Homeless people are unable to obtain FOID cards.

borgranta

should law abiding homeless be allowed firearms on a case by case basis?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Should the homeless be allowed their 2nd amendment rights?

• Yes
    • No
    • let the courts decide

If a person does not have a place to safely secure a weapon when sleeping then they shouldn't be carrying. Should disarm the military then...
I really want to understand the logic behind this one. As a Marine I became accustomed to sleeping with my rifle in my sleeping bag. I don't know of any place more safe than to have your firearm with you.

I think it is mostly a moot point. Most homeless people are not legally going top be able to own firearms anyway. Those that can are probably going to be selling whatever possessions they have including firearms..I have my FOID and my CCL. What if I became homeless in June. Lost my income. Lost my house. Waiting 4 years to get Social Security. Can't afford to rent or stay anywhere. Sell all my stuff plus all but one of my guns.Should I not be allowed to Keep or Bear because I no longer have an address?Seems like being constantly closer to at risk situations heightens the need for personal armed security. If you move you are required to report your new address to the state to get your state ID card changed. And your FOID card. And your FCCL. That is part of existing law. You can't get past that short of some court or legislative action. I think you can get the fee waived for the state ID on the basis of homelessness, but not the FOID or FCCL address change fees. This I know. There SHOULD be an option without a lawsuit... How could a homeless person with only one gun afford to sue? On the other hand, how would they take my FOID/CCL if they could not find me at my address... There should be a way. Those with no income shouldn't lose a constitutional right. We need 50 state constitutional carry.
ACLU or an attorney working on their volunteer hours required by the State Bar Association to maintain their license.

If a person does not have a place to safely secure a weapon when sleeping then they shouldn't be carrying. Should disarm the military then...

I really want to understand the logic behind this one. As a Marine I became accustomed to sleeping with my rifle in my sleeping bag. I don't know of any place more safe than to have your firearm with you.

I think it is mostly a moot point. Most homeless people are not legally going top be able to own firearms anyway. Those that can are probably going to be selling whatever possessions they have including firearms..I have my FOID and my CCL. What if I became homeless in June. Lost my income. Lost my house. Waiting 4 years to get Social Security. Can't afford to rent or stay anywhere. Sell all my stuff plus all but one of my guns.Should I not be allowed to Keep or Bear because I no longer have an address?Seems like being constantly closer to at risk situations heightens the need for personal armed security. If you move you are required to report your new address to the state to get your state ID card changed. And your FOID card. And your FCCL. That is part of existing law. You can't get past that short of some court or legislative action. I think you can get the fee waived for the state ID on the basis of homelessness, but not the FOID or FCCL address change fees. This I know. There SHOULD be an option without a lawsuit... How could a homeless person with only one gun afford to sue? On the other hand, how would they take my FOID/CCL if they could not find me at my address... There should be a way. Those with no income shouldn't lose a constitutional right. We need 50 state constitutional carry.

ACLU or an attorney working on their volunteer hours required by the State Bar Association to maintain their license.

I think you made his point.

Should they be able to get a FOID?

If they are homeless because of drugs, or mental issues, or being a felon, no.

If they are homeless because of financial issues only then yes.

Besides, one can store a gun in a safe deposit box. Just because they're homeless doesn't mean 100% of their worldly possessions are with them.

• 8 months later...

Some seniors, after retirement become RV "fulltimers" - they sell their house, buy an RV and stay at campgrounds all over the US, as well as returning to IL to visit kids and friends. They keep Illinois as their residence, but when they sell their house, the street address goes away. In my case I have always had a PO Box as we do not have street mail delivery, but my FOID requires that I put the street address on it. I am retired and have an RV and I am not planning on selling my house, but I wonder how this would work with the FOID as well as my CCL?

I have a safe mounted in my RV to store my "good stuff".

Some seniors, after retirement become RV "fulltimers" - they sell their house, buy an RV and stay at campgrounds all over the US, as well as returning to IL to visit kids and friends. They keep Illinois as their residence, but when they sell their house, the street address goes away. In my case I have always had a PO Box as we do not have street mail delivery, but my FOID requires that I put the street address on it. I am retired and have an RV and I am not planning on selling my house, but I wonder how this would work with the FOID as well as my CCL?

I have a safe mounted in my RV to store my "good stuff".

You would also have a vehicle registration issue if you sold your home. How would you solve that problem? Apply the solution to FOID. Problem solved.

The very problem with the thread is that is says homeless people don't have addresses. Again (and, this is where I feel I'm beating a dead horse), just because you don't have a home doesn't mean you don't have an address. Homeless shelters happily help homeless people by telling them to list the shelter address as the location they are living, and will receive and hold mail for homeless persons.

Is there anybody else here that has real experience in being homeless, other than myself? Please stand up. I'm waiting. I'd like to see if I'm the only one talking from real world experience.

The point is: If you haven't lived through it, you don't know what you're talking about. It is not something you simply "get over" like the common cold. It sticks with you your entire life. It is a memory you never forget. And, because of the experience I'd be willing to bet I'd know how to handle myself, and care for my family, should real shtf. Everybody else is just speculating on this issue. The real question is, "How does a homeless person handle obtaining a FOID Card?" Not a flat out, "They are being denied their 2A Rights." Saying that is completely false. I have already said how. I shouldn't have to repeat myself. The Grey areas I think more focus should be paid attention to are how a homeless person FOID transports a firearm versus concealed carry. But, to be honest, $150, plus the ~$200 for training, will definitely be spent on something far more important such as food and clothing. I'll tell you right now that a 1 month allotment for food stamps won't provide for a homeless person beyond 2 weeks. Why? Food Stamp allotments don't take into consideration that homeless people cannot prepare their own food due to lack of facilities, therefore they have to purchase the more expensive already prepared foods. That $350 is going elsewhere. And, I'll argue the same thing with the much lower fees of obtaining a Utah Concealed Firearms Permit, at Utah resident prices of ~$100.

Can a homeless person get a free Obama-Phone? Then the homeless person, if they are otherwise not disqualified, should be able to get a free Obama-Gun. Looking at it another way, the democrats feel the homeless are valuable enough to bus to voting sites and give them free cartons of cigarettes as a reward for voting. Should we then not also honor the value of the homeless by extending their constitutional right to keep and bare firearms?

Can a homeless person get a free Obama-Phone? Then the homeless person, if they are otherwise not disqualified, should be able to get a free Obama-Gun. Looking at it another way, the democrats feel the homeless are valuable enough to bus to voting sites and give them free cartons of cigarettes as a reward for voting. Should we then not also honor the value of the homeless by extending their constitutional right to keep and bare firearms?
Doesn't need to be extended.

Would the FOID act be able to be declared unconstitutional since the application requires a person to provide an address?
I'm not an attorney, so I'm not going to argue either way. I'm just going to point out (again) that homeless shelters allow homeless persons to use their address as residency, receive mail, etc, etc.

Would homeless plaintiffs be able to sue demanding the right to openly carry on the grounds that the UUW does not explicitly ban open carry on foot?
1) Find them an attorney that'll take the case. The homeless have a stigma, whether it's earned or not, that they did something to put themselves into that position, and that something isn't a positive thing.2) They'd have to have lawful possession of a firearm prior to becoming homeless. If they did happen to have that firearm while homeless the argument made against them is why didn't they sell that firearm in order to have the funds to not become homeless.

Archived