ask them. If they accept NRA course, then call corporate.

Their employees are not taught enough about it. When I called I specifically asked him who the best and most knowledgeable person would be to speak to about CCW permit questions. He said Megan (she's in charge of the classes) but she was busy. He put me on hold and asked her and she confirmed it. It's possible she might not know for sure either but she is in charge of the classes! I also called corporate and no matter what option I pick it doesn't go to anyone (goes to voice mail)

I will be going there to use the range next week so I'll just talk to them in person.

https://www.shoppointblank.com/collections/naperville-academy/products/naperville-il-illinois-day-2-ccw

Day 2: 6 hours of hands-on classroom learning and two hours of range time, topics covered:

• Firearm Concealed Carry Act
  • Concealed carry techniques and classroom drills
  • 2 hours of instructor led range time

Both days equal 16 hours of instruction. If students have no prior credit, please visit Day 1 on the website.

Note: Course has an allotted 30 minute lunch period. You may bring a lunch with you or you may go out for lunch; however, the 30 minute time is rigid and cannot be extended.

• Classes are limited to the first 20 students.
  • Rent or bring your own firearm
  • Course requires 100 rounds of ammunition

Academy course cancellation policies apply.

ALL STUDENTS MUST HAVE VALID FOID CARD IN ORDER TO PARTICIPATE IN CLASS. NO REFUNDS WILL BE GIVEN TO STUDENTS WHO DO NOT HAVE A FOID CARD.

STUDENTS MUST PROVIDE COPIES OF CERTIFICATES FOR PRIOR TRAINING. STUDENTS WITHOUT DOCUMENTATION WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO TAKE THE COURSE AND WILL NOT BE ISSUED A REFUND.

The above is from their website, I highlighted the portion in red. It might be referring to people who took Day 1 to show their certificate??

What I don't understand is how a four hour Basic Handgun class could count as an eight hour CCW class.

Because it's a scam. They deliberately leave out that part on the product page and FAQ page that it's not a complete course and requires additional instructor lead training. They tell you that at the end of the course.

To make it count you would take the online portion for $60 in 4-8hrs or however long it takes you. (go at your own pace)

Then you must pay additional money and put time toward an 8 instructor lead portion which is about $150 if you go to the one in Oak Park, IL. CCW classes go for around $200 here. In other words I would've saved more money and time just buying the 16 hr course by itself.

What you completed on line was a Blended Basic Pistol Safety class through the NRA. After completing the on line portion you must find a NRA instructor that is willing to give you however much instruction your require to meet the proficiency test. Some folks will require more than others. He will then issue you a NRA Basic Pistol completion certificate that most all ILCC instructors will accept for the first 8 hour credit toward your Concealed Carry. I know of no instructors that would give you 8 hours credit for the completion of the on line portion only. You must get with an NRA instructor to finish the course and that would not require another 8 hours of instruction. It is entirely at the discretion of the NRA instructor as to how much additional instruction is required to complete the course standard. Hope this helps and it might explain some of the confusion with the statement of the other range.

Go and take both days. You paid for it might as well enjoy being around some like minded folk, have a nice lunch and relax. I could have skipped it with my 2214 (discharged) papers but attended and learned a bit too.

Or as mentioned find another class from the instructors on deck on this forum.

What you completed on line was a Blended Basic Pistol Safety class through the NRA. After completing the on line portion you must find a NRA instructor that is willing to give you however much instruction your require to meet the proficiency test. Some folks will require more than others. He will then issue you a NRA Basic Pistol completion certificate that most all ILCC instructors will accept for the first 8 hour credit toward your Concealed Carry. I know of no instructors that would give you 8 hours credit for the completion of the on line portion only. You must get with an NRA instructor to finish the course and that would not require another 8 hours of instruction. It is entirely at the discretion of the NRA instructor as to how much additional instruction is required to complete the course standard. Hope this helps and it might explain some of the confusion with the statement of the other range.

The range won't accept the NRA Basic Pistol Course no matter how much time you spend with the NRA instructor to "complete the course". They will not accept it if Yoda himself completes your training. Shoot Point Blank (as far as I understand) will only accept Military and Police to skip to Day 2, everyone else must take both classes.

I agree with Hap. It's not their choice to decline approved curriculum.

They can fail a student based on competency, but just the same as the law requires that an honorably discharged veteran receive 8 hours credit, the law says an applicant shall receive 8 hours credit for prior training approved by the department. BP is approved by the department.

They can fail a student based on competency, but just the same as the law requires that an honorably discharged veteran receive 8 hours credit, the law says an applicant shall receive 8 hours credit for prior training approved by the department. BP is approved by the department.

It seems to me that Shoot Point Blank is operating in violation of the law and should be reported to the ISP.

Does a competent person here want to give them a call? Corporate number is on their website but I couldn't get anyone to pickup, went to voicemail.

Does a competent person here want to give them a call? Corporate number is on their website but I couldn't get anyone to pickup, went to voicemail.

You're not going to get anywhere arguing with a corporate HQ. It might be time to move on.

I'm probably still going to take my concealed carry there anyway since I got mislead and basically scammed by the NRA Basic Pistol Course. They don't tell you that the course is not complete. You must pay for additional training from an NRA instructor to "complete" the course which I haven't done yet and don't plan to. Concealed Carry in this area costs about $200. I would've been better off putting the $60 I wasted on the NRA Basic Pistol Course toward my Concealed Carry Permit to begin with. Now I must waste additional time and money to get my Conceal Carry Permit.

NRA is deliberately vague about the scam Basic Pistol Course on the webpage. I even read the FAQ before purchasing. If I had known additional training was required I would've not purchased it. They withheld information from me to get me to purchase, this is the definition of fraud.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/fraud

If you feel the NRA cheated you, contact John Howard with your problem, he is the head of NRA Training. This is his email address. jhoward@nrahq.org

It looks to me like you were looking for a short cut in the training requirement. The blended training site says it is the First Step, what did you expect for the next step, the Concealed Carry Fairy to show up with you license? I think you out smarted yourself. It`s time to move on.

FWIW I charge $60 to finish the blended learning requirement.

Now I understand this and Point Blank is correct. You did not take the 8 hour instructor Basic Pistol class, but a blended computer/instructor class. The 8 hour instructor led class counts towards 8 hours of CCL training. The blended training does not. Illinois requires 16 hours of classroom.

Just take the 16 hour class. I got the military waiver for 8 hours, but then after I got my CCL, I sat in on an 8 hour instructor led Basic Pistol class with my son when he was 15. I enjoyed the refresher.

Now I understand this and Point Blank is correct. You did not take the 8 hour instructor Basic Pistol class, but a blended computer/instructor class. The 8 hour instructor led class counts towards 8 hours of CCL training. The blended training does not. Illinois requires 16 hours of classroom.

Just take the 16 hour class. I got the military waiver for 8 hours, but then after I got my CCL, I sat in on an 8 hour instructor led Basic Pistol class with my son when he was 15. I enjoyed the refresher.

The ISP accepts NRA Basic Pistol no matter which version the student took, blended OR completely instructor led.

The ISP accepts NRA Basic Pistol no matter which version the student took, blended OR completely instructor led.

They do but they shouldn't as NRA Instructors rightfully pointed out, you don't know who completed the online portion of the Basic Pistol Course. A husband might go through it twice because his wife is too busy and they both go finish the instructor lead portion of the course. (you must complete the instructor lead portion for it to count, this costs additional money and it not clear on their Scam product page for the course or in the FAQ)

From the NRA online training site:

"The course is the first steps for you to obtain the proper certification for your concealed carry permit in some states. Be sure to contact your county, city or state to find out whether this course fulfills the requirement."

Might be hard for some to understand but where`s the scam?

Sure the scam is that the course for $60 is not complete. Additional training for more money is required by an NRA instructor to "complete" your training. The course will not count toward your CCW until you complete the instructor lead portion., They do not make this clear on their product page or their FAQ page about the course.

https://basicpistol.nra.org/

Where's the scam? Not only do they have that disclaimer, they also have links to the state laws about guns as well so one can research this.

I see options for instructor led and online courses.

The scam is that they don't clearly state that the course for $60 by itself is not enough to complete your training. Additional training is required by an NRA Instructor. At that point it can be accepted toward your 16hr conceal carry license.

Archived