Austin TX fined $9k for banning OC at City Hall

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lockman

• Members
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:57 AM

https://www.breitbar...s-at-city-hall/

On Thursday, the Travis County District Court ruled that the City of Austin, Texas, violated the law by barring handguns in City Hall and assessed a nine million dollar penalty against the city for the violation.

The concealed carry of handguns has been legal in Texas for decades and open carry for Texas’ concealed handgun license holders became legal on January 1, 2016.

In the January 17, 2019, ruling, Judge Lora J. Livingston explained that the Plaintiff was able to show that open carry was refused on April 4, 2016, April 6, 2016, April 12, 2016, July 1, 2016, July 29, 2016, and September 7, 2016. Judge Livingston ruled that the Defendants did not prove why City Hall should be treated differently among other public areas in  Texas, writing, “Defendants did not meet their burden to establish an exception to Section 411.209(a) on any of the dates” that open carry was refused.

"We must, indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1776

Life Member NRA, ISRA,  CCRKBA, GOA, & SAF

#2 mikew

• Members
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:29 PM

We sure ain't in Texas.

And I'm not sure that Austin is anymore.

#3 Squints08

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:29 PM

9 million! Slightly different sum than 9k. Oh Texas.

#4 lockman

• Members
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:49 PM

9 million! Slightly different sum than 9k. Oh Texas.

Livingston assessed a $1,500 fine for each of the six violations, with the result that the City of Austin owes a total of $9,000.

conflicting amounts in the story.

"We must, indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately."

#5 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:49 PM

$9,000 is certainly better than nothing, and the court decision is valuable in itself. I hope on appeal that it is upheld.

Now, that needs to happen is that the actual PEOPLE involved with making the violating decision in the Austin government need to be made liable for the fine amounts, so that it's not just taxpayer money being thrown at this.

Otherwise, even if they do lose on appeal, there really is no incentive for the PEOPLE making those illegal decisions to change their behavior.

Hit them where it hurts THEM personally, and the stupidity will stop.

"A well educated Media, being necessary for the preservation of a free State, the right of the people to keep and read books, shall not be infringed."

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary for the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Who gets to keep and read books? The Media? Or is it the People?

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

InX89li.jpg

#6 oohrah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 02:14 PM

Unlike IL, all publicly owned places must allow carry, open or concealed, except courts.

You can even carry into the Capitol and bypass the metal detectors by showing your license.  We have had several local governments try to post anyway and have had their hands slapped.

USMC, Retired
Waco, Texas
Texas LTC
Illinois CCL
SASS 105352

#7 SiliconSorcerer

• Members
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 02:18 PM

$9,000 is certainly better than nothing, and the court decision is valuable in itself. I hope on appeal that it is upheld.

I didn't see lawyer/court costs in that judgement.  The guy might need a donor sight to cover the losses..

9K doesn't go far. 

You give peace a chance; I'll cover you if it doesn't work out.

NRA Benefactor Member

Gun Owners of America

Remington Society of America Life Member

Ruger Collectors Association Life Member

Texas Gun Collector Honorary Member

Colt Collectors Association Honorary Member

Ruger Society Honorary Member

etc etc etc

#8 JTHunter

• Members
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:55 PM

That amount of money is a paltry sum that doesn't even qualify as a "slap on the wrist".  They will just up their fees and make that money back in less than a month - if that long.

“We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.” - - Abraham Lincoln

“Small minds adhere to the letter of the law; great minds dispense Justice.” - - S. C. Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes

Life member NAHC, Endowment member NRA

#9 lockman

• Members
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:22 AM

That amount of money is a paltry sum that doesn't even qualify as a "slap on the wrist".  They will just up their fees and make that money back in less than a month - if that long.

In Wisconsin after the courts started assessing penalties things changed. Two police officers filed bankruptcy to avoid financial ruin in a sec. 1983 lawsuit filed against the officers ( the department was not named in the suite ).

^ this ***

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users