Evanston to re-enact its gun ban?

johnyt101

Even when they repealed it, they stated they would be examining the issue more closely.

We all have to realize that for now, these local municipal bans are legal ... legal via IL constitution because of Illinois home rule ... and because they have been ruled legal in the IL Supreme court and in the 7th district federal circuit court. So ... by case law these bans remain legal. Evanston knows that.

What appears to be happening is that some ban municipalities just don't want to spend the $$ fighting, or are not confident that the pro-bono will be cost-effective enough. This is the path taken by Morton Grove and Wilmette. Others, like Chicago (with more resources ... even though they are in huge debt), and Oak Park are pretty determined to fight for their bans. They have been promised "free" legal representation. So Evanston sits on the fence ... it might choose to remain like MG and Wilmette, or might choose to join Chicago and Oak Park.

In the end it will matter little ... but in the mean-time it will matter to those Evanston residents who wish to keep a handgun for protect, knowing that they have a right to do so thats protected under the 2A.

Even when they repealed it, they stated they would be examining the issue more closely.

We all have to realize that for now, these local municipal bans are legal ... legal via IL constitution because of Illinois home rule ... and because they have been ruled legal in the IL Supreme court and in the 7th district federal circuit court. So ... by case law these bans remain legal. Evanston knows that.

What appears to be happening is that some ban municipalities just don't want to spend the $$ fighting, or are not confident that the pro-bono will be cost-effective enough. This is the path taken by Morton Grove and Wilmette. Others, like Chicago (with more resources ... even though they are in huge debt), and Oak Park are pretty determined to fight for their bans. They have been promised "free" legal representation. So Evanston sits on the fence ... it might choose to remain like MG and Wilmette, or might choose to join Chicago and Oak Park.

In the end it will matter little ... but in the mean-time it will matter to those Evanston residents who wish to keep a handgun for protect, knowing that they have a right to do so thats protected under the 2A.

Too late - I already bought a handgun legally and I'm not giving it up. Please forgive my French, but f*ck these Marxist lowlife scumbags.

Sam

Too late - I already bought a handgun legally and I'm not giving it up.

:-) I take it that you fall into this camp:

those Evanston residents who wish to keep a handgun for protect, knowing that they have a right to do so thats protected under the 2A.

Human language cannot convey how p***** I am about the possibility that Evanston is considering putting the ban back in place. What would happen to me if they do? Will I be the next guy you see on the news, barricaded in his home with FBI and SWAT teams outside? I can feel my blood pressure rising as I type this.

Do we have any lawyers on this board who might be able to shed some light on what the city of Evanston might be up against if they do decide to put the ban back on the books? Is there really such a thing as "pro-bono" legal help? Would the city be hurt (in some way) by following this path?

:Angry!:

On a much happier note, I just spent the weekend in Tampa with my Mom & Dad.....Dad and I put $300 worth of ammo through the guns (he keeps for us there) on two separate trips to the range. The Bersa never jammed once, and my groupings are getting tighter all the time. I also got to fire my Mom's new Beretta Tomcat .32 and absolutely loved it.

Sam

What would happen to me if they do? Will I be the next guy you see on the news, barricaded in his home with FBI and SWAT teams outside? I can feel my blood pressure rising as I type this.

Keep it safe and keep it secret. You purchased it, they can't take it from you. That's your money, don't loose it.

I agree with that. When cook county passed their AWB there was no grandfather clause. You either move it out of the county, destroy it, or don't let them know you have it. I do not advocate the latter, as it is illegal and you can be charged. Have a friend with a safe and FOID outside of the limits that can store it for you.

Archived