Interesting Slip hidden in the Ranting against Kavanaugh Nomination

cybermgk

Beyond the ranting of the end of freedom, women's right, milk souring and every other evil they can come up with to throw at Judge Kavanaugh, they have also been ranting about the fact that he is very pro 2A.

But, in that last subject, they are letting slip an inherent truth in their ranting. Schumar, among others have ranted, "say goodbye to any chance for 'common sense gun laws'".

Let's look at that for a moment. If someone fears that a SCOTUS that adheres to the Constitution, it's meaning, what it's intentions are, would rule against their 'common sense gun law', then they intrinsically know, their 'common sense gun law' is unconstitutional.

And, by saying the above rant, they are admitting that they know they are trying to bypass the Constitution and create unconstitutional laws.

Now, will John and Jane Q Public hear this?

And, by saying the above rant, they are admitting that they know they are trying to bypass the Constitution and create unconstitutional laws.

I have said as much more than once on this site. The antis want guns gone, period. They know exactly what the 2A represents. Since it would be next to impossible to change it they try to reinterpret it to justify their actions.

I even take issue with the term "common sense" when it comes to legislation, for two reasons.

First, "common sense" sounds like it's appealing to reason, but it's usually not. Lots of people on both sides of a lot of issues use the phrase "common sense" when they actually don't have a rational argument to support their position. They make an unsupported ideological assertion and just say "It's common sense," which, without a rational argument, really means it's an emotional appeal.

I also see the opposite on Internet forums quite a bit, too. If someone presents a logical, fact-based argument for some position, someone else asserts "That doesn't make any sense," but then fails to describe how, even qualitatively, the logic of the position fails. "Sensibility" in modern terms appears to have become "agreement," so "That doesn't make sense" really just means "I disagree with you, and I don't have to say why," while "It's common sense" means "Everyone must agree with me, and I don't have to say why."

Second, I never want to have "common sense" laws, especially ones that suspend civil liberties. In a constitutional democracy, laws are subject to varying levels of judicial scrutiny based on their scope and effect. The least strict review of a law is called "rational basis," because there's a federal law that specifies no law, even state and local law, should be arbitrary or capricious. The law has to have some rational basis, even an unsupported ideological assertion. That's why a lot of anti-2As want only rational basis review of anti-gun laws.

The next level, medium scrutiny, requires that there actually has to be some factual evidence to support that the law is effective at achieving its stated goal. The highest level, strict scrutiny, requires that the law is narrowly tailored. The Supreme Court has said that any law which attempts to limit constitutionally guaranteed rights must automatically invoke strict scrutiny. I believe it was Scalia that said that, if the only thing required to suspend a constitutionally protected civil liberty is a good reason, then the constitutional protection of that civil liberty is meaningless.

So I never want common sense gun laws. I want any guns laws to meet a higher standard.

I saw some idiot in a comment section the other day preaching that 80% of Americans want "common sense" gun laws. And it was the top comment in that conversation.

But of course when you push them to define what "common sense" means you find that nobody can agree on what constitutes "common sense" or what that even means.

Its just a really good tag line that at most has 50% approval for anyone whose a leftist.

I saw some idiot in a comment section the other day preaching that 80% of Americans want "common sense" gun laws. And it was the top comment in that conversation.

But of course when you push them to define what "common sense" means you find that nobody can agree on what constitutes "common sense" or what that even means.

Its just a really good tag line that at most has 50% approval for anyone whose a leftist.

Any type of response you want, you can find if you look hard enough. I heard on radio news yesterday a talking head say the Republicans just want to legislate from the bench yet that is exactly how we got Obummercare.

That stat comes from polls that ask questions like "If a common sense gun law was passed that would reduce school shootings would you be for it?". Most say yes, nd the ones against it, know the question for what it is and answer negatively.

That stat comes from polls that ask questions like "If a common sense gun law was passed that would reduce school shootings would you be for it?". Most say yes, nd the ones against it, know the question for what it is and answer negatively.

A more seemingly-specific one is "Do you think it should be illegal for people with a history of convictions for violent crimes such as rape and murder to buy handguns?"

If you answer "Yes," you have just contributed to the statistic that a majority of people support strong gun control legislation.

And what sane person would answer "No" to that question?

Unbiased polling organizations exist, but most "polls" aren't anything of the sort. Some are data brokers trying to collect your private information, although that's a whole other problem. Many are marketing organizations who try to influence you through slanted questions rather than to collect your opinion. When they tell you what organization they represent, if you don't recognize it, just assume it's a scam. Even if you do recognize it, it could be a lie.

Hearing Dick Durbin grill judicial nominees makes my blood boil.

It is obvious that Durbin has no idea what the role of a senator is, and its obvious that he has nothing but disdain for the United States Constitution. He is a haughty tyrant, and his arrogant attitude is never clearer than when he's talking down to judicial nominees.

A more seemingly-specific one is "Do you think it should be illegal for people with a history of convictions for violent crimes such as rape and murder to buy handguns?"

If you answer "Yes," you have just contributed to the statistic that a majority of people support strong gun control legislation.

And what sane person would answer "No" to that question?

Unbiased polling organizations exist, but most "polls" aren't anything of the sort. Some are data brokers trying to collect your private information, although that's a whole other problem. Many are marketing organizations who try to influence you through slanted questions rather than to collect your opinion. When they tell you what organization they represent, if you don't recognize it, just assume it's a scam. Even if you do recognize it, it could be a lie.

I'd say a good many pollsters are PAC based as well.

But, in that last subject, they are letting slip an inherent truth in their ranting. Schumar, among others have ranted, "say goodbye to any chance for 'common sense gun laws'".

It's something they've always known, but they were hoping that they could get away with torturing the Heller decision into meaninglessness.

Let's look at that for a moment. If someone fears that a SCOTUS that adheres to the Constitution, it's meaning, what it's intentions are, would rule against their 'common sense gun law', then they intrinsically know, their 'common sense gun law' is unconstitutional.

Correct. The laws they want are, despite their claims to the contrary, what's truly outside the norm.

Hence their push to repeal the second amendment. That's them admitting they've lost on the gun issue.

Now, will John and Jane Q Public hear this?

They already have. Most states have scaled back on gun control, not pushed for more. John and Jane have had enough of the gun control movement.

If the left doesn't like the second amendment, they ought to work on repealing it by enacting another amendment to do that. For a very long time, the left has used the courts rubber stamp unconstitutional laws...or even to strike down laws they can't repeal through the democratic process. Those days are ending and they feel it in their bones. Kavanaugh, Roberts, and Gorsuch are going to serve on the court for the next 30-40 years. Ginsburg is going to die any day now. Thomas will probably be smart enough to retire and let Trump appoint his replacement. Sotomayor and Kagan will spend the rest of their lives being insignificant.

The ONLY reason I voted for Trump is for the Supreme Court appointments. I'm very satisfied with my choice.

If "Tricky Dicky" Durbin IS a Catholic as he claims, how does he resolve the dichotomy of his "faith" and his politics, considering how the dims are so "pro-abortion"??? :no:

I'm thinking it was only a Catholic problem in the US. And there have always been sanctioned exceptions here. Abortion has never been a problem in Europe, or Italy... Even the Irish Catholics are officially pro-abortion now and they'll all get to "heaven" to reunite with their never born children.

To say that DD or the Democratic Party and it's voters are "pro-abortion" is... incorrect.

If "Tricky Dicky" Durbin IS a Catholic as he claims, how does he resolve the dichotomy of his "faith" and his politics, considering how the dims are so "pro-abortion"??? :no:

I'm thinking it was only a Catholic problem in the US. And there have always been sanctioned exceptions here. Abortion has never been a problem in Europe, or Italy... Even the Irish Catholics are officially pro-abortion now and they'll all get to "heaven" to reunite with their never born children.

To say that DD or the Democratic Party and it's voters are "pro-abortion" is... incorrect.

To say that the Democrat Party and Dick Durbin is not pro-abortion is ....incorrect.

Abortion is rare yet seems to the holy grail of the Democrat Party.

Funny thing - my wife was just reading something that said never try to reason with a liar because they believe their own lies.

Im not arguing.

I have said as much more than once on this site. The antis want guns gone, period. They know exactly what the 2A represents. Since it would be next to impossible to change it they try to reinterpret it to justify their actions.

100% agree. Any "common sense gun laws" they pass are just stepping stones to full ban and confiscation. THAT is their end goal.

Archived