Foid Renewal Wait Time

• 3 weeks later...

I applied for a new FOID card on March 16th. Today is day 45 and when I check the status it still says under review. I have contacted the ISP, both by phone (5 times) and email (9 times) and have never got a response. I have reached out to my state representatives and have only got a response of them saying they are reviewing my inquiry. I am being forgotten by a broken system. I lived in other states and owned firearms there. It was never a nightmare like it is here. I do not own any firearms now as I got rid of them when I went to college. I never thought in a million years that somebody with a clean record would have this much trouble trying to purchase a firearm. If anybody knows any other approach to getting them to speed up the approval process please let me know. Because 45 days in when it legally states that they have 30days to approve or deny my application is not only ridiculous it is illegal.

I applied for a new FOID card on March 16th. Today is day 45 and when I check the status it still says under review. I have contacted the ISP, both by phone (5 times) and email (9 times) and have never got a response. I have reached out to my state representatives and have only got a response of them saying they are reviewing my inquiry. I am being forgotten by a broken system. I lived in other states and owned firearms there. It was never a nightmare like it is here. I do not own any firearms now as I got rid of them when I went to college. I never thought in a million years that somebody with a clean record would have this much trouble trying to purchase a firearm. If anybody knows any other approach to getting them to speed up the approval process please let me know. Because 45 days in when it legally states that they have 30days to approve or deny my application is not only ridiculous it is illegal.

It's possible the card was sent and lost in the mail or it could be the skeleton crew running the FOID Dept. and printer. The ISP suggests you contact them if you have not received your FOID within 30 days of going active. Please update us at that time and if it still has not appeared, we may have options available.

It's possible the card was sent and lost in the mail or it could be the skeleton crew running the FOID Dept. and printer. The ISP suggests you contact them if you have not received your FOID within 30 days of going active. Please update us at that time and if it still has not appeared, we may have options available.

Looks like he tried that already...

Sorry in advance, but he doesn’t say the FOID is active

He states it’s still under review

So until active it’s not a lost mail or 30 days for worry

Yes, the ISP is very inefficient, but reading all the posts will bring us back to the same problem......

They are not, nor will they get a FOID out in 30 days

After the thousand or so posts about everyone who hadn’t gotten a FOID in 30 days, it’s amazing that we still think we will be getting one in 30 days!

private message sent.

• 3 weeks later...

Said it before... I'll say it again...

A right delayed is a right denied.....

Why hasnt any lawyer with nads bigger than a mosquito brought a case against the state on the behalf of its citizens?

(Well...it may conclude...that any IL lawyer thats calls themselves friends of 2A.....are getting getting cuck'd by insects...)

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I'd throw my 2 cents in since I've read a lot of this forum, first of all thank you everyone for the knowledge, the feedback has been awesome.

I applied on May 8th for my initial, and have been checking the ISP site, the Inspect Element trick shows Submitted in black but QC and Approved are both gray, so after 31 days that basically means they haven't even looked at it yet! I was able to get on the phone yesterday after a two-hour wait, the lady who helped me was really nice but she didn't say anything that wasn't on the website and there still hasn't been any kind of status change today. I was hoping for at least QC Verified since she mentioned yesterday that it looked ok, but she also mentioned that realistically it is 2-3 months for the wait.

I want to rant and rave because of how ridiculous this is, but I know there are probably a million applications they have to get through. That said, the facts that we have to wait for an ID that isn't a legal ID and that an accredited FFL can't just access a state database is ridiculous. But, but, how will you know it is them?! Ugh, come on already, if a person has no record it shouldn't take a month to check a blank piece of paper.

Thanks to Molly and everyone for the help, I'll update as I get them.

Lost my wallet last month. Filled out the *notarized* affidavit as required by law (!!!) saying I lost it. Paid my $80. I will note that I originally submitted the optional fingerprints, and that I have a clean criminal record.

Now it's over 30 days (filed 5/8), I can't contact ISP FSB (automated phone just says 'sorry try later' once you finally try to get a human), My (supposedly) constitutionally-protected right is still denied, with threat of severe criminal penalty.

My replacement drivers license came in the mail within days.

Called my IL congressional rep, they're like "sorry we can't help"

Why is there not a lawsuit about this yet?

I'm at 10 months for initial FOID and 6 months for address change. I never even received the original but since contacting my congressman he said my original is "still valid". Well not really since I never got anything in the mail. What can I do at this point? My state representatives are useless in helping me and the ISP is impossible to contact.

Well what I was trying to say is the clock starts over with the change

And if while Im here if you dont mind....

Ive said this for 5 plus years now. Why arent ALL instructors telling people about IC here and then some would get better info before stuff happens!

Anyway, Welcome to the Forums and Good Luck

Starts over for what? It's been 6 months already regardless. I just want a FOID I don't need to see an instructor for anything. This state is a complete joke and I'm looking for a lawyer. 6 years active duty infantry and I need a ******* ID card to own a weapon.

Archived