ISP's Person To Person Transfers

Jwolf

Yes to both. Instant approval or decline. Print the resulting pdf form and fill out 2 copies one for each party. In addition I typically also print out a bill of sale but not really required. Once approved the 72 hour clock starts as a minimum wait period for handguns. Good for 30 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, i've heard of folks mentioning that "doesn't the clock start upon intent to purchase" - I've never seen that written anywhere. Also, might be hard to prove "intent to purchase" in court - if you run the FOID that DOES start a clock on a computer at the ISP and is a much safer fall back unless you plan to keep any emails or texts for 10 years - might work, but why risk it, IMO. If you buy from an FFL, you can't just say on Thursday "i intend to purchase that" then sign the 4473 form on Sunday and expect to walk out with it. They have to call your FOID into and wait 72 hours. I feel that is the safer method to just not have any air of trying to shirk the time requirement.

this is a nice pamphlet on IL P2P gun transfers. https://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/firearms052104.pdf

Here you go: https://ispffl.com/Public/FAQ.aspx (Click off the dealer alert and then click on the blue link for the full content.)

Here's what one of the bullet points states:

• Can a customer call up and order a firearm over the phone, then come in and pick up the firearm later? The waiting period begins when the buyer and seller reach an agreement. FFLs need to document how the waiting period was observed. The documentation needs to be verifiable and consistent with each purchaser.

Oh, i've heard of folks mentioning that "doesn't the clock start upon intent to purchase" - I've never seen that written anywhere. Also, might be hard to prove "intent to purchase" in court - if you run the FOID that DOES start a clock on a computer at the ISP and is a much safer fall back unless you plan to keep any emails or texts for 10 years - might work, but why risk it, IMO. If you buy from an FFL, you can't just say on Thursday "i intend to purchase that" then sign the 4473 form on Sunday and expect to walk out with it. They have to call your FOID into and wait 72 hours. I feel that is the safer method to just not have any air of trying to shirk the time requirement.

this is a nice pamphlet on IL P2P gun transfers. https://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/firearms052104.pdf

There was a time I could call my favorite dealer on Thursday and give him my credit card number, order a hand gun and pick it up on Monday. I WAS able to fill out the 4473 when I picked up the gun. While legal the state examiners nixed that practice years ago. They want more proof of intent to buy than the credit card receipt.

Yes to both. Instant approval or decline. Print the resulting pdf form and fill out 2 copies one for each party. In addition I typically also print out a bill of sale but not really required. Once approved the 72 hour clock starts as a minimum wait period for handguns. Good for 30 days. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

72 hours for any gun.

According to 720 ILCS 5/24-3(g) the waiting period of 24 or 72 hours does not begin until after its application for purchase has been made. The statute defines "application" as:

"For purposes of this paragraph (g), "application" means when the buyer and seller reach an agreement to purchase a firearm."

In People vs. Hurtado, 208 Ill.App.3d 110 (2nd District, 1991), the Second District Appellate Court took the position that "application" was a "request". The court said:

"We therefore conclude that the legislature intended that the term "application" have the meaning of "request" and the statutory requirement is an informal request to purchase a firearm. Since we believe the legislature intended that "application" mean "request," we shall use the terms "application" and "request" interchangeably. "

GTFOOI and this topic becomes irrelevant drivel.

Actually, it is irrelevant drivel. Basic BS that the suckers in this state have normalized over the last 50 years or so.

When I depart (it’s looking like spring/summer) I’ll be sure to crumple up all

Illinois Foid records and use them to start the wood stove

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone used ISP's 'Person to Person Transfer', on their website? Is it quick and easy to use? Is there a waiting period on getting an approval number or is it instant? It looks to be a simple process, is it? [/size]

It is quick and fairly easy.

Fairly easy? Other than entering buyers FOID # & date of birth is there more to it?

Has anyone used ISP's 'Person to Person Transfer', on their website? Is it quick and easy to use? Is there a waiting period on getting an approval number or is it instant? It looks to be a simple process, is it? [/size]

It is quick and fairly easy.

Fairly easy? Other than entering buyers FOID # & date of birth is there more to it?

Nope.

If someone buys more than one gun from you do you need to just get 1 approval code or a different code for each additional?

The ISP website says the approval number is valid for 30 days, thus IMO any transfers by the same two people within that 30 days can all fall under the same approval number since the approval number itself is not firearm specific and just a validation of the FOID card. Just print or copy off several of the approval forms for your own records. Receipts, records and waiting periods would be applicable for each individual firearms transfered under the single FOID validation number.

There was a time I could call my favorite dealer on Thursday and give him my credit card number, order a hand gun and pick it up on Monday. I WAS able to fill out the 4473 when I picked up the gun. While legal the state examiners nixed that practice years ago. They want more proof of intent to buy than the credit card receipt.

Perfectly legal, as a home-based FFL this is how I do it. I use the CC receipt to start the clock, I write a receipt w/the CC time on it and time stamp my own receipt. Then, I email it the the customer and we are good. Same concept as if you were to buy it online; pay for it w/CC, receive confirmation, get an emailed receipt sent to you.

Ernesto A Alcala-Owner

Ernie's Arms Accessories

Phone: (312) 217-3863

Email: ealcala_6110@sbcglobal.net

If someone buys more than one gun from you do you need to just get 1 approval code or a different code for each additional?

The ISP website says the approval number is valid for 30 days, thus IMO any transfers by the same two people within that 30 days can all fall under the same approval number since the approval number itself is not firearm specific and just a validation of the FOID card. Just print or copy off several of the approval forms for your own records. Receipts, records and waiting periods would be applicable for each individual firearms transfered under the single FOID validation number.

After you print out the approval form there is an additional info request. WEAPON INFORMATION; Make, Model, & Serial # for (1) gun only.

After you print out the approval form there is an additional info request. WEAPON INFORMATION; Make, Model, & Serial # for (1) gun only.

I believe Flynn is correct.

I see the specific gun info fields, which are not transmitted to ISP, as a convenience for the seller's records, which must be maintained for ten years.

As said I consider that a convience bill of sale for your records, not a request as it's only for your own records, print out several copies if you do multiple transfers within the same 30 days with the same 30 day 'FOID is Valid' approval number.

Archived